looking for clash books

Hi all, I've been listening to alot of Clash lately and realized that I really don't know that much about them can anyone recommend a good book about the Clash? I would kind of like something with a discography and photos. Thanks.

Hi all, I've been listening to alot of Clash lately and realized that I really don't know that much about them can anyone recommend a good book about the Clash? I would kind of like something with a discography and photos. Thanks.

I love & recommend The Clash by Bob Gruen. Has a ton of great pics & interviews :guitar:

clash--singles--color.jpg

They sounded great but looked great also....the whole package!

You're at the beginning of a wonderful journey. i'd recommend the "Essential" 2 disc set. Or buy the DVD. (I actually own both because I'm an old-school Punk FANATIC!) as for books "The Clash: Return of the Last Gang in Town" is pretty good. Although the best work on Punk in general is Jon Savage's 'England's Dreaming." Follow that up with 'Please Kill Me", "We Got the Neutron Bomb", and "American Hardcore" and you'll be the resident punk expert.

I read one Clash book (from the library so cant recall the name) where it said in the early days they were looking for a drummer and advertised in the NME and it was claimed 'Steven Morrissey from Stretford' wrote to them and applied. They laughed at the thought of a Manc drumming for them and dismissed the apllication.

Jukebox Jury

You're at the beginning of a wonderful journey. i'd recommend the "Essential" 2 disc set. Or buy the DVD. (I actually own both because I'm an old-school Punk FANATIC!) as for books "The Clash: Return of the Last Gang in Town" is pretty good. Although the best work on Punk in general is Jon Savage's 'England's Dreaming." Follow that up with 'Please Kill Me", "We Got the Neutron Bomb", and "American Hardcore" and you'll be the resident punk expert.

I read one Clash book (from the library so cant recall the name) where it said in the early days they were looking for a drummer and advertised in the NME and it was claimed 'Steven Morrissey from Stretford' wrote to them and applied. They laughed at the thought of a Manc drumming for them and dismissed the apllication.

Jukebox Jury

Clash on Broadway (3 discs, 64 songs) is excellent. My bro gave it to me when it came out and it felt like Christmas to me :D

Thx, nogods...I want to get the "Last Gang in Town"
This is the book that mentioned Moz...I had to search -none other than solo ;) -and found:

Around 1975, Mick Jones and future Clash Manager Bernie Rhodes had a band called the London SS which ran several ads in the Melody Maker looking for musicans into the Stooges, Mott, the MC5 and the New York punk scene. The London SS eventually included or auditioned several of the key players of what became the London punk scene (including future members of the Damned and Generation X);

As Moz fans may guess, knowing his pre-Smiths history, and Gray reports:

"...A rabid Dolls and Mott fan and would-be singer called Steven Morrissey contacted Mick and started a brief correspondence, but as he was based in Manchester, it was not possible for him to contribute in a more practical way."

The London SS eventually evolved into the Clash, and recruited a singer named Joe Strummer, but it would’ve been different, wouldn’t it?

I had thought/heard the book said "Morrissey from Manchester" and back then, our Morrissey still went by Steven -so it could have been any Moz from Manc but the book excerpt here clearly sez it was indeed the Steven Morrissey :)

Back
Top Bottom