List your 15 Most Memorable Movies

Maybe they're not your favorites.
Maybe they're not critically acclaimed.
But, what are the 15 most memorable movies you've seen?

Re: List your 15 Most Memorable Movies...

Wow, great question! Well, off the top of my head, and not in any particular order....

* "Roman Holiday" (1953)- Audrey Hepburn truly dazzles in this film. She absolutely lights up the screen! And I love the final seven or eight minutes of the film. I love the way it ends. The ending makes sense and I like films where the love interests don't ride off into the sunset, hand in hand, with ridiculous grins on their faces. Life is nothing like that at all.

* "The Pianist" (2002)- This film is the definition of survival. It's memorable to me for that reason, it's a portrait of survival. A truly remarkable film.

* "Napoleon Dynamite" (2004)- This film makes me laugh soooo much!:) I've lived most of my life in Idaho, and the film takes place in tiny Preston, Idaho. ( A lot of it was actually filmed in and around tiny Preston.) I can't tell you how much the screenwriters hit the nail on the head in bringing small town Idaho to life! There are dozens of memorable scenes in this film, and also a lot of touching ones. I wish somehow they could've made a cool sequel, but it's too late now.

*"Shane" (1953)- A quiet masterpiece. I like thoughtful films, and this is an astonishly thoughtful film. Alan Ladd gives a phenomenal performance, as does Jean Arthur in the last film she was ever in. (Jean Arthur is my third favorite actress of all-time.) The cinemaphotography excels in capturing the radiance of Big Sky country (which I've spent a lot of time in.) The last seven or eight minutes of the film are superb. An A+ film all the way.

* "Ride the High Country" (1962)- An incredible rollercoaster ride of a film. It takes several surprising twists & turns and the screenwriting is splendid. Incredibly, Joel McCrea and Randolph Scott's acting is three times better than the screenwriting, especially Randolph Scott. This is one of my Uncle's top five films and for years he was hounding me to watch it. My Uncle is odd, he refuses to listen to music that was released after 1976, promotes himself as a "non-comformist," and still sports his Ronnie Van Zant hair that he has had for decades. His movie tips are hit-and-miss for sure, but damn he hit with this one. A flat out awesome film, even though the one young cowboy character is hella annoying.

RideHighCountry14.jpg

Randolph Scott & Joel McCrea

* "They Might Be Giants" (1971)- This film is so memorable to me because there's truly no other film like it. It's like it came from another bizarre solar system. It's got everything; charm, humor, drama, acrobatics, danger, intrique, twists & turns unlike any other, thoughtfulness, ridiculousness, a giant supermarket food fight, "Grandpa" Al Lewis, everything. It's awesome! Plus it showcases my favorite actor of all-time (George C. Scott), and my second favorite actress (JoAnne Woodward.)I picked my user name, "Justin Playfair," from this film. This is the name of George C. Scott's character, or is it? I'm of the notion that he truly is Sherlock Holmes afterall!

* "Windwalker" (1980) and "The Revenge of the Pink Panther" (1978)- My Dad and Mom got divorced when I was really young. They each got 50% custody of me. I spent every Thanksgiving with Dad and every Christmas with Mom. Anyway, Dad & I always went to the movie theater on the night after Thanksgiving. Year after year we picked the worst movies to see, not by design, but by accident. Five or six years in a row we picked real stinkers. These two bombs really stand out in my memory as being awful. We still laugh about this every now and then.

PInk Panther.jpg Trevor.jpg

I really like Peter Sellers and know nothing about Trevor Howard. I do know each were the stars of memorable Thanksgiving weekend fiascos.

* "Scrooge" (1970)- I love Christmas movies! I love both versions of "Miracle on 34th Street" (1947 and 1994, respectively). I love "A Christmas Story" (1983):)! I have to admit I like "The Santa Clause" (1994). I love "It's A Wonderful Life" (1946), although not technically a Christmas movie, has been adopted as one by virtually everyone. With that stated I love "Scrooge" (1970) more than all of them combined. This is the musical version starring Albert Finney as Ebenezer Scrooge. I love all of the songs, the pacing of the film, the set designs, all of the actors and actresses, and Albert Finney is exquisite! My Mom and I used to watch this every year during Christmas season, and she loves it as much as I do! I love this film!

* "Amadeus" (1984) All I can say is damn, what a film. I know there's been controversy over how factually acurate "Amadeus" (1984) is, but this doesn't detract from my viewing experience. Maybe it should, but it doesn't. Milos Forman is a superb director; as superb as Steven Spielberg is overrated, which is really saying something. F. Murray Abraham and Tom Hulce are absolutely incredible!! What a shame Hollywood chose to completely ignore both of them after this masterpiece. This movie is as near to perfection as a film can get.

* "Harvey" (1950) The ultimate Easter movie, even though it has nothing to do with Easter! Another film my Mom & I used to watch together.

* "Some Like It Hot" (1959) My StepDad's favorite film. My StepDad, my Mom, My StepDad's brother-in-law, two of his friends, and me, watched this film together two weeks before his death of cancer, in September of 2011. My StepDad, and all of us, laughed throughout this Great film. All of us had seen it before, but none of us had seen it in recent years. It was a wonderful night, and I'll never forget it. After everyone went home, except for me, I showed my Mom and StepDad a ninth season ""M*A*S*H" episode entitled, "The Best of Enemies." Neither one of them had seen it before and they were both surprised at how good it was. The half of the episode that features Alan Alda, Mako, and an actor playing a dying North Korean soldier is simply phenomenal.

MASH.gif

"M*A*S*H" "The Best of Enemies"

-I'm three films short, but that's okay. I posted the wrong "M*A*S*H" pic so it ended up in "attached thumbnails."

Attachments

• MASH.jpg
    MASH.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:

Faster Pussycat Kill Kill Kill (1965) just because it is the greatest movie ever made.

Privilege (1967) Steven Shorter (Paul Jones) is the more and more reluctant pop icon, used to control the teenagers of Britain; to keep them in a 'happy' state so they can 'conform' into what they buy and how they behave.

Bad Lieutenant (1992)

Ms. 45 (1981)
tumblr_n06eduam961r4zr8xo3_500.gif

The Final Programme (1973)

And Soon the Darkness (1970)

Theatre of Blood (1973)

The Cars That Ate Paris
(1974)

Wake in Fright
(1971)

Seconds (1966)

Come and See
(1985)

Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom
(1975)

Thriller: A Cruel Picture
(1973)

The Panic in Needle Park (1971)

& recently: The Broken Circle Breakdown (2012)

city of god/city of men

rushmore

the science of sleep

old boy

life is beautiful

billy elliott

blade runner

way of the gun

east of eden

the matrix

o brother where art thou

the last picture show

american beauty

no country for old men

the last unicorn

(just off the top of my head which seemed like a good way to this list)

Justin- Great list so far!

CB- I was really looking forward to seeing your list! I will definitely add them to my watch list. :thumb:

Bad Boy Bubby
Funny Games
The Tit And The Moon
Betty Blue
Hedwig And The Angy Inch
The Tin Drum
Salo
The Devils
The Seventh Seal
One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest
A Clockwork Orange

And.. Taxi Driver
Closely Observed Trains
The Fearless Vampire Hunters
Audition

Planet of the Apes (1968)
The Elephant Man
Raiders of the Lost Arc
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Ordinary People
Betty Blue
The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
Sophie's Choice
A Room With a View
Sex, Lies and Videotape
The Silence of the Lambs
2001: A Space Odyssey
Grey Gardens (1975)
Titanic

Last edited:

Amadeus Directors Cut*
Clue
LA Story
The Graduate
The Song of Bernadette
Royal Tenenbaums
Bottle Rocket
Triplets of Belleville
Being John Malkovich
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Marwencol
Leon: The Professional
The Sweet Hereafter
Tangled
Lost in Translation

Last edited:

Point Blank....Lee Marvin
Lost Highway...Lynch
Blue Velvet
Seventh Seal....Bergman
Straw Dogs....Peckinpah
Lonely are the Brave...Kirk Douglas
Tarzan's Greatest Adventure....Gordon Scott...1959
Gilda...Rita Hayworth
Cool Hand Luke....Paul Newman
Carnal Knowledge.....
Cry Baby.....
Rio Bravo....
Last Exit to Brooklyn
Naked lunch
Hud

Some good lists here....I going to check some of those you all have listed....

Dumb and Dumber
The Conversation
Winter Light
El Sol Del Membrillo
Taste of Cherry
Damnation
Blonde Venus
Batalla en el Cielo
Mirror
The Devil, Probably
Good Morning
Freaks
The Long Goodbye
Black Girl
Barton Fink

Point Blank....Lee Marvin
Lost Highway...Lynch
Blue Velvet
Seventh Seal....Bergman
Straw Dogs....Peckinpah
Lonely are the Brave...Kirk Douglas
Tarzan's Greatest Adventure....Gordon Scott...1959
Gilda...Rita Hayworth
Cool Hand Luke....Paul Newman
Carnal Knowledge.....
Cry Baby.....
Rio Bravo....
Last Exit to Brooklyn
Naked lunch
Hud

Some good lists here....I going to check some of those you all have listed....

7938154954_eae7c018af_o.gif

Dumb and Dumber
The Conversation
Winter Light
El Sol Del Membrillo
Taste of Cherry
Damnation
Blonde Venus
Batalla en el Cielo
Mirror
The Devil, Probably
Good Morning
Freaks
The Long Goodbye
Black Girl
Barton Fink

Dammit soooo good. Wish I thought of that one.

Barton Fink stuck with me for weeks after I saw it in the theater.

Justin- Great list so far!

CB- I was really looking forward to seeing your list! I will definitely add them to my watch list. :thumb:

Thanks, trouble!

I only submitted twelve picks, so I'd like to add three more.

* "Mr. Deeds Goes To Town" (1936). My favorite Frank Capra film! "Arsenic & Old Lace" (1944) is a close second. Gary Cooper and Jean Arthur are both dynamite in "Mr. Deeds..."(1936).

220px-Capra-signed_1930s.jpg

Frank Capra

* "Hero" (2002 release in China; 2004 U.S. release. ). This film is memorable to me for three reasons. Reason #1, it has a great story which is skillfully brought to life by Zhang Yimou. Reason #2, the use of color in the film is amazing! Along with "Pleasantville" (1998), it's the best use of color I've ever seen in a film. Reason #3, I was taking an "Introduction to Cinema" class at the university, and one of our assignments was to go see this film and write a review of it. I was happy with the review I wrote!:)

Hero_blue.jpg

"Hero" (2002)

* "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?" (1969). A haunting film. There's nothing I can write to describe how powerful it is, or how full of desperation it is. A person has to see it for themselves. I'll never forget this film, or the characters within it.

They Shoot Horses, Don't They.jpg

"They Shoot Horses, Don't They?" (1969)

Last edited by a moderator:

off the top of my head as I remember the thousands of films I've seen:

King Kong (1976) - 1st film I saw at a theatre, parents divorced shortly after
Star Wars
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Brazil
Blade Runner
Full Metal Jacket
M
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Patton
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Halloween(1978)
Alien
Terminator
The Wizard of Oz
&

-some of these films I really like, some are just OK, a few are just stuck in my head because of when I saw them, or who I was with, stupid shit like that :rolleyes:

off the top of my head as I remember the thousands of films I've seen:

King Kong (1976) - 1st film I saw at a theatre, parents divorced shortly after
Star Wars
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Brazil
Blade Runner
Full Metal Jacket
M
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Patton

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Halloween(1978)
Alien
Terminator
The Wizard of Oz
&

-some of these films I really like, some are just OK, a few are just stuck in my head because of when I saw them, or who I was with, stupid shit like that :rolleyes:

Both of those picks almost made my list too. Both excellent films. "The French Connection" almost made my list as well.

"Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs" is a great pick! I remember my Mom taking me to see it at the theater when Disney re-issued it.

The Day Of The Jackal
Forbidden Planet
The Godfather
Moby Dick (Gregory Peck)
The Day The Earth Stood Still
Zulu
Alien
The Man Who Wasn't There
The Thing
Blade Runner
The Man Who Would Be King
Goodfellas
Patton
Lawrence Of Arabia

The Day Of The Jackal
Forbidden Planet
The Godfather
Moby Dick (Gregory Peck)
Zulu
Alien
The Man Who Wasn't There
The Thing
Blade Runner
Goodfellas
Patton
Lawrence Of Arabia
anybody that likes these here movies........

Can't be all bad :)

The Day Of The Jackal
Forbidden Planet
The Godfather
Moby Dick (Gregory Peck)
Zulu
Alien
The Man Who Wasn't There
The Thing
Blade Runner
Goodfellas
Patton
Lawrence Of Arabia

Dammit. Looooove this movie.

Ten points to Playfair for taking the time to write a synopsis of each one and why. I'm too tired to explain my reasons. Watch them and you'll notice a pattern.

Back
Top Bottom