Jumping the Shark

Does a show or book jumping the shark ruin the entire series?

• Yes! It gets boring if it goes nowhere.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No, I'll remember what was good about it.

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • I'm easy to please so no.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

peptastic

If a book series or TV show 'jumps the shark' and starts to suck quality wise does this ruin the entire thing for you?
I find my appreciation for musicians doesn't diminish even if I'm not a fan of their new stuff but when it comes to TV shows once it sucks I find I don't want to watch the good episodes anymore.
The same goes for books.
Luckily for me I lost interest in Lost during season two. I heard fans were quite upset over the finale. The same went for the Sopranos.

I was quite into Pretty Little Liars until two weeks ago when the season finale was an unmitigated disaster. There were parts I always found silly and the show runner behaves like a teenybopper [she bans people from twitter who don't approve of the highschooler/teacher romance] but they had so many good things going for awhile. Creepy pedos who drank milk as possible murders. It was the new Twin Peaks for me. [I loved that show when I was 11]
The producers lied too many times over and did the cop out ending. Now the previous enjoyable episodes are a suckfest. Everyone running mystery shows should take a page from J.K Rowling's book. "I can't tell you."
Not "Well it won't be so and so... it'll be heartbreaking... exciting.. you'll find out who the killer is... you'll find out whose stalking the girls..." and then not do it.
JKR never told us what happened in Harry Potter and she did it without misleading information. She used legitimate red herrings.
I'm ashamed my guilty pleasure stopped being a pleasure and I expected something of a teen show on ABC family.
But dang it why do writers pull the "It's for teens" so they can be lazy and cop out?

I.T Crowd isn't as funny to me now that the later seasons are boring. The same could be said of Supernatural.
Once the creative period goes... it diminishes the good period. I shouldn't complain My-So Called Life lasted for one season. It was never ruined.

I liked the first 8 Sookie Stackhouse/Southern Vampyre mystery books from Charlaine Harris but she decided to keep it going longer and ran out of ideas. True Blood sucked in season two.
The whole thing is ruined for me.

J.K Rowling needs to teach a seminar. Plan where your going beforehand [Lost], don't lie to fans [PLL] and end it when it's time [Sookie Stackhouse].

Back
Top Bottom