Linder on Morrissey in Guardian (18/01/2020)

A very nice interview with Linder Sterling in today’s The Guardian:

How the artist Linder went from Orgasm Addict to Chatsworth House - Observer Design

Excerpt:

She also became known as Morrissey’s muse and went on to photograph him extensively in the early 90s as he toured the US. “We shared the same taste, liked the same books,” she says. “We shared a house for a brief period in Whalley Range – it was a red-light district then.” With his counterintuitive views on the far-right For Britain party, Morrissey is a touchy subject these days, but Linder is loyal. “We’ve always disagreed,” she says. “It’s a healthy disagreement, the sort that comes with unconditional love.”

Just a shame about the unnecessary framing, The Guardian.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Bigots are people with strong opinions who hate other people because of them. Turning on a friend you loved after over 40 years because of something he believed, or you thought he believed, would be bigoted.

she would make a good inmate in PRISONER CELL BLOCK H,she could be vinegar tits muse.

The wonderful Linder shows twats like Skinny how to disagree like an adult. Moz is allowed to express views on immigration and Islam - as we all are - doesn't mean he needs to be crucified.

The wonderful Linder shows twats like Skinny how to disagree like an adult. Moz is allowed to express views on immigration and Islam - as we all are - doesn't mean he needs to be crucified.

Also, to be morally consistent you'd have to shun anyone from a socially or religiously conservative background who didn't explicitly denounce their background & that would mean shunning the vast majority of the world's population.

Didn’t Linder do a series of photos called morrissey shot...

Yes, it collects the pictures she took on the Kill Uncle tour which were also mentioned in the article.
She also did the footage of the fans being interviewed that was included on Who Put The M In Manchester.

Depending, that might make her more of a mentor.

A muse tends to be lower status & they're part of your work, rather than you part of their work.

But I didn't even exist back then, so I can only guess! :)
Whilst it has gendered connotations, to be a muse is to be more affecting than affected in a productive relationship.

As Linder was somewhat established as an artist, through her work for The Buzzcocks, the label ‘muse’ could be justified.

Also shaming & shunning people increases 'bigoted' views, by making them feel humiliated, which makes them more angry, which pushes them towards extremists because no one else will talk to them.

And anyone who quietly agrees with anything they say will fear that they'll be shamed & shunned next & that fear will start pushing them closer to extremists who at least can be trusted not to shame them.

And you wake up one day to find the entire left can fit in Monorail & everyone else, including most BAME and LGBT people are on the right shielding themselves from the shunners.

Also shaming & shunning people increases 'bigoted' views, by making them feel humiliated, which makes them more angry, which pushes them towards extremists because no one else will talk to them.

And anyone who quietly agrees with anything they say will fear that they'll be shamed & shunned next & that fear will start pushing them closer to extremists who at least can be trusted not to shame them.

And you wake up one day to find the entire left can fit in Monorail & everyone else, including most BAME and LGBT people are on the right shielding themselves from the shunners.
What's BAME?

Everyone who comes here is indebted to Morrissey. He’s changed all our lives for the better. One could argue that even the impudence of the nastier contributors is an effect born of Morrissey’s influence (though the latter has a level of class which has clearly failed to rub off, onto them).

Bigots are people with strong opinions who hate other people because of them. Turning on a friend you loved after over 40 years because of something he believed, or you thought he believed, would be bigoted.

It's a good shot, but you'll need to spell this one out to skinny just so he'll understand it...I almost can't be arsed but the guy is so thick...

....ok no time, let me help; I'll type it ssslllooowwwlllyyy:

Skinny, a bigot is a person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions. Got it yet?

Ergo, YOU are are a bigot in all senses of the word. You're also ignorant of the English language & its uses.

Ergo, everyone on this site, with the exception of a few nutjobs, is a bigot. Why? B'cos we are intolerant of your views.

You & your clones/nutjobs are bigots. Why? B'cos you & they are intolerant of our views. So we have an impasse which leads to friction.

See, it's quite simple, & we're all bigots in one shape or form, so hey, no great shakes, bigotry is all around us.
I'm also a Tory voter, so in your world I am a racist too, so what?... live with it. You're not going to buy me a pint, & I wouldn't buy you one either. C'est la vie.

Nope. That’s the Guardian framing her comment in that context. She’s talking generally.

True OS: however skinny will clutch at any straw available to support his jaded views...you know how he works; facts and context are meaningless in his, distorted, version of the world.

I enjoyed the article. But the real treat came at the end, where readers are asked to make a financial donation to support The Guardian’s “open” journalism.

“Everyone’s laughing!”

It's ironic that the 'callers' eventually become the 'called' as the spectrum balance shifts; the previous majority (callers) become the minority, almost in reverse proportions to previous. It's called dynamics. Reap what you sow I say.

I enjoyed the article. But the real treat came at the end, where readers are asked to make a financial donation to support The Guardian’s “open” journalism.

“Everyone’s laughing!”

Yep, that's their model, has been for a couple of years. They'll struggle to be around soon.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom