Johnny Marr on Tony Fletcher Smiths book - excerpt from Mojo (Aug. 2016)

An anonymous person posted the tweet (original post):

@WholeHogg
Some love for @tonyfletcher 's Smiths book from @Johnny_Marr in the new @MOJOmagazine #MozArmy

38803_marr_mojo_excerpt.jpg

Related item:

So Johnny remembers most of the things in Tony Fletchers book happening? Might be because these are his memories and he talked to Tony about them. And it might be because these are the memories of people close to him and they talked to Tony about them. How predictable.

I can't wait for Marr's book... not for his account of what went down in The Smiths but because he's worked with tons of talented people in the years since and I'm sure he's hung out with tons more. As for The Smiths break-up stuff? I'm sure his side of the story would be a little more true to life than Morrissey's but still just more of he said she said. I'd be curious to hear about their recording sessions and whatnot- interesting stories from the road during and after his time with The Smiths. The only non-Smiths Moz stuff I'd be interested in reading in Marr's book is his take on Morrissey's solo work and maybe what he thinks of his (Moz's) songwriting partners past and present. But he's always claimed not to follow Morrissey's career so I know that isn't going to happen (I believe he did follow it to a point but follows the "if you don't have anything nice to say..." philosophy.)

I can't wait for Marr's book... not for his account of what went down in The Smiths but because he's worked with tons of talented people in the years since and I'm sure he's hung out with tons more. As for The Smiths break-up stuff? I'm sure his side of the story would be a little more true to life than Morrissey's but still just more of he said she said. I'd be curious to hear about their recording sessions and whatnot- interesting stories from the road during and after his time with The Smiths. The only non-Smiths Moz stuff I'd be interested in reading in Marr's book is his take on Morrissey's solo work and maybe what he thinks of his (Moz's) songwriting partners past and present. But he's always claimed not to follow Morrissey's career so I know that isn't going to happen (I believe he did follow it to a point but follows the "if you don't have anything nice to say..." philosophy.)
Nobody will ever know the reason of the Smiths' breakup. It will remain an unsolved mystery

So Johnny remembers most of the things in Tony Fletchers book happening? Might be because these are his memories and he talked to Tony about them. And it might be because these are the memories of people close to him and they talked to Tony about them. How predictable.
You realize the narrative of the book is shaped by recollections from more than just Johnny and the people he's close to, right?

cant figure out if hes going to unload on moz or not. hopefully hell blast him for being a complete twat and make the book an interesting read, otherwise there is no use to it.

The only non-Smiths Moz stuff I'd be interested in reading in Marr's book is his take on Morrissey's solo work and maybe what he thinks of his (Moz's) songwriting partners past and present. But he's always claimed not to follow Morrissey's career so I know that isn't going to happen (I believe he did follow it to a point but follows the "if you don't have anything nice to say..." philosophy.)

A side-note - I believe in a fairly recent (past few years) interview, Boz said that he had met and had gotten along with Johnny.

Really? Johnny got pissed off with Morrissey's posturing and decided enough was enough.

That's it.

...and as WeirdUncle is close friends with both Morrissey and Marr, we do not need to consider the matter any further...end topic.

Really? Johnny got pissed off with Morrissey's posturing and decided enough was enough.

That's it.

Interesting that you above all others know the exact reason Johnny has decided to write his book now. Tell us more, are you on close personal terms with him?

On a side note, will we ever know the real reasons Johnny quit the band? I've always enjoyed his interviews, he tells his story in an interesting and funny way but when it comes to The Smiths his 'version' of events, when it comes to both the royalties and the break-up has changed about half a dozen times over the years.

Interesting that you above all others know the exact reason Johnny has decided to write his book now. Tell us more, are you on close personal terms with him?

On a side note, will we ever know the real reasons Johnny quit the band? I've always enjoyed his interviews, he tells his story in an interesting and funny way but when it comes to The Smiths his 'version' of events, when it comes to both the royalties and the break-up has changed about half a dozen times over the years.

Johnny might never have sat us all down and given us a blow-by-blow of everything we might be interested in regarding the break-up, but I'm not aware that he's ever said anything inconsistent about it. In a nutshell: being in the Smith's was exhausting and stressful, particularly without a manager; he was finding Morrissey increasingly difficult to work with, because he would treat people badly, not turn up to things etc; there were differences emerging between the two of them about the musical direction of the band and what it should aspire to.

Maybe we will get more than that in his book, but maybe not. Morrissey covered the whole break-up in a single sentence and told us precisely nothing about it.

Johnny might never have sat us all down and given us a blow-by-blow of everything we might be interested in regarding the break-up, but I'm not aware that he's ever said anything inconsistent about it. In a nutshell: being in the Smith's was exhausting and stressful, particularly without a manager; he was finding Morrissey increasingly difficult to work with, because he would treat people badly, not turn up to things etc; there were differences emerging between the two of them about the musical direction of the band and what it should aspire to.

Maybe we will get more than that in his book, but maybe not. Morrissey covered the whole break-up in a single sentence and told us precisely nothing about it.

I'm referencing who he believed planted the break-up story in the NME. Also the part where what was exactly discussed in Geale's seems to have altered slightly over the years. In one interview I also remember him stating that it was always his intention to form the band and then leave the band. Interesting in as much as if that was his intention from the beginning I don't think he ever told the rest of the band that. I've heard him say that if he had been given some space he would have probably returned to the band. I've also heard him say that after the Geale's meeting he was adamant he'd never return to the band. I've also heard him say the band brke up because musically he felt too con fined. I've also heard him say that he left the band because Morrissey had simply become too much.

I'm referencing who he believed planted the break-up story in the NME. Also the part where what was exactly discussed in Geale's seems to have altered slightly over the years. In one interview I also remember him stating that it was always his intention to form the band and then leave the band. Interesting in as much as if that was his intention from the beginning I don't think he ever told the rest of the band that. I've heard him say that if he had been given some space he would have probably returned to the band. I've also heard him say that after the Geale's meeting he was adamant he'd never return to the band. I've also heard him say the band brke up because musically he felt too con fined. I've also heard him say that he left the band because Morrissey had simply become too much.

I'm having a hard time working out exactly where you think he's changed his story. Has he ever said that he never believed Morrissey planted the NME story? I think he did say in a recent interview that he planned to be the first to leave the Smiths if he sensed that Morrissey was going to. But, so what? Maybe he was adamant after eating his chips that he'd never return, maybe later on he could have seen a scenario where it could have happened. I'm not seeing anything contradictory here.

Well he said a lot of that stuff in different interviews. Each interview seemed to have a different reason when he was asked the question. Nothing so much contradictory but still always evolving which is changing

That's it.
Not surprising that this is your recollection of the events. You seem to be in a constant state of being pissed off with Morrissey. Doesn't that get exhausting?

cant figure out if hes going to unload on moz or not. hopefully hell blast him for being a complete twat and make the book an interesting read, otherwise there is no use to it.
Which in turn makes you useless unless you're complaining about Morrissey on this site. Otherwise what use are you?

Which in turn makes you useless unless you're complaining about Morrissey on this site. Otherwise what use are you?

geemoneti, I forgot you not being a sharpest knife.
the only reason anyone would actually BUY his book is to read about his breakup with moz, absolutely nobody is interested in his sessios with The The.
actually now that i think about it, you may buy to read about The The.

I'll wait to see what the consensus is on whether his book is a "must read" or not. I'm not a huge fan of any of Marr's non-Smiths stuff (maybe Electronic but I do think they were the worst of New Order and uninspired Marr playing)...

I respect Marr for his work in The Smiths and what he went through running things there but his solo albums have been pants and being a self declared artist is dumb (even though he is) and calling himself working-class is laughable. I wonder if his book will be even half as smug as his tweets.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom