"List of the Lost" review in NME; media mentions

An anonymous person writes (original post):

Here's another review, this time from the NME. Interesting that the NME have been full of gushing praise for Moz for the last couple of years, but even they are slagging the book off:

"List Of The Lost is a confused, often quite embarrassing slab of cringeworthy sex, clichés and bizarre, stilted dialogue...
Imagine Morrissey bent double, pumping away at his bulbous salutation, and you’ve imagined his book."

Morrissey - 'List Of The Lost' by Jordan Bassett (2 of 5) - NME.com
A bizarrely cringeworthy and overblown debut from the musical icon

An anonymous person also writes (original post):

The NME presents: 'Nine nice things to say about Morrissey's much-ridiculed debut novel', so hurrah! - some positivity...though admittedly they also refer to List of the Lost as an 'unreadable pamphlet' and 'a book so embarrassing it’s like seeing your dad wanking.'

Nine Nice Things To Say About Morrissey's Much-Ridiculed Debut Novel by Jordan Bassett - NME blog

Forget Morrissey’s ‘bulbous salutation’, here are my good sex awards by Flic Everett - Comment is free / The Guardian
The singer’s debut novel has been deservedly mocked for its lurid sex scenes. If only he’d studied Flaubert, Kundera or Chaucer before he started writing …

Gaia Vince, Oliver Morton and the verdict on Morrissey – books podcast - The Guardian

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, its a very interesting interview don't you think, gives a real insight into how they made the album.

I agree. A very collaboartive effort. No egos seemed to have gotten in the way. Unlike another band we all love. :D

They are doing a live radio gig in a couple of weeks featuring a lot of the new album, if its possible I will post a link to it.

Please do. :)

Bernard mentions getting a call from Johnny Marr at 48:35 regarding Tutti Frutti.

"Mmhm? Frutti, you say? What an unexpected word. I, Johnny, am like, reaaal surprised! Well I never...Where did that even...In relation to wh-"

I'm just slightly too young to have seen joy division live so can't comment on that, I think most bands have some weak tracks on every album, morrissey included, these days I have playlists made up with my favourite songs fron different albums, the only morrissey album I'll listen to in full is vauxhall and I , for me the only band who don't have weak tracks are the cure and that's probably why they play full albums at some of their concerts

Great to see you two having a civil conversation, keep it up.

Benny-the-British-Butcher

btw, johnny marr favorited a tweet from NME about Morrisey tumblr_nvbzbhd9O91ucpl6oo1_500.jpg

Agree. His liner notes for Under the Influence and Southpaw Grammar were witty and insightful, even if they already showed his tendencies to go purple.

I feel a bit sad for him. I have a feeling he had high hopes, that he did not expect this amount of criticism and that he quite underestimated the "serious" world of books and critics. But it was naïve to the extreme not to have his text edited by a professional. There is no shame in having your book edited whatsoever, happens all the time.

I completely agree with you. He was mad to release the book without an editor, who probably could have pulled something salvageable out of it. I think he misunderstands the relationship between writers and editors. It's a partnership, not a fight. Every great novelist of the last hundred years or more have had their novels edited, ffs.

i wonder if moz has ever said anything bad about johnny in public. even the healers album

i wonder if moz has ever said anything bad about johnny in public. even the healers album

A couple of years ago, he said in a tv interview "I don't like Johnny Marr", which is about as clear as you can get. I'm only aware of three occasions Johnny has been disrespectful in public about Morrissey. This, commenting in a documentary about Morrissey firing people who got too close to Johnny, and commenting that he declined to reform the Smiths for a farewell gig with the jokey suggestion that Morrissey might have kidnapped him if he did.

A couple of years ago, he said in a tv interview "I don't like Johnny Marr", which is about as clear as you can get. I'm only aware of three occasions Johnny has been disrespectful in public about Morrissey. This, commenting in a documentary about Morrissey firing people who got too close to Johnny, and commenting that he declined to reform the Smiths for a farewell gig with the jokey suggestion that Morrissey might have kidnapped him if he did.

i also i think remember the alf wank comment in regards to our frank. wasnt aware of the other two but was curious. seems petty

i also i think remember the alf wank comment in regards to our frank. wasnt aware of the other two but was curious. seems petty

That's not something that Johnny said publicly. It was second-hand gossip from his journalist which may or may not have been true. In any event, there's no denying Our Frank was a below-par single, and it's hardly a crime to have made fun of it in private.

i don't know if it is the same interview you are referring to, but he said that he declined the farewell gig because it could've end up like the film The Collector (about a man who kidnaps a young girl) :straightface:

That's not something that Johnny said publicly. It was second-hand gossip from his journalist which may or may not have been true. In any event, there's no denying Our Frank was a below-par single, and it's hardly a crime to have made fun of it in private.

Didn't know that but OK. Kill uncle for sure does have weak spots but I don't think our frank was one of them. I like it more so than say certain people I know or we hate when our friends become successful

Didn't know that but OK. Kill uncle for sure does have weak spots but I don't think our frank was one of them. I like it more so than say certain people I know or we hate when our friends become successful

OK fair enough, everyone has their opinion. But the main thing is there's nothing very wrong with Johnny expressing his in private, if he ever did.

Kill Uncle - fantastic album
Our Frank single - great single
Our Frank video - fabulous video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmL6Nr1jgYc

Has Morrissey ever written or recorded anything you don't like?

I remember Marr saying he hadn't enjoyed any of Morrissey's albums to date back in the 90s. However, that came after Morrissey had said that he didn't think Johnny would expect him to enjoy 'Electronics' and that it's a shame that he gives his music to 'people who can't write lyrics very well'.

whats good for the goose is good for the gander.
moz likes to dish it out but not so much to take criticism.

I think he misunderstands the relationship between writers and editors. It's a partnership, not a fight.

Likewise, I suspect he has a tendency to misunderstand the relationship between a singer and simpatico collaborators (JM, Street, Alain, Spencer, Mike Farrell).

Has Morrissey ever written or recorded anything you don't like?

I remember Marr saying he hadn't enjoyed any of Morrissey's albums to date back in the 90s. However, that came after Morrissey had said that he didn't think Johnny would expect him to enjoy 'Electronics' and that it's a shame that he gives his music to 'people who can't write lyrics very well'.

marr is crap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00V51h5eqxw
KIll Uncle: very good

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom