Manchester - Manchester Arena (July 28, 2012) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Set List:

You Have Killed Me / Everyday Is Like Sunday / You're The One For Me, Fatty / How Soon Is Now? / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Ouija Board, Ouija Board / Maladjusted / Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me / When Last I Spoke To Carol / People Are The Same Everywhere / I Know It's Over / To Give (The Reason I Live) / Black Cloud / Scandinavia / Meat Is Murder / Let Me Kiss You / Action Is My Middle Name / I Will See You In Far Off Places / Speedway / Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want // Still Ill

set list provided by SimonM, Because. Order corrected by telegram-sam.

Last edited:
idn't think last night was as bad as some people are making out but I didn't have massive expectations before the gig considering it was at the M.E.N. First time I've ever been in seating there and thought the sound was good from where I was positioned although I longed to be at the front (my friends were at the front and said it was quite tame compared to Moz gigs we've been to in the past). Thought his voice sounded strong but can see certain criticisms aimed at the band last night. Putting myself in other peoples shoes, I can see how they might have been disappointed with the set-list and in-particular the middle part but he played many songs that I love. Could tell there were a lot of people just wanting to hear Smiths songs last night, I'd rather he didn't play any, so many Morrissey solo classics could fill those spots on the set-list.

As for his comments throughout the gig, what else do you expect? Pretty much bang on classic Moz Hulme/Olympics/Israel/The Royals. Can't believe people complained about the video he plays along with Meat is Murder, have you read the bloody lyrics!

Feels like his career is coming to a head again, will attend future concerts no matter what or support his decision to call it a day if he so chooses.

P.S would give my right arm for him to play Halifax again! Best Morrissey gig I've been to.

Well, the usual tedious Moz-hating shite on here as usual.

No wonder he hates this place.

Fantastic.

The set list was pretty strategic, it was so rich with emotional classics that it was easier to give songs like Scandinavia a chance in the middle. 'I know it's over' was probably the best thing I've ever seen, and it's a great sign that the crowd were singing along to people are the same everywhere etc.

Plus he was looking very healthy and in good shape! I'll always cherish that moment leading up to Please, Please, Please...

It's like with Godwin's Law - all forums can predictably descend into nutjobs ranting about the ME...laughably in this case it involves crude, idiotic racial slurs, and claiming that people can't hold opinions on things if they weren't there themselves...

To actually bring the ranters back to the actual topic of the forum, Morrissey mentioned his trip to Tel Aviv (which is culturally a relatively tolerant and diverse part of Israel), and a few people booed - not really surprising, as that reflects public opinion, which is fair enough . Mozza held up an Israeli flag - I guess a few fans who have ever seen him, ever, at any point are perfectly aware that he likes to provoke, and to be patriotic about wherever he is, which is how he's cultivated a cult following in so many countries.

Frankly, I couldn't care less. It's not really relevant to the thread.

For someone who doesn't care, you ranted quite a bit.
The relevant issue was actually that Tel-Aviv municipality honored him while Manchester hasn't.
He hasn't cultivated a cult following, at least in Israel, because he waived their flag, because he only performed there two times.
The ME issue became relevant because Israel is in the ME and some people think Morrissey shouldn't have gone there and shouldn't waive their flag and instead should have boycotted them.
The use of the word apartheid to describe the situation there, only goes to show how poorly educated people are on the subject. Therefore, they can certainly hold an opinion, without having been there, but obviously this is an uneducated opinion. It is as if I would use all the known stereotypes to describe the English people, without even having met an English person in my life. Morrissey evidently had a good time in Israel and good for him.

Well, the usual tedious Moz-hating shite on here as usual.

No wonder he hates this place.

Many people have put their usernames to the criticism, me included. I am not a moz hater as you put it. Having been to 15 plus shows over the years, I think that gives me the right to criticise when the night is not as good as I have seen previously.

Too many people blindly follow and can never see any wrong in anything he does.

Starting the concert half an hour earlier than any of his other concerts since 1991 as someone pointed out is just showing complete disrespect to people who have paid £50 for tickets. Luckily I got in just as the concert started but a bloke who stood next to me missed the first 4 songs. He was in at 8.50 pm so plenty of time for the normal 9.05 start time.

The middle part to the set was lacklustre with too many average songs. Speedway was butchered, let me kiss you after Meat is Murder doesn't work, action is my middle name is just a poor song.

Morrissey can deliver much better than this.

For someone who doesn't care, you ranted quite a bit.
The relevant issue was actually that Tel-Aviv municipality honored him while Manchester hasn't.
He hasn't cultivated a cult following, at least in Israel, because he waived their flag, because he only performed there two times.
The ME issue became relevant because Israel is in the ME and some people think Morrissey shouldn't have gone there and shouldn't waive their flag and instead should have boycotted them.
The use of the word apartheid to describe the situation there, only goes to show how poorly educated people are on the subject. Therefore, they can certainly hold an opinion, without having been there, but obviously this is an uneducated opinion. It is as if I would use all the known stereotypes to describe the English people, without even having met an English person in my life. Morrissey evidently had a good time in Israel and good for him.

Etc. etc...while I don't wish to get bogged with lazy, pointless trolling, my "ranting" has I think involved a total of two posts saying that 'people have views either way, which is fair enough' - Morrissey knows this and is always keen to provoke. Also it's unsurprising that anonymous new people pop up on random forums to call other posters anti-Israel, or anti-Palestinian whenever the ME is raised - calling them idiots and suchlike.

I'm sure you're just minutes away from that holy grail of making bringing people round to fully agreeing with your specific positions on ME politics, but this is a MORRISSEY FORUM, and while anonymous political terriers can be fun, they can also be tiresome bores. I'm sorry if you find the suggestion that people have their own views offensive, but there you go...

Some of the crap spouted on here is unreal. Here's my honest response to last night. http://passionsjustlikemine.wordpress.com/2012/07/29/morrissey-manchester-arena-28th-july-2012/

Thanks for the article. I agree. I thought he was in fine voice last night. I think some forget that with a live performance, a great deal of the experience is being in that audience. The hijinks, the things that go wrong, the things that go right and all the bits from when you enter those doors to the moment you exit into the fresh air all contribute to a memorable event.

The entire ritual of seeing him live should be savoured and not be submerged in the wash of petty gripes. Even a bad night is a good night. How else would people prefer to spend their time? A night at home playing scrabble?

Etc. etc...while I don't wish to get bogged with lazy, pointless trolling, my "ranting" has I think involved a total of two posts saying that 'people have views either way, which is fair enough' - Morrissey knows this and is always keen to provoke. Also it's unsurprising that anonymous new people pop up on random forums to call other posters anti-Israel, or anti-Palestinian whenever the ME is raised - calling them idiots and suchlike.

I'm sure you're just minutes away from that holy grail of making bringing people round to fully agreeing with your specific positions on ME politics, but this is a MORRISSEY FORUM, and while anonymous political terriers can be fun, they can also be tiresome bores. I'm sorry if you find the suggestion that people have their own views offensive, but there you go...

You seem as intolerant, as the people you describe, calling people "nutjobs" and telling people what they can and can't post.
The discussion was relevant to Morrissey, as he made reference to it in last night's show. You have made your opinion known, let others have their say. Stop dismissing valid points of discussion as pointless trolling. This is a discussion forum.

My first outing at a Moz gig after being a fan since my early teens (now 19). Loved the set even though it wasn't packed with what could have been great crowd pleasers. Was annoyed I missed the start after being caught out by the surprisingly early stage time. I was mid-wee when I heard a massive cheer and then the opening to one of my favourites, 'You Have Killed Me' - gutted! Thought the Meat is Murder performance was brill even though it left my stomach feeling pretty weird. Not so much the graphic pictures (I am a veggie), but rather Boz creeping us all out and then the few minutes of white noise at the end. Favourites were Paris, How soon?, Please Please and of course Still Ill at the end. Was a bit disappointed with Speedway as it was one song I was praying for but turned out to be a tad flat. Overall, though, a brilliant first Moz experience that's left me wishing I had an Edinburgh ticket. Managed to bag myself Jesse Tobias's plectrum and one of the "Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me" pillowcases. Thank you Moz!

So glad I stuck to my guns and did'nt buy tickets this was so predictable i.e. Songs/t-shirts/remarks/drag etc
Very sad really and off they go North taking the circus to Edinburgh the only difference maybe the band will wear tarten skirts.
I feel sorry for Edinburgh actually knowing they're about to be shafted

Feel sorry for you you bitter fecker! Didn't go so trying to justify your tightness by accepting the bad reviews whilst ignoring the good ones. Enjoy your sad existence!

Loved the gig. Could people please stop farting in the standing area tho.

You only joined as a user today! - "anonymous new people pop up call other posters [names]" - by that you mean you?

My fourth Morrissey gig and by far the best. Morrissey was in great voice, very chatty, handing over the mic to the audience for a while - you could tell he was enjoying himself. After my initial concerns about the venue being too big/less intimate/rubbish atmosphere compared with somewhere smaller, I was surprised to find this was not the case at all. Up the front, the crowd was pretty wild (many thanks to the man who kept me alive during the first few songs), calming down during the lesser known songs in the middle, and there was a fantastic atmosphere throughout.

Couple of criticisms regarding audience treatment of KY, and the organisation of queues of the part of the Arena (I'd queued for a few hours and ended up behind people who'd turned up 30 mins before doors opened), but all in all worth every penny and certainly an evening I won't forget any time soon.

Always been confused when Morrissey says he hates this fan forum, reading some of the comments on here...i am confused no longer.

Does anybody know what the poem/lyric morrissey read out before Please, Please, Please was last night? Really beautiful version of Please, Please, Please too. the piano sounded beautiful. Would have liked a few less obscure/new songs, but hey he has such a collection that he can't please everyone can he? Great night.

such a disappointing night. i was hoping for two encores (one of them First Of The Gang To Die) and it was Still Ill. It's a good song but not an encore. The first couple of songs were great but the middle 15 songs destroyed it I'm afraid 5/7 of the set. Truly and utterly gutted. Expecting so much and yet recieving very little. Change the script Mozz.

Very good gig, full of life. Had a great night, was so knackered after that I didn't make it to the after party.

I did think there more idiots near the front than I have ever seen before (I was about 5 rows back), just shouting unfunny things and generally being obnoxious and annoying. The treatment of KY was unacceptable as well.

Back
Top Bottom