Lyrics to Smiler With Knife

Yes i have theory and its very simple you just need to read the lyrics,you dont have to build psychological theories just read the lyrics.Yeah Morrissey is gay and so what,one of my best friends is also gay and??Im just suprised that after this interview with Bilboard magazine where Morrissey says he is annoyed that now every song has to be about sex,sex people still try and look for hidden sexual meanings.For me this song is about death,and only about death.

There's no HIDDEN sexual meaning. What do you think where does the line "sex and love are not the same" come from, genius?

Im tired and i dont like to talk to stupid people.:):)Watch your mouth ugly boy coz you start to annoy me now and im tired.

Of course it is more stupid to try to find what is underneath the surface of the lyrics and actually interpret them, instead of just sticking to the surface and to think that something can not mean two things at the same time.

Anyway as i said im tired and i dont like to talk to stupid people,obviously Emil read too many wikipedia entries about dr.Freud and now tries to psychoanalyze simple lyrics about death.Your interpretation is just so cliched its pathetic.Laughable really.Wkurwiajacy zakuty leb.Tania psychoanaliza dla ubogich.Co za wiesniak.So i will not post in this thread anymore coz it only annoys me.pa.

Anyway as i said im tired and i dont like to talk to stupid people,obviously Emil read too many wikipedia entries about dr.Freud and now tries to psychoanalyze simple lyrics about death.Your interpretation is just so cliched its pathetic.Laughable really.I do tego jeszcze brzydki jak noc i wkurwiajacy zakuty leb.Tania psychoanaliza dla ubogich.Co za wiesniak.

I don't understand why you have to be such a c*** just because someone has a differing opinion. Isn't it enough to just say that you don't concur with my interpretation and offer what you think to be a more plausible one?

And you really sell Morrissey short if you think that the lyrics to Smiler with knife are simple. Do you simply like Morrissey because of his good looks and beautiful voice?

And I don't psychoanalyze the lyrics. I have not tried to explain Morrissey and his mind through the lyrics to the song. I have tried to understand what the lyrics mean. That is not psychoanalyzing. It's interpreting.

I don't understand why you have to be such a c*** just because someone has a differing opinion. Isn't it enough to just say that you don't concur with my interpretation and offer what you think to be a more plausible one?

And you really sell Morrissey short if you think that the lyrics to Smiler with knife are simple. Do you simply like Morrissey because of his good looks and beautiful voice?

And I don't psychoanalyze the lyrics. I have not tried to explain Morrissey and his mind through the lyrics to the song. I have tried to understand what the lyrics mean. That is not psychoanalyzing. It's interpreting.

She probably thinks 'Hand in Glove' is about a hand in a glove.

Hi Emil...

Have you ever wanted to be a psychiatric nurse?
No?
Then why bother? :)

Oh, I just got a telegram
"Just wish to disassociate myself completely from lunatic humourless abusive namesake
-stop-
best wishes
-stop-
yes even to you Brits
-stop-
Jeanne from over there."

I joined this forum because one of my favorite things to do is to see with what others come up when analyzing Morrissey's lyrics. What a diverse group of fans Moz has here! As a former literature scholar, I thoroughly enjoy seeing varying interpretations of his words (especially "Smiler," it was one of my faves on WPINOYB). I once sat through a class in which a gal mentioned she thought Frost's "Stopping by Woods..." was about Santa Claus. While I'm pretty sure that's not what Frost had in mind when he penned that classic verse, I could see how she came up with that interpretation and I admired her fresh, unique analysis. I don't think there's any problem with the phallic references when it comes to deciphering any of Morrissey's lyrics (especially since he's an openly "huma-sexual" male). Perhaps it's unintentional. Perhaps it may naturally come out when he writes without his awareness. Whatever it is, it's fascinating that everyone has a different way of looking at the lyrics...which is, I'm sure, Morrissey's intention when he's writing. If you think the knife is a penile reference or if it's a literal knife...either way, it's fun to see all these minds picking it all apart.

George Mackay Brown (poet) used the phrase "smiler with the knife" as a euphemism for drink in a 1965 letter to his girlfriend, who later drank herself to death. Punch me in the face if you like, but I'd put my money on that as the influence.

I'm not under the influence but drinking oneself to death- now, there's an idea. :)

Nice.
if you believe this article she used the image herself, but let's not split hairs like in another thread ;) Well done.
George was kinda cute, too...
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2006/apr/16/biography.features1

("...where she was elevated, one suspects, by her very absence." Now. How extremely unusual! :D )

...And besides being a cutiepai, Bobby Luis wrote amazing poetry. Sometimes he wrote complicate (or Scottish?), sometimes not so complicate. I had no idea. Must catch up with the donkey. Thanks! :)

I also find it sliiiiiightly interesting, though I'm most likely desperately reaching here, that Kristeen Young's new album is titled "The Knife Shift." Probably mere coincidence (since she may be alluding to other literary artists as well...though I know nothing of her really), but...I still found that thought intriguing.

Those artists, you know, they travel in tight, tight circles.

"Smiler with knife, you're just in time." Arriving on time for her "shift," Kristeen, eh?

OH, so many interpretations with so many different ways to play on words and too many external references/allusions...it's enough to make one's head pop off.

"Smiler with knife, you're just in time." Arriving on time for her "shift," Kristeen, eh?

OH, so many interpretations with so many different ways to play on words and too many external references/allusions...it's enough to make one's head pop off.

lol.
Yeah, unfortunately, to me Kristeen's lyrics are incomprehensible (it's the screaming), otherwise I'd be curious to study the influence these two drunka-... artists, exert on each other.

:D

lol.
Yeah, unfortunately, to me Kristeen's lyrics are incomprehensible (it's the screaming), otherwise I'd be curious to study the influence these two drunka-... artists, exert on each other.

I heard my first full Kristeen song this morning. The best part about it was Dave Grohl.

The song is about one's contemplation of suicide; that they are trapped and not able to be happy (lack of sex is one example). The Smiler is the demon that wants to bring down the person but the person (Self ---conscious individual-the you) is able to accept/understand their demons (the smiler) and go on with life.

Last edited:
I'm not sure it's up there with the best thing Morrissey has written but i am a fan of the song. Love the lyrics admittedly and their delivery but also kudos to Jesse on an interesting backing track.

interesting interpretations though i can't see a clear homosexual connotation. Sigmund Freud probably could have.

i think the song mixes up different layers of consciousness. i see someone lying in hospital waiting for an operation under general aesthetic. Smiler with knife being the surgeon, always reassuringly smiling though one is maybe just a breath away from death. Could be an operation in the lower abdomen related to the sexual organs. Will the patient be able to make love again afterwards? Slamming one shots is the anesthetics injection. Will s/he wake up ever again? What if s/he dies during the operation?

Just my 2 cents, and of course many lines still untouched and not really fitting into my point of view.

regards from the sickbed.

I think the surgeon interpretation is an excellent call. Going under the knife for excision of...something, as we know he has. The treatment procedure in song form.

P.

lol.

i think her lyrics are the most interesting bits to her songs honestly

Thanks. maybe this is a bit far-fetched but i wonder whether the lyrics can also be understood as a dialogue. Direct speech of the presumed surgeon in red, of the patient in green.

See in me the side of you
That sometimes makes you jump with fright

Smiler with knife: "it's your big night"

Sinking bed, all warm and clean
Only sadness waits for me

Smiler with knife you're just in time
You're just in time

Press the blade against my skin
Never to make love again

Smiler with knife it's alright

Surrendered will I am before you
I am sick to death of life

Smiler with knife, alight, (a light?)
Alight

If such things weren't meant to be
Then they would never come to me

Smiler, oh, don't worry so

Slam-in one-shot gentle pain
Someone calling out my name

Sex and love are not the same
Are not the same

Time has frittered long and slow
All I am and was will go
But where to?
And why now?

When my last breath falls away

Smiler trust me when I say
You'll be OK
You'll be OK

Just a feverish guess, and not consistently logical.

Well - I like that very much. Now, if you take that dialogue, examine the lyrics, those to I'm Not A Man, and the baggy sports pants, I would suggest an excision of some part of the male reproductive system - testicles, prostate. That's only one interpretation, I know. And a jigsawed one at that.

*EDIT* - and the highly emotionally-charged performance of this song suggests a real personal meaning. Has he lost something important to him?

P.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom