Live Webcast of Coachella

I hope to download it soon as I was at the show and still at the venue (camping).

One reason they may have cut songs from the stream was that moz was seriously complaining about the smell. He said it smelled like someone burning/cooking animals (meat). I must admit it was pretty strong as the wind carried to the main stage early in his set.

He even mentioned that it was making him sick, which aside from monitor/sound issues he was having, it was seriously affecting his performance. Halfway he said he hoped it was the burning of human meat instead, which baffeled most of the crowd where I was at (almost everyone there was for McCartney)

I hope to download it soon as I was at the show and still at the venue (camping).

One reason they may have cut songs from the stream was that moz was seriously complaining about the smell. He said it smelled like someone burning/cooking animals (meat). I must admit it was pretty strong as the wind carried to the main stage early in his set.

He even mentioned that it was making him sick, which aside from monitor/sound issues he was having, it was seriously affecting his performance. Halfway he said he hoped it was the burning of human meat instead, which baffeled most of the crowd where I was at (almost everyone there was for McCartney)

Thank you very much Pete.
Very unfortunate that Morrissey was affected by smell of cooking meat. :(

Thanks for that :thumb:

Here is a report on the Moz show,from
http://www.motherjones.com/riff/2009/04/coachella-2009-wrapup-friday

Back on the main stage, delicate piano music announces the imminent arrival of the one and only Morrissey. The 49-year-old singer walks out in a slinky turquoise shirt and coyly, shyly asks, "Can I serenade you?" The crowd seems to think that might be acceptable. He and his band launch into a spirited, rocking version of "This Charming Man," and it's just about as good as it did 25 years ago. "Gracias," he says as it comes to an end, acknowledging his adoring Mexican fan base, many of whom trek in from actual Mexico just a few miles to the south for the show. After a few songs, the wind shifts, and smoke from the barbecues where a variety of meats are cooking blows directly over the VIP area and towards the stage. "I can smell burning flesh," announces Morrissey, anguished. "I hope it's you," he says. They launch into "Some Girls are Bigger Than Others," and it sounds good, but the Mozzer is not happy: he's stopping to gag and cough. I'm sympathetic; I mean, I was only a Smiths-inspired vegetarian for a few months in high school, but if you really believe Meat is Murder, then (to steal a stand-up comedy bit from somebody I can't remember) there's a holocaust going on just over there in the food court. Poor Moz.

When the new (improved?) Morrissey does Smiths songs, it often sounds almost like a cover; the new band is driving and rough but miss some of the chiming melodic subtleties that made Johnny Marr's guitar work so hypnotic. But they finish with an aggressive version of "How Soon Is Now," and it's superb: slightly more emphatic on the big guitar chords, a little more insistent. The lyrics are as heartrendingly brilliant as they were 23 years ago, a paen to the miniscule details and grand horror of loneliness. Micro: you go to a club, and fail at meeting anybody; macro: I am human, and I need to be loved! Its barely-closeted chant of "How can you say I go about things the wrong way" seems even more relevant today. Plus, that beat.

I found this

As someone wrote, this song wasn't in the webcast, right? (I didn't see it....it was early morning here and I had no idea) And yeah, it seems like there was this smell of flesh during this song... but that's festivals I guess :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Ah, it all makes sense now. It was more than the sound.

I found this

As someone wrote, this song wasn't in the webcast, right? (I didn't see it....it was early morning here and I had no idea) And yeah, it seems like there was this smell of flesh during this song... but that's festivals I guess :(

Thanks.

I know a lot of people think he's being precious about the smell of burning flesh, but I wholeheartedly agree with Morrissey; it's hard to be joyous and uplifting when you're confronted with something that you find so offensive.

If he ignored it, he wouldn't be Morrissey.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for the videos and screen caps! I hope this makes it's way to Smithstorrents soon!

Halfway he said he hoped it was the burning of human meat instead, which baffeled most of the crowd where I was at (almost everyone there was for McCartney)

Hehehheheh
evilgrin.gif

I love him more and more each day. :thumb:
I know a lot of people think he's being precious about the smell of burning flesh, but I wholeheartedly agree with Morrissey; it's hard to be joyous and uplifting when you're confronted with something that you find so offensive.

Well put. :clap:

Thanks.

I totally agree. It was on the news here in Sweden that his only demand for the concert in Borås is that the venue is not allowed to serve meat the day of the show. Of course, people disagrees and think it's ridiculous. But I think it's a great idea, I think I'm gonna do the same when I get famous :thumb:

Ah yes. He did use the word "flesh" instead of meat. I got the comments on my camera followed by SGABTO. I'll try to upload in a few hours.

I totally agree. It was on the news here in Sweden that his only demand for the concert in Borås is that the venue is not allowed to serve meat the day of the show. Of course, people disagrees and think it's ridiculous. But I think it's a great idea, I think I'm gonna do the same when I get famous :thumb:
the venue in hamburg did this a few years ago and there were notes hanging "that today on the artist wishes no meat was allowed to serve "
all the newspaper who did wrote reviews of it did mention that...
moz was in good spitits on that day...even though the venue was horrible and the audience subdued...
so do every venue do hold on to that rule or have the likes of hot dogs been sold on his concerts lately?

but generally hot dog sellers never made a big earning when morrissey fans are in town:
:D
tou86.jpg

I was miraculously able to watch the whole thing.
Loved it.
I hope one of those photographers got a photo of the tattoo stickers.
He looked and sounded amazing - even with sound issues.

What a stark contrast between his stage presence -- and everyone who preceded him. And he makes it look effortless.

:bow:
What tattoo stickers?!

This my first post here, so first I would like to say hello to everyone.

I was at the show last night, and must say while I enjoyed Moz's set, I was extremely put off by the Paul McCartney crowd. I was lucky enough to get about three from the front barrier center right. When he came on with This Charming Man, I began moving around a bit, and everyone around me, aside from two girls directly behind me and a handful of people off to my left, were just dead. One guy even turned around and said tried telling me to stop. Others were just staring at me and laughing. I didn't wait in the front for five and a half hours to be a zombie for the only band I came to see. I felt so bad for Morrissey as well because the majority of the people in the front were only there to see Paul. Barely anyone was moving. It definitely didn't have the same feel as other Moz shows. So far away, as well. I felt like there was such a lack of crowd enthusiasm. Poor Moz. And no encores! I guess that's what you have to expect at a fest he isn't headlining.

But with all that said, I still loved him. In my opinion, he was spectacular and I was pleased with the songs he chose. I just wished he would have thrown the shirt towards my direction for there was barely anyone around who would have even blinked an eye to have had it. But he made my night. He is why I went and I don't regret it.

"I smell burning flesh. And I hope to God it's human." Oh, I love you...

Ah, I am pretty sure those are my arms and head on the left corner in the Some Girls video that was posted. I just hope you cannot hear my dreadful voice.

He just can't be bothered anymore, I'm a fan and am disappointed...I don't know, he might be tired of repeating the songs, he keeps changing the lyrics and blabbering. I think this is it, it's gonna be his last tour and the next album will be a Greatest Hits with 5 songs from YOR, 4 from Ringleader, 4 from Quarry and Suedehead as a bonus track....Let's face it, it is OVER.

i just finished watching the webcast(somehow after i closed my computer fri nite, it saved it form the spot i was watching it from) and it seemed like the whole set was a struggle for moz. he was messing with his ear prob cause of the sound(did he have a earpiece in besides the stage monitors in?), the smell of "burning flesh", his facial reactions and his overall presence on that huge stage, with a 15 foot gap btwn crowd an him, and the lack of movement from the people right in front im sure was quite discouraging... he seemed like he hated it!

when he threw his shirt out and watched it land in that huge gap, he seemed disappointed but he did make sure security threw it into the crowd after he had to make a hand gesture to them first an then he walked off.

it was all really hard to watch.:(

Back
Top Bottom