Matt Walker on Too Much Effing Perspective Podcast - Morrissey mentions (August 24, 2021)

240463901_104847448590320_9145538050643009261_n.jpg

Or listen here:

Description:

"Ex-Morrissey bandmate Matt Walker on why some drummers spontaneously combust…and some don’t

Matt Walker shares the inside scoop on what it’s like to work with two of the most brilliant and challenging guys in rock music (Morrissey and Smashing Pumpkins’ Billy Corgan); how he was forced to lie to a Russian border guard when touring with Garbage; and why destroying a drum kit each night is better than taking Xanax.
Please note: Matt’s audio quality during the conversation is a bit rough — a hazard of recording over the Internet during the pandemic. But it’s a great conversation that’s worth a close listen. Thanks for understanding."

Plenty of Morrissey content throughout, main part starts at ~ 14:23

Excerpt:
"They both [Morrissey and Billy Corgan] are challenging in different ways, but I wouldn't want it any other way. I think that's what makes them both so exceptional and they're both, without a doubt, fearless. They're just fearless about persuing their vision and their art in the face of criticism and the public eye and being that close to both of them, I can tell you that is a big deal. That takes guts.
And they've both been doing it their entire career, without fail. What's interesting is that they're both still making interesting, relevant music. They're not just playing their hits and going out and doing album tours and I have a lot of respect for that."

Matt talks about what working with Morrissey in the studio is like, destroying drum sets and Icelandic gongs, the chaos of stage invasions, leaving and rejoining the Morrissey band in 2012/13 etc.

(Interestingly, at no point in the interview does he mention not being part of Morrissey's band anymore (unless I missed it...?), although the description of the podcast refers to him as 'ex-Morrissey bandmate'. His Instagram bio also still says "Drummer for Morrissey".)

"Please note: Matt’s audio quality during the conversation is a bit rough — a hazard of recording over the Internet during the pandemic."

*cough*pussies*cough*

I like how the internet gets capitalized though.

Last edited:
I’ll give you “The Kid’s A Looker” and or “Mexico” ?!
Wait...confused and not too smart...does that mean you enjoy '...A Looker'??? I've always enjoyed that song as well as 'People Are The Same Everywhere'...but I'm afraid there's not too many who will jump on my bandwagon. Be kind and friendly, all.

Wait...confused and not too smart...does that mean you enjoy '...A Looker'??? I've always enjoyed that song as well as 'People Are The Same Everywhere'...but I'm afraid there's not too many who will jump on my bandwagon. Be kind and friendly, all.
Same here, but I absolutely don´t like Mexico.
The song.

It is quite surprising, that no reference is made to Matt's departure in this rather recent interview. It is well known that Morrissey does not usually dismiss or hire his own band members and that this work is taken away from him. Actually the dirty job is always done by Boz (see Bridgwood and Taylor for Day and Cobrin for the Vauxhall sesions- after their success as a band in 1992!!!) but now? Maybe he's just temporarily out and everyone involved is more relaxed about it (than Day was back then). But I love the nerdy idea of Morrissey sticking notes on windscreen wipers saying "Andy, you've just left The Smiths" (Should be read in a very soft voice).

Buckley is a very busy, jobbing musician with what appears to be loads of existing commitments.
It is extremely unlikely that he'd join the band full time.
He may not last longer than Vegas even.
So more change may well be on the horizon.
Regards,
FWD.

As I said. Musicians are usually professionals, and if an engagement is sometimes shorter or requires special features due to a pandemic, that's probably normal. Not everyone is on the verge of suicide if they are no longer allowed to play for Morrissey. Even if Morrissey is very happy to serve this gang outsiderism of his troupe.

"When it comes to the music, he (Moz) is very
open minded".
Heard Boz say the same thing a ways back.
That why these guys love workin' with Moz,
cause they got the freedom to be artists in
their own right.

Buckley is a very busy, jobbing musician with what appears to be loads of existing commitments.
It is extremely unlikely that he'd join the band full time.
He may not last longer than Vegas even.
So more change may well be on the horizon.
Regards,
FWD.
Matt’s Instagram Bio still states Drummer for Morrissey with other artists listed as “former”. I am pretty sure Matt would have amended this if he wasn’t still part of the Morrissey plan.

Maybe this is just a temporary thing.

"My life is a never ending succession of people saying goodbye." Hope ya got yer last pay-packet laddie. He can get so cheap and tight he squeaks. "Where's me bloody P.A. system Morrissey ? You owe me something, repay me now" G.S.

Kinda lame and verging on irresponsible of them to refer to Matt Walker as an Ex band mate if it's not been confirmed.

And this whole witch burning type mentality to point out who the "difficult ones" are while we all acknowledge that these "difficult ones" are the ones that make life worth living. Just f***ing bizarre. And this is their lead Morrissey question? What gossipy nugget of bullshit were they hoping for?

Matt's answer was great by the way.

Last edited:
So does Matt have any social media. Can we just ask him if he’s gonna be in the band post Vegas. Could someone just ask Alain as he seems to reply. If Alain did return to the band I’d like to see him become the fan contact or pr person. I don’t have any social media awareness or accounts so I can’t myself. Just wondering

Kinda lame and verging on irresponsible of them to refer to Matt Walker as an Ex band mate if it's not been confirmed.

And this whole witch burning type mentality to point out who the "difficult ones" are while we all acknowledge that these "difficult ones" are the ones that make life worth living. Just f***ing bizarre. And this is their lead Morrissey question? What gossipy nugget of bullshit were they hoping for?
Thanks God that some musicians are ´difficulté’. So many people seem to expect that the most creative people should also be easy-going, but these qualities usually don’t work well as a tandem.
Matt's answer was great by the way.
I loved that he used the word ´fearless’ to describe both Moz and Billy’s attitudes to life and the arts, adding that this requires a lot of guts.

No reference to Chicago 🤔

"and his band"
FWD.

View attachment 75688

Or listen here:

Description:

"Ex-Morrissey bandmate Matt Walker on why some drummers spontaneously combust…and some don’t

Matt Walker shares the inside scoop on what it’s like to work with two of the most brilliant and challenging guys in rock music (Morrissey and Smashing Pumpkins’ Billy Corgan); how he was forced to lie to a Russian border guard when touring with Garbage; and why destroying a drum kit each night is better than taking Xanax.
Please note: Matt’s audio quality during the conversation is a bit rough — a hazard of recording over the Internet during the pandemic. But it’s a great conversation that’s worth a close listen. Thanks for understanding."

Plenty of Morrissey content throughout, main part starts at ~ 14:23

Excerpt:
"They both [Morrissey and Billy Corgan] are challenging in different ways, but I wouldn't want it any other way. I think that's what makes them both so exceptional and they're both, without a doubt, fearless. They're just fearless about persuing their vision and their art in the face of criticism and the public eye and being that close to both of them, I can tell you that is a big deal. That takes guts.
And they've both been doing it their entire career, without fail. What's interesting is that they're both still making interesting, relevant music. They're not just playing their hits and going out and doing album tours and I have a lot of respect for that."

Matt talks about what working with Morrissey in the studio is like, destroying drum sets and Icelandic gongs, the chaos of stage invasions, leaving and rejoining the Morrissey band in 2012/13 etc.

(Interestingly, at no point in the interview does he mention not being part of Morrissey's band anymore (unless I missed it...?), although the description of the podcast refers to him as 'ex-Morrissey bandmate'. His Instagram bio also still says "Drummer for Morrissey".)

Honestly now, did Morrissey have a drink too many and make the move on ya ? Call Spencer .....WHIWOFBS Video really looked like the 2 were getting on quite well.... then the Tomorrow video and that smooth shove off. Be thankful...you both escaped.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom