"List of the Lost" reviews in The Guardian, The Daily Beast

I'll make up my own mind, but The Guardian are not impressed...

Morrissey: What we learned about him from List of the Lost by Michael Hann - The Guardian blog
Morrissey’s first novel is out and … well, it’s not very good. But the classic Moz tropes are present and correct

Excerpt:

"It’s commonplace in this kind of article to tell you we’re reading the book so you don’t have to. It’s a tease, usually. In the case of List of the Lost, however, it’s absolutely true. Do not read this book; do not sully yourself with it, no matter how temptingly brief it seems. All those who shepherded it to print should hang their heads in shame, for it’s hard to imagine anything this bad has been put between covers by anyone other than a vanity publisher. It is an unpolished turd of a book, the stale excrement of Morrissey’s imagination."

By the way ... I note at the very beginning "The author would like to thank Helen Conford"

The Dailybeast say...

Morrissey’s First Novel ‘List of the Lost’ Is a Bizarre, Misogynistic Ramble by Nico Hines - The Daily Beast
The writing is laughably clunky, the characters thinly drawn, the style stilted. But what’s worst about the ex-Smiths frontman’s List of the Lost is its repulsive treatment of women.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something else which has just occurred to me, is Morrissey's recent (?) interest in the beat poets/writers, i.e Ginsberg, Kerouac (Neal Cassidy Drops Dead...). Maybe this could help explain or account for some of the more lyrical, jazzy larger passages within the book thematically?
The passage with the Wretch could certainly be seen as Kerouac inspired, maybe even Burroughs?

By and large if you want proper discourse about the book I would both avoid talking sincerely about it on these comment pages or reading reviews, as they've shown themselves unable to properly analyse the book, instead falling back on click bait ''list'' articles the aim of which is re-tweets and facebook likes, not discussion.

This is by no means an insult to the users here, it's clearly just too much of a hotbed for argument rather than proper discussion. The discussion ALWAYS becomes about the discussion and whether people are allowed their point of view in said discussion which is utterly tedious at best.

Having almost finished the novel my take is that it does have merit, and plenty of content which doesn't smack of over written alliteration. The reviews which hinge around the fact there's some clumsy lines in there are clearly going for digestible articles that don''t need to be read as much as glanced at. Those lines exist, but also aren't exceptionally frequent.

The narrative itself if quaint and charming, sort of has all the small, close knit cast of characters you come to feel affection for that you'd find maybe in a Salinger novel, mixed with the boisterous camaraderie of something like The History Boys. This is frequently interspersed with some quite obvious and maybe thinly veiled analysis on many areas they find themselves in, from Morrissey himself, or ''The Author'' as it were.

I think this structure is on purpose, as the blurb itself suggests ''Beware the novelist... intimate and indiscreet ... pompous, prophetic airs... here is the fact of fiction''. The narrative is very cutesy and cuddly at times (often the titular characters are referred to often as 'our' boys), something which is underpinned often by the writers analysis, showing us ''behind the curtain'' at times, what lies behind their motives, in larger contexts which often talk about war, nature, social class etc. In a way it often reminded me of Twin Peaks, in that we have this quaint, pulpy backdrop behind which these larger, darker themes exist (the horrific magic realism that comes into play within the book especially a certain scene within the woods with a hobo reminded me of this quite alot). I do think the disparity and breakneck way in which the narrative twists from fiction, to analysis of that fiction is on purpose and is not without merit.

Having said that, I do think the book is quite messy in this regard. Whereas something like Twin Peaks offers a pulpy, frothy drama in which the horrors and darkness of suburbia lies beneath, gives you both sides (the narrative and the larger themes), I think List of the Lost often relies too heavily on the analysis part. Too often does Morrissey tangentially go on to enthuse about a subject (something I'm not adverse to as a fan) and seemingly forget about the plot, and in that respect I can see how from an objective viewpoint it can be frustrating for someone expecting a straight narrative. For me rather than a propulsive forward facing narrative, I think Morrissey has set out to write something that more often than not moves sideways, filling in backstory and motive as opposed to movement. Not always, mind.

Another slight criticism, which as previously mentioned I believe has been blown too out of proportion, is the alliteration and over written one liners that sometimes crop up. They within themselves are not badly written, but do suggest a lifetime of being a lyricist as opposed to a writer. These lines are jarring in that the writing surrounding them is very much a different style, just as descriptive, but much more noirish, so when one of these lines crops up it does seemingly break the flow. However as mentioned I do believe that these rhyming, half rhyming, almost lymeric lines are the result of being a lyricist for the better part of his life, so I think possibly he could be forgiven for accidently (or not) doing what he does best.

Overall I think the book does have problems, and alot of the criticisms aren't without merit. However I do think the way the press and similarly certain fans have gone about it is quite vitriolic (as usual) and quite unjust. I do think the novel is much more meta, and self analytical (and in parts knowingly silly) than realistic, and certainly much more than the press will give him credit for. Bear in mind the structure and ways of writing novels must be so alien to someone who has spent so long in another form, and as such I think we can afford Morrissey's debut novel some space to be a little lop sided in its structure. Maybe it would benefit from an editor, but for someone who clearly is guarded about his work, why should he? And in that instance I can hope (and hope others hope) that he continues and that his work tightens through familiarity to writing.

I will say I think it's probably much better written than most modern fiction out there and I think by and large reviews are quite redundant in today's day and age (despite having just written one). If you like Morrissey I think personally there's more than enough of him in there for you to enjoy. If you don't know Morrissey there's still alot of great writing in there for readers who like good fiction to enjoy.

Most valid review by far.

Something else which has just occurred to me, is Morrissey's recent (?) interest in the beat poets/writers, i.e Ginsberg, Kerouac (Neal Cassidy Drops Dead...). Maybe this could help explain or account for some of the more lyrical, jazzy larger passages within the book thematically?
The passage with the Wretch could certainly be seen as Kerouac inspired, maybe even Burroughs?

Another fantastic point!!
LIST OF THE LOST - fabulous book.

PaleBlueDot, great post. Wish to see more like this here. I am still waiting for my copy of the book.

What's the "Copyright Whores in Retirement" about in List of the Lost's publisher details page?

kerouac would have committed suicide before writing something like the list of the lost.
it reads more like what an excommunicated catholic priest would write.
its painfully awful. talking good money and burning it.

What's the "Copyright Whores in Retirement" about in List of the Lost's publisher details page?

'Whores in Retirement' is a pseudonym that Morrissey sometimes uses. It just means that it's his copyright. He's been using that moniker on and off for years. As one of several examples, if you look at the sleeve of the 'Boxers' single, it lists 'Sleeve by Whores in Retirement'.

I think people preconceived this book as a writing they could escape into using their imagination while reading. For me this book is to be read like poetry. You have to go slow, think about what you've read, absorb your thoughts and then the visuals will follow. That's how it appears to me from the excerpts I've read. "Reader, meet Author with the hope of hearing sense, but you may be feeling let down, by the words of defence..."

Another savage review from The Telegraph:

"The worst novel I’ve ever read...

The prose is a relentless thumping migraine of alliteration, assonance and rhyme. “Plungingly plump parents laugh loudly.” I suppose it’s meant to sound like James Joyce, but ultimately it’s more like a 40,000-word tongue-twister. And as for the sex... for years Morrissey claimed to be celibate. Now I’ve read his sex scenes, I believe him. They’re laughable.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/cel...but-his-novel-List-of-the-Lost-is-woeful.html

I have never seen this many bad reviews for a book. Will this get a single half-decent newspaper review? It's not looking likely, at this stage!

I think people preconceived this book as a writing they could escape into using their imagination while reading. For me this book is to be read like poetry. You have to go slow, think about what you've read, absorb your thoughts and then the visuals will follow. That's how it appears to me from the excerpts I've read. "Reader, meet Author with the hope of hearing sense, but you may be feeling let down, by the words of defence..."

Sir, nice and correct words from you.

Morrissey writes novels like Jesse Tobias plays guitar. It's that bad. :(

Maybe it's bad but apparently it's more revealing than his autobiography as many people on social network have pointed out. So, at least in that regard it's fascinating to me. Here is some dialogue from twitter ...

Jen Victrola ‏@JenVictrola
In fairness, I think because of the sexual abuse he encountered seems to
manifest in his novel.

Adrianna ‏@jeerthelights
@JenVictrola A lot of his hangups and traumas he's experienced come
across pretty blatantly. It's more revealing than his autobiography.

@jeerthelights Yes, I'm picking up on that. I can relate. They laugh at the
sex scene of the book, but I can sense the trauma.

Adrianna ‏@jeerthelights
@JenVictrola Have you gotten to the homeless tramp's monologue? It's
one of the most transparently autobiographical parts of the book.

@jeerthelights Yes, it's stuck with me because it's much like an onion.
Just layers and layers of his real life experiences in symbolism.

Maybe it's bad but apparently it's more revealing than his autobiography as many people on social network have pointed out. So, at least in that regard it's fascinating to me. Here is some dialogue from twitter ...

In fairness, I think because of the sexual abuse he encountered seems to
manifest in his novel.

Adrianna ‏@jeerthelights
@JenVictrola A lot of his hangups and traumas he's experienced come
across pretty blatantly. It's more revealing than his autobiography.

@jeerthelights Yes, I'm picking up on that. I can relate. They laugh at the
sex scene of the book, but I can sense the trauma.

Adrianna ‏@jeerthelights
@JenVictrola Have you gotten to the homeless tramp's monologue? It's
one of the most transparently autobiographical parts of the book.

@jeerthelights Yes, it's stuck with me because it's much like an onion.
Just layers and layers of his real life experiences in symbolism.

Dear friend, I point out before, it is 'roman a clef'
LIST OF THE LOST - great book.

So, someone's first novel isn't very good (in the eyes of most people). So? It's not the first time this happened and it won't be the last time. The way this gets reported and ridiculed is (as ever) beyond silly. Others have received bad reviews as well but that's it. With Morrissey we have now totally pointless articles like this one http://www.queerty.com/whats-it-lik...ew-novel-suggests-its-probably-awful-20150925. The novel may be a mess but the press coverage caps it all off.

When Morrissey sees the media reaction to this - if he hasn't already - he is going to go into meltdown. It's hard not to feel some sympathy, even if the 'book' is almost unreadable. I can't believe his friends and colleagues had nothing but praise when he showed them this.. they're just setting him up for failure.

When Morrissey sees the media reaction to this - if he hasn't already - he is going to go into meltdown. It's hard not to feel some sympathy, even if the 'book' is almost unreadable. I can't believe his friends and colleagues had nothing but praise when he showed them this.. they're just setting him up for failure.

He has not gone into 'meltdown' and your sympathy is not needed, cheers.

When Morrissey sees the media reaction to this - if he hasn't already - he is going to go into meltdown.

I think the meltdown is the book, and now he's turned the page, and doesn't even care if it isn't read.

He's probably just content we all eeeeeeeewww!!!-ed at the dreadful sex bit.
If he gets depressed about it, I don't think he'll let it show.

Stop sniffing Morrissey. What's done is done.

No one in their right mind was going to read it after that awful autobio, and he knew that all along. He knows some people don't read things that just get published because the author is bankable.
Switzerland ist not da verld.

I don't think he showed the book to his friends. Why should he? He doesn't show his lyrics to anybody either (as far as we know). But someone at Penguin must've read it beforehand, of course. I feel sympathy for him right now because I think he always wants everyone to believe that he gives a shit about what other people say (which may be true to a certain degree) but you can easily tell that the opposite is true.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom