Judge John Weeks dead (April 2021)

Excerpt:

His Honour John Weeks QC​

It is with much regret that we report that Master Weeks (His Honour John Weeks QC) sadly died on the Easter weekend, aged 82. The Inn’s flag will fly at half-mast on Monday 19 April 2021, in his memory.

Master Weeks was called to the Bar in 1963 and took Silk in 1983. In 1991 he was appointed a circuit judge on the Western Circuit and as a Chancery Circuit judge in 1997 until his retirement in 2006.

He was elected a Judicial Governing Bencher in 1996.

Details of any funeral and/or memorial service will be circulated as appropriate in due course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yessir, I wasn't suggesting for a moment that Andy contributed no baselines to the Smiths. My understanding is that it was standard for Andy to come up with his own parts, at least after the first album.
It sounds like Johnny Marr worked a lot of stuff out in the recording studio and he pushed Andy Rourke to play better and gave him encouragement. People know that Johnny Marr and Andy Rourke's friendship goes back to their school days it sounds like they had quite an intense friendship at one point. Andy Rourke's heroin addiction and other drugs probably got in the way for a while. They had a falling out after the court case in the High Court, but they are friends again now. Andy Rourke now lives in New York City and Johnny Marr has a place in Portland in the USA. Andy Rourke was working in a band called "Blitz Vega" before the pandemic, but not sure what has happened to the band now.

It sounds like Johnny Marr worked a lot of stuff out in the recording studio and he pushed Andy Rourke to play better and gave him encouragement. People know that Johnny Marr and Andy Rourke's friendship goes back to their school days it sounds like they had quite an intense friendship at one point. Andy Rourke's heroin addiction and other drugs probably got in the way for a while. They had a falling out after the court case in the High Court, but they are friends again now. Andy Rourke now lives in New York City and Johnny Marr has a place in Portland in the USA. Andy Rourke was working in a band called "Blitz Vega" before the pandemic, but not sure what has happened to the band now.

Why do you keep posting stuff people already know Andrea?

We know from Dale Hibbert, answering questions on this very site, that Johnny wrote the early baselines, including The Hand That Rocked, Handsome Devil and Suffer Little Children. Of course, Andy was not around at that point.

A guitarist and bassist who perfectly understood each other musically was one of the Smiths' strengths.
Interesting info.

We know from Dale Hibbert, answering questions on this very site, that Johnny wrote the early baselines, including The Hand That Rocked, Handsome Devil and Suffer Little Children. Of course, Andy was not around at that point.

A guitarist and bassist who perfectly understood each other musically was on of the Smiths' strengths.

Johnny played bass on the first Electronic album - I've read where some of the songs started as bass riffs. He is perfectly capable of playing some funky bass.

Johnny played bass on the first Electronic album - I've read where some of the songs started as bass riffs. He is perfectly capable of playing some funky bass.
I think he played bass on the first two albums and Jimi Goodwin, the singer from Doves played bass on the last one.

Let’s cut to the race. Morrissey got screwed over by the ingrained English Legal system, as did Oscar W, because he was IRISH ☘️ Shame on the Irish brothers who allowed it. Someone else on this site, who appears to be obsessed with ‘Brown folk’ lol, seems to me to think it’s acceptable to despise the Irish and doesn’t consider that RACISM. Their day of shame will come.

Johnny Rogan and Judge John Weeks have both died this year 2021.

There's no bass on the first Electronic album that comes within a country mile of what Rourke played on The Smiths' records.

I actually think the Ringo anology is perfect here. The Beatles performed for a few years, playing twice a day 6 days a week at the Cavern, with Pete Best on drums. Then off they went to Hamburg for 18 months / 2 years or so, really honing in on their looks and playing etc. Sadly losing Stuart Sutcliffe along the way.
They return to Liverpool and start to make it big.... and sack Pete Best for Ringo on the eve of recording their first single. In fact George Martin wasn't impressed with Ringo and had a session drummer play on their first single Please Please Me.
As John Lennon famously remarked, Ringo wasnt even the best drummer in The Beatles.
Yet Mike Joyce played at every single Smiths gig. Performed drums on every song that had drums on. He certainly has more claim to being a Smith than Ringo does to being a Beatle. Yet no one gives Ringo a hard time. Ringo joined and got instant success on the back of all the hard grafting that Pete Best had done.
Mike (and Andy) joined when the band were playing to the proverbial 4 men and a dog and travelling up and down the M6 / M1 for every gig. Yes it could have been 2 other people. But it wasn't.
They put the shift in and did the donkey work to help The Smiths get to where they got to - and deserve their proper share of the rewards for doing so.
John Lennon never said that. It's one of those things that has been repeated so much that lots of people believe it. I almost wrote the same thing in a post recently and decided to google it first. Turns out it's not true. Check.

As far as the 25% thing, I believe it's fair that they all got that, but even if it wasn't "fair" which is subjective, it was what is legally correct when no contract exists (or can be proven to exist, which legally is the same thing.)
This has all been argued so much and lots of people who argue it do so based on emotion. But the facts are the facts and it was a solid legal decision. If M&M wanted it any other way they should have made sure it was plain and clear.

That was my point. At the time of the trial, there was empirical evidence that Morrissey and Marr were ultimately the driving force of the band's success. That was the decision the court was meant to make: were Rourke and Joyce as valuable to the Smiths as m and m? They were not; in fact, most people who are not obsessed with the Smiths probably would not recognize their names. Again, I'm not in any way diminishing their talents, just saying that at the time of the court case, it was clear that Moz and Marr were the reason the band had been so successful.

Doesn't really matter now, and as you stated, the greatest failure was not having good management, who would have seen to proper contracts and also being too young and not knowing the business. It's just a shame that they all couldn't have found an amicable way to settle. Who knows if things would be different today.

lynnda
Great post!

John Lennon never said that. It's one of those things that has been repeated so much that lots of people believe it. I almost wrote the same thing in a post recently and decided to google it first. Turns out it's not true. Check.

Apparently it was Jaspar Carrot who originally cracked the joke. Something of a first for him. Ironic that his only joke should end up being credited to someone else.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom