"List of the Lost" review in The Times

An anonymous person posts:

listofthelost_times.jpg

List of the Lost by Morrissey by Melissa Katsoulis - The Times (subscription required)

Last edited by a moderator:
when a review calls your book unreadable and you take it as a compliment you know maybe you should quit writing books.
list of the lost is completely unreadable.
the only interesting thing about it is that seems to confirm that moz lives inside a quasi victorian mindset.
that would explain why he would set himself up for such ridicule by releasing this awful book. its a terrible book you dont need a critic to tell you that.

Being at a point in life caring for a parent, I love the following excerpt:

"I shall be the prop of your old age...sunny-natured, I shall take your arm, and together we shall always punch aside hastening death. There would always be time, and death has already taken so many others that it can not possibly need you."

Morrissey can write. You just have to look deep for the meaning and purpose.

Last edited:

"I shall be the prop of your old age...sunny-natured, I shall take your arm, and together we shall always punch aside hastening death. There would always be time, and death has already taken so many others that it can not possibly need you."

Very beautiful and poetic. His novel isn't written on a 3rd grade level so I can see why some on this site can't follow it.

She mainly seems desperate not to write the same review that's already been written multiple times. She seems to acknowledge all of the books failings for which it has been pilloried elsewhere, but also points out that there are nice sentences in it here and there. Which, fair enough, is not false, but it seems a bit of a weak argument to put in defence of the book. A bit like "yes, the cake was moldy and the waitress sneezed on it, but it had little bits of chocolate in, and everyone likes chocolate, don't they?"

She wasn't desperate. Hers is different because she was doing her job, which was to review the book rather than to review Morrissey -- something many of the others were incapable of resisting.

Only slightly to differ here, would be the subject on which the opinion is rendered. If I am feeling ill, I am much more interested in a doctor's opinion than a mechanics, and if my car has problems vice versa. I would lay more weight on a literary critics opinion of a book than some random individual because (in theory) it is their specialty/field of study. Still in the end I agree that it is but one person's opinion.

this is correct i think. people taking critics opinions to extremes is the problem i think when people have issues with critics in general. you dont take a critics opinion as an end all be all but you might try out something they recommend or speak highly of and if you like it you might come back to that specific critic as theyre opinions might be similar to your own or give you insight that you appreciate. the more you try this the more you can see how much aligned they are you your own opinions and to me the times has a very good and long history of being a good literary critics.

also yes, thats a line that can ring true for many around or over the age of forty. its a devastating experience for anyone i believe trying to keep away your own feelings of pain and loss so as not to make the fearfully near death more afraid. i have not always succeeded myself

I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive, so I can't comment on my personal reaction to the book, but one thing that I've found annoying about the reviews is the mandatory mention of clumsy sex scenes. If Morrissey wrote a contrived, stylized, fantasy sexual encounter, I would truly be disappointed. This is a man who has illuminated the darkest, ugliest human emotions, from envy, loneliness, humiliation, and regret to relentless depression. He talks about the universal feelings that we are all suppose to hide behind pleasant facades. Yes, sex can be amazing, but it can also be awkward and embarrassing in certain situations, and I wouldn't expect him to write about it any other way.

Another complaint is his style of writing. The very first words I ever heard uttered from this man were "punctured bicycle on a hillside desolate..."; not exactly the style of a modern pop music lyricist, but that is exactly why I found him fascinating. Morrissey has always written under the influence of the 19th centruy authors that he admires, and if you don't like that era of literature, then you probably won't enjoy his approach.

As for reviews, I do understand that they can be helpful, especially if you are searching for new artists and authors; however, they can't be considered the definitive assessment. I was scanning the television recently and noticed that the movie "Ted" was given four stars. This essentially means that the critic in this case felt that a movie about a foul-mouth talking teddy bear is on par with Citizen Kane, Sophie's Choice, a Clockwork Orange, and other film classics. Ultimately, you have to read the book for yourself and form your own opinion. I'm looking forward to it.

lynnda

I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive, so I can't comment on my personal reaction to the book, but one thing that I've found annoying about the reviews is the mandatory mention of clumsy sex scenes. If Morrissey wrote a contrived, stylized, fantasy sexual encounter, I would truly be disappointed. This is a man who has illuminated the darkest, ugliest human emotions, from envy, loneliness, humiliation, and regret to relentless depression. He talks about the universal feelings that we are all suppose to hide behind pleasant facades. Yes, sex can be amazing, but it can also be awkward and embarrassing in certain situations, and I wouldn't expect him to write about it any other way.

Another complaint is his style of writing. The very first words I ever heard uttered from this man were "punctured bicycle on a hillside desolate..."; not exactly the style of a modern pop music lyricist, but that is exactly why I found him fascinating. Morrissey has always written under the influence of the 19th centruy authors that he admires, and if you don't like that era of literature, then you probably won't enjoy his approach.

As for reviews, I do understand that they can be helpful, especially if you are searching for new artists and authors; however, they can't be considered the definitive assessment. I was scanning the television recently and noticed that the movie "Ted" was given four stars. This essentially means that the critic in this case felt that a movie about a foul-mouth talking teddy bear is on par with Citizen Kane, Sophie's Choice, a Clockwork Orange, and other film classics. Ultimately, you have to read the book for yourself and form your own opinion. I'm looking forward to it.

lynnda

well said

There are hundreds of books, films, plays and albums out every month.
If there were no reviews, how would you work which were worth seeing/buying?
You can't read much into an individual review but if most of them are agreeing that something is rubbish or something is brilliant, it's usually an accurate indication.

I agree with you there. I would read reviews from other users on amazon before i would read the review of a critic who works for a magazine. That's what I was trying to say.

She wasn't desperate. Hers is different because she was doing her job, which was to review the book rather than to review Morrissey -- something many of the others were incapable of resisting.

I think this correct as well. They're looking for Morrissey or at least what little they know of him in every aspect of the novel and are expressing I think in part how they already feel about that little bit they think they know. Its very rare that so many have so many hard formed opinions of an author before they've even published there first novel

I've been going through some mad depression lately, and I really loved the paragraph that read '"It's very hard to accept your powers are limited' she later explained to Harri, and the sun struck at a certain angle like a hint from nature that there would certainly be another tomorrow, and that it ought to be lived".

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom