Marr plays Smiths - NME (November 4, 2021)

I would disagree that he's "not a bad singer" and "competent". Regardless of his name value and status, it's hard for me to say that this is anything but objectively awful. As a singer with a fair bit of experience, it's painful to listen to. He sounds like a pre-teen that is still learning how to control his voice and is insecure about it. Someone whose parents told him he had a wonderful voice and he desperately wants to believe it....but knows deep down that there's only a marginal amount of talent there. As a Smiths / Morrissey fan, I'm insulted that he would even try. Just perform an instrumental and don't soil it so. He has gotten better (just slightly) over the last few years but the ability just isn't there.

Another crime here (directed at Moz and company) is that his backing band perform it (as did whoever backed Rick Astley recently) perhaps better than Morrissey's current solo band.

I think he does alright for a guy who’s probably never considered himself a singer. As for the guitar work…nobody does it better. Oh, and by the way, I like Morrissey, too.

I agree and no doubt some of his 900k followers across Facebook/Twitter and Instagram will love this and will be looking forward to the whole show. I wonder if this is the same place as the Smiths used to rehearse?

I agree and no doubt some of his 900k followers across Facebook/Twitter and Instagram will love this and will be looking forward to the whole show. I wonder if this is the same place as the Smiths used to rehearse?
I think it might be? Marr rehearses there now, maybe he even records there.

Marr's singing is actually very good, he's not Morrisssey, of course not, but if he wasn't Marr and people were not comparing them no one would say he's a bad singer, he's very competent and his guitar playing is, needless to say, absolutely sublime.
I don't think he's a good singer per se, but he's way better than that dreadful Bernard Butler solo effort from the 90's. However I really like Marr's EP1 and have preordered the 4EP album for February. Will cancel if EP2 to 4 are crap. Marr should do instrumental albums like John Carpenter or albums with perhaps minimal singing like Kraftwerk did.

I was so thrown off by the ... 'shirt' in the preview still that I didn't dare click 'play'.

Any chance of Ewok guest appearances in the video?

View attachment 77497

Sadly, í doubt it.

Be strong...

ewoks-eat-people-1137619.jpg

I actually like Marr's vocals on this. Yes, he's not Morrissey, but at least he doesn't try to sound like him here; he sings more softly and articulates the words in a different way.

At least Johnny doesn't seethe with visible contempt any time he has to lower himself to playing Smiths songs for fan service. Unlike some folks...

This is a good point. Whenever Morrissey does the Smiths he seems to undermine the song. Not only is the instrumentation subpar, the vocals are missing passages or changed to something stupid like Trumpshifters of the world. And his HSIN featured what seemed like high pitched barking or something equally unpleasant. At least Johnny honors the song and his voice is strong and effective.

I think he does alright for a guy who’s probably never considered himself a singer. As for the guitar work…nobody does it better. Oh, and by the way, I like Morrissey, too.

I don’t know, there have been a lot of great guitarists.

I think Marr may still be able to deliver if inspired by a frontman with a vision, that only really happened once after The Smiths and that was with his playing with The The, Matt Johnson brought something out of Johnny that was never heard before. And I actually saw Marr on the Mind Bomb tour in 1990 which was nothing less than amazing. With some exceptions here and there, I don’t really hear him bringing anything new to the table since. Which is fine, he seems to be doing what he wants to do.

Of course some will say the same for Morrissey after Maladusted or Quarry probably. But Morrissey will always inspire, he has such a unique voice and view point that many will always love and some always hate.
Which is more than you can say for other musical acts that are trying and failing to pass themselves off as artists. Rush to danger? They would if they could.

Last edited:
:lbf:

how can there be a trailer for a LIVESTREAM event :lbf:

":handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: will show us his workspace :)
the CRAZY FACE FACTORY -oidoh:- you heard right the
laundry room has been christened THE CRAZY FACE FACTORY-
where he creates his sucky songs, works on dumb ideas and where the Ms does the laundry" :lbf:

if hes not too busy caterwauling up a storm, maybe he can flash a copy of that non existing Spirit Soul Power vinyl 45 :hammer:

Sure, but I was referring to the style that JM is known for. Nobody plays Smiths guitar better. That said, he’s definitely on my overall guitarists top 3.

I think Marr may still be able to deliver if inspired by a frontman with a vision, that only really happened once after The Smiths and that was with his playing with The The, Matt Johnson brought something out of Johnny that was never heard before. And I actually saw Marr on the Mind Bomb tour in 1990 which was nothing less than amazing. With some exceptions here and there, I don’t really hear him bringing anything new to the table since. Which is fine, he seems to be doing what he wants to do.

Of course some will say the same for Morrissey after Maladusted or Quarry probably. But Morrissey will always inspire, he has such a unique voice and view point that many will always love and some always hate.
Which is more than you can say for other musical acts that are trying and failing to pass themselves off as artists. Rush to danger? They would if they could.

I'd have loved to attend a THE THE concert. I recently bought the 3LP Comeback Tour vinyl and it's excellent. Hopefully there might be a new THE THE album coming at some point. Marr was a great fit with Matt Johnson. By coincidence I'm listening to the amazing Soul Mining LP as I type this.

think marr must have found die glocke on his travels,yer youth is gone no matter how many streaks you get.

Tags
johnny marr

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom