McCartney blames the Chinese for their 'medieval' wet markets

Unhygienic & medieval isn't savvy.

It was typed up as filler, but if someone thought a Paul McCartney racial insensitivity row was worth it in 2020, they could go for it.
The statements are very different and came at very different times. Sorry you can't grasp this with your PR intelligence but Morrissey is a troll. He is attracted to PETA because they are trolls. Well meaning trolls, but still trolls.

Unhygienic & medieval isn't savvy.

It was typed up as filler, but if someone thought a Paul McCartney racial insensitivity row was worth it in 2020, they could go for it.
It's not complimentary, but it's factual. Unlike 'subspecies', which is provocative because it implies race.

Meh. It's a minor race row/joke. Will be forgotten the next time they find a newish picture of The Quarrymen or whatever. That's the clout selling a gazillion records gets you.

Some of us are on Twitter complaining Moz got worse for similar things. We try.

20200415_154909.jpg

20200415_154844.jpg

20200415_154826.jpg

It's not complimentary, but it's factual. Unlike 'subspecies', which is provocative because it implies race.

It's not factual - medieval & unhygienic are value judgements about wet markets, in China, in general & it does reflect on the people you're judging.

I've posted a couple of Twitter examples of people taking offence. Or pretending to.

Also the full quote from Moz doesn't amount to much at all. They would have backed down if he chucked them something else.

It's not factual - medieval & unhygienic are value judgements about wet markets, in China, in general & it does reflect on the people you're judging.

I've posted a couple of Twitter examples of people taking offence. Or pretending to.

Also the full quote from Moz doesn't amount to much at all. They would have backed down if he chucked them something else.
Actually, it is. The wet markets are known to be lacking in the most basic hygiene standards and sell disease-carrying wild animals for food and traditional medicine. They are also known to have some barbaric practices such as skinning animals alive. 'Medieval' being used here as an adjective to mean behaviour that is wildly outmoded or from times past.

For what it's worth, I think the people having a meltdown on Twitter are beyond pathetic. Special contempt reserved for the person sneering 'Wet markets are not by definition dirty.' But they are. That's the point. 'Eating bats is not by definition dirty.' But it is - they carry many diseases, including COVID-19. This has been scientifically proven.

I don't actually have a strong view on whether Morrissey's comment was racist or not. I just think he knew what he was doing by lobbing the word 'subspecies' in there, and that's my point.

You're a very self opinionated individual, that's for sure.

Actually, it is. The wet markets are known to be lacking in the most basic hygiene standards and sell disease-carrying wild animals for food and traditional medicine. They are also known to have some barbaric practices such as skinning animals alive. 'Medieval' being used here as an adjective to mean behaviour that is wildly outmoded or from times past.

For what it's worth, I think the people having a meltdown on Twitter are beyond pathetic. Special contempt reserved for the person sneering 'Wet markets are not by definition dirty.' But they are. That's the point. 'Eating bats is not by definition dirty.' But it is - they carry many diseases, including COVID-19. This has been scientifically proven.

I don't actually have a strong view on whether Morrissey's comment was racist or not. I just think he knew what he was doing by lobbing the word 'subspecies' in there, and that's my point.

It all depends on interpretation really.

I think he likes a vibrant turn of phrase but I'm not sure he thinks too deeply about all of the implications.

Unhygienic is a value judgment? And "subspecies" doesn't amount to much? I never agree with Peppermint but she's actually right and the further out on this limb you go the more ridiculous your arguments seem.

He's criticising their actions, not labelling them a sub-species. Big difference.
I don't see that way... Calling somebody Medieval is very similar to call someone subspecies... As If you compare Medieval population with nowadays population, I can't help but think they were subspecies at the time... However, some evolve and some not.. their culture, but a culture that, as we can see, can endanger the whole population...
Its a fairy tale life if you think you can and you should anybody do wahtever they want to... From the Prime Minister, to the Presidents, to the Queens and Kings or the regular citizens of the world... how can you think, for example, that if an entire country want to migrate to another country you should allow without discussion and Strong rules? This is the path to chaos...

I don't like the use of 'medieval' in this context.

It reflects an outdated eurocentristic view of history, and thus is misplaced. Why should the chinese know what medieval means? Who is mccartney talking to? Only to the western world? The medieval times also had their good sides, e.g. the abattoir did not yet exist.

'Medieval' is just another metaphor used to avoid precise description, like saying 'the 80s were hell'. We know how someone feels about the 80s, negative, thanks for lettin us know, but it does not contribute to our better understanding of the situation, let alone to making the chinese change their behaviour.

If he thinks he has to use rhetorical devices to get his point across, he should use metonomy instead. He'd need more time and space for it though, something our current western lifestyle and media dont really offer in abundance.

China could only wish that their subspecies label were the least of their troubles after this virus is over, there will be hell to pay for their cover ups and lack of early action.

Last edited:
Unhygienic is a value judgment? And "subspecies" doesn't amount to much? I never agree with Peppermint but she's actually right and the further out on this limb you go the more ridiculous your arguments seem.

It's a value judgement when it's made about wet markets in general rather than about a specific market. Are they all always dirty?

And the full quote doesn't amount to much because of the pronoun & because it's specific to watching news footage of animal slaughter.

It's a value judgement when it's made about wet markets in general rather than about a specific market. Are they all always dirty?

And the full quote doesn't amount to much because of the pronoun & because it's specific to watching news footage of animal slaughter.
Yes, wet markets are by their nature, dirty. And when you need to clarify that "I was only calling a billion people a subspecies because of something I saw on television" it doesn't modify the statement much.
But you're the PR expert and will post about this until everyone gives in I guess.

Yes, wet markets are by their nature, dirty. And when you need to clarify that "I was only calling a billion people a subspecies because of something I saw on television" it doesn't modify the statement much.
But you're the PR expert and will post about this until everyone gives in I guess.

FC chill FFS! Moz was right not only did tbis particular chinese subspecies create the chinese virus-i refer you to nonsensical fake figures from you
other post:crazy:
but also indulge in the eating of all manner of pets including parakeets?
and bats?
only skinny and you support the china subspecies WTF FC?☃

Karl Pilkington did a decent documentary on this shower.
They’re a disgusting lo
Don’t get me wrong, there’s good people in China but, there’s some education needed here, but they’re not the only ones. Nepal, Pakistan, Vietnam, Philippines etc
We could go on.
Maybe we all need educating somewhere.

:thumb:

Yes, animal activists are known to say ‘outrageous’ things in order to give a voice to the voiceless. Since it’s not something that’s brought up much in our educational systems, media, etc.

I’m sure most people did not know about the treatment of animals in China before his statement. So it worked.

Just like most people didn’t think much about animal slaughter before they heard Meat is murder, a song that has turned many into vegetarians.

Back
Top Bottom