Longtime lurker/new member

peptastic

My name is Lauren.

I might have registered in 2004 but it's possible I just posted without registering. At least the first time I saw him live in '04.
I've seen him twice Atlanta '04 and Orlando in '07. I've attempted two other times but the shows were cancelled. I got to see Johnny Marr play with modest mouse in '08. Not the same as the smiths but fantastic band all the same. The National stole that gig from rem and modest mouse though.

I've been coming to morrissey-solo.com since the late '90s. I'm not sure why I only registered now.
I've had laryingitis for a week and work is slow. I rarely register on forums except one Harry Potter forum years ago.

I feel bad for the site having Moz diss it. I ran a fansite on actor John Malkovich in my teen years/early twenties. I'd have been crushed if he'd done something like that.

I became a Morrissey fan around 14-15 years of age [I'm 31 now] after Beavis and Butthead mocked him. I enjoyed his campiness. When I rewatched it a few years ago I asked myself what about that video impressed me so much. It was his silliest video for sure.

I didn't get into the smiths until I was 17. I was side-tracked in highschool with the cure. Robert Smith's hair was like tentacles sucking me in demanding I spend money on this single and reissue that.
Smith cds are still $25 a piece where I live so I wasn't able to get all their stuff right away. I don't know if I'd even known Morrissey WAS in the smiths until I got on the internet at age 16...
Publix grocery stores do play "I'm throwing my arms around Paris" but that might the extent of his radio airplay. I haven't listened to the radio in years so I'm not a qualified commentator. I do know the radio didn't play him when I was finally able to choose music for myself to hear. I grew up with three siblings so the car radio wasn't in my control.
--

My favourite Morrissey song will probably always be "Seasick, yet still docked".
My favourite album is "Vauxhall & I".

My favourite Smiths song is hard.
"There is a light that never goes out" or 'What difference does it make?"
My favourite smiths album is Meat is Murder.

My tshirt collection sucks. My parrots chewed them up a couple of years ago.

Worst obsessive fandom moment- naming my horse Moz. My mom sold him years ago. I only had him a year I believe. She sold my sister's horse Justin Timberlake as well before anyone judges me. Moz was better than Timberlake. :)
Well... they vetoed Malkovich so I snuck Moz in.

I am a vegetarian but I've been one since I was a kid.

Last edited:
well, a long overfdue welcome to the site Lauren :)

:lbf: I'm sorry, that was just too funny when I read that :o
I imagined somebody walking into their house and catching their parrots "red handed" as they ate your T-shirts :eek:

I am a vegetarian but I've been one since I was a kid.
interesting you mention that, whenever I meet people who tell me they are vegetarians, I tell them I am not, but that I love Morrissey :blushing:

Hello and welcome! I love that music video too. It's weird, but I think it's cute. :guitar: What's your avatar of? :)

well, a long overfdue welcome to the site Lauren :)

:lbf: I'm sorry, that was just too funny when I read that :o
I imagined somebody walking into their house and catching their parrots "red handed" as they ate your T-shirts :eek:

Thanks!
That did happen sort of. I didn't shut my closet door.They usually chew whatever I'm wearing.
You can't wear jewelry or eye glasses around parrots especially cockatiels. They seemed intent on going for the Morrissey though. I used to have a cockatiel named Boudreaux whose favourite perch was on a framed 'meat is murder' poster. He'd sit right on top of it and poop.

I can just imagine the next news headline will be of Moz touring Australia and being pooped on by cockatiels after his recent dog bite.

interesting you mention that, whenever I meet people who tell me they are vegetarians, I tell them I am not, but that I love Morrissey :blushing:

KenzieW said:
Hello and welcome! I love that music video too. It's weird, but I think it's cute. What's your avatar of?

Thanks for the welcome!
It is a cute video for all its cheesiness.
My avatar is from the band and one's album "body pop 1 1/2".

my name is lauren.

I might have registered in 2004 but it's possible i just posted without registering. At least the first time i saw him live in '04.
I've seen him twice atlanta '04 and orlando in '07. I've attempted two other times but the shows were cancelled. I got to see johnny marr play with modest mouse in '08. Not the same as the smiths but fantastic band all the same. The national stole that gig from rem and modest mouse though.

I've been coming to morrissey-solo.com since the late '90s. I'm not sure why i only registered now.
I've had laryingitis for a week and work is slow. I rarely register on forums except one harry potter forum years ago.

I feel bad for the site having moz diss it. I ran a fansite on actor john malkovich in my teen years/early twenties. I'd have been crushed if he'd done something like that.

I became a morrissey fan around 14-15 years of age [i'm 31 now] after beavis and butthead mocked him. I enjoyed his campiness. When i rewatched it a few years ago i asked myself what about that video impressed me so much. It was his silliest video for sure.

I didn't get into the smiths until i was 17. I was side-tracked in highschool with the cure. Robert smith's hair was like tentacles sucking me in demanding i spend money on this single and reissue that.
Smith cds are still $25 a piece where i live so i wasn't able to get all their stuff right away. I don't know if i'd even known morrissey was in the smiths until i got on the internet at age 16...
Publix grocery stores do play "i'm throwing my arms around paris" but that might the extent of his radio airplay. I haven't listened to the radio in years so i'm not a qualified commentator. I do know the radio didn't play him when i was finally able to choose music for myself to hear. I grew up with three siblings so the car radio wasn't in my control.
--

my favourite morrissey song will probably always be "seasick, yet still docked".
My favourite album is "vauxhall & i".

My favourite smiths song is hard.
"there is a light that never goes out" or 'what difference does it make?"
my favourite smiths album is meat is murder.

Worst obsessive fandom moment- naming my horse moz. My mom sold him years ago. I only had him a year i believe. She sold my sister's horse justin timberlake as well before anyone judges me. Moz was better than timberlake. :)
well... They vetoed malkovich so i snuck moz in.

I am a vegetarian but i've been one since i was a kid.

run.....run now!!!! RUN!!! Get away from here as quickly as possible :(

run.....run now!!!! RUN!!! Get away from here as quickly as possible :(

Ohhh, don't be so sad. It's just a bit stirred up right now, that's all. Some people are unhappy with Moz and they feel hurt and confused, and other people are really unhappy with this website and they still adore him. These two groups are really worked up right now and they seem to be at war in General Discussion. I myself am ready to call a truce, but I am sure this will blow over in a week, and you can't say it's not fun here.;) Billy Scissors still makes me laugh, and I have had some great conversations here with some new people. Remember when we first became friends? That was fun. :D

The media is probably trying to stir things up what with the 'has he lost his mind' and searching bags for meat stories. I noticed they only quoted the posts that insulted Morrissey rather than the neutral fans.
[Perhaps this is why Morrissey is so sensitive to what posts are being written about him here. Not that trying to control it seems to be helping at all. Even if n.m.e were forced to post they made stuff up you can't promise the readership bought the next issue for the statement]

The angle on this forum seems to view these incidents as an attack on fans.
David Brett celebrity biographer [whom I'd never heard of before and don't think much of now] really didn't help matters by posting vicious stories about Morrissey hating ugly fans right before the tshirt scandal happened.
The other half seem quick to throw over fans under the bus to be viewed as super fans.
But still most of you seem lovely to me.
Even the upset fans are calm on other threads.

Yes fans on this site have been mean over the years. Go to any forum on the internet though and it's bound to happen. :(

I'll always love Morrissey's music. It will blow over one day except for perhaps Morrissey and David Tseng.

I think the pissed off fans will find their feet unable to stop moving to the beat ala the scene in the parrot film RIO. haha.
"I don't like this song tomorrow anymore *tap tap* .. wait my leg is moving against my will!"

I guess it puts things in perspective when you've seen other musicians do the same sort of thing. Well, Robert Smith of the cure apparently had a run in with 'chain of flowers' website over posting news before he had a chance to break the news of ousting Roger O'Donnell first.
I've gone to that site since '96 and it's a wonderful source for news. It wasn't viewed as an attack on fans though. Maybe that is a bad comparison.

Yeah it will hopefully calm down in a few weeks time. And by the way thanks for contributing to my "uplifting" thread off-topic. To me it also indicates that there are enough interesting people still around.

Last edited:
No problem. I love to find out about interesting gems from other people myself. I think that's the beauty of the internet.
Your from Germany?
I'm teaching myself German at the moment. I just started using a podcast.
I'd love a list of some good German films. I've seen most of Franka Potente's work due to a friend being a huge fan and I'm going through Daniel Bruehl's filmography now.

One good thing this proves is Moz is still relevant without a record deal.

Yeah, Berlin, the city of art according to Moz.

Okay here are some German movies/directors/actors I like:

Talking of Bruehl:

Good Bye Lenin! is a must see (very funny). Details here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0301357/4
Die fetten Jahre sind vorbei (The Edukators) is also a must see imho. Details: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0408777/

I think you're already familiar with his Hollywood movies.

One of my favourite German-speaking director right now is Michael Haneke http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Haneke

Munich born, but Austrian. I highly recommend some of his movies (partly French/American coproductions) especially Cache http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387898/ and Das weisse Band (The Whire Ribbon) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1149362/.

Plus everything by Rainer Werner Fassbinder http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainer_Werner_Fassbinder and more recently Fatih Akin http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatih_Akin.

There is plenty more of course. Just let me know what you are interested in and I'm glad to help.

Last edited:
I've seen Haneke's 'The Piano Teacher' & 'Time of the Wolf' during my Isabelle Huppert film period. I'm looking forward to getting Cache and White Ribbon. I'll get White Ribbon in a couple of days. :)

My twin has Fassbinder's 'Querelle'. She says Moz loves that movie.

Netlix has a lot of Fatih Akin movies on instant play so I can watch those online. He seems to work with Moritz Bleibtreu a lot. He'll be familiar to me from Lola Rennt and Das Experiment.
They don't have Herr Lehmann or Sonnenallee. They do look interesting. Amazon has Sonnenallee for 120 dollars. Maybe my local library will have it.

120 dollars for Sonnenallee:crazy:. Obviously much cheaper over here, but you probably need subtitles or dubbed versions.

I always thought Moz would like Fassbinder, but I never found quotes. Fassbinder was obviously partly influenced by Pasolini. I certainly think he is the most interesting director of Neuer Deutscher Film.

I really think Cache is superb. It is a French production though. Hope you enjoy it.

I will think of other movies you might like. Just keep me updated what you enjoyed.

Last edited:
I watched The White Ribbon last night. What a great film. I found it interesting the pastor father of the kids was on about how bad his children were until the teacher actually pointed out they WERE doing wrong. I guess there is no ribbon to wear for beating up a retarded boy. I read reviews that claimed the movie had no heart but I didn't see it that way.
Burghart Klaußner is turning up in all of the German films I've rented lately.

Yes, a very challenging and also timeless movie I think. Frightening, if you think about it. But that's what I like about his movies in general. As mentioned my favourites are The White Ribbon and Cache.

So how is your German improving? I always find it difficult to watch movies with subtitles in your own language.

I love challenging movies that don't explain everything away. I felt sorry for most of the children even if they were frightening with the exception of Klara. As a bird lover the scene where she stabs the bird was disturbing.

It's going along well [I hope]. I'm having fun at any rate unlike when I studied Spanish in college. My teacher was a linguist from Spain and loved to spend a whole hour on the root definitions.
I'm in the 'beginner' series of my podcast with introduction to grammar. I spent last month on a newbie series so hopefully by the end of this month I'll be on the intermediate portion.

I've never had a problem with subtitles for the most part with the exception of 'Wings of Desire'. I watched that many years ago and the white subtitles were impossible to read against white backgrounds. I did love the soundtrack even if most of the film escaped me. I'm a seasoned pro at reading subtitles I guess. I've watched a lot of French and Japanese films.

I don't need subtitles for Australian films but often if a film was made in Scotland I have to turn on subtitles. I had to turn subtitles for Brokeback Mountain since Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal spoke as if they had marbles in their mouths.
[I recall Moz said he'd go for Heath Ledger over Gyllenhaal.]

Okay, I just prefer to have subtitles in the language of the film (if you speak the language at a decent level of course, otherwise you need your own language anaway:)). In case you want more suggestions of movies send me a pm as I feel we are going a bit off-topic in this thread:) and exclude others.

Back
Top Bottom