Miley Cyrus and her band do The Smiths

My take, for anyone who cares, which is probably no one haha:

I don’t have a problem at all with her doing the song. It’s kinda cool. And who knows, maybe it will expose one or two or a handful of her fans to some cool stuff and they can realize there’s a whole world of awesome stuff out there that flies under the radar. However, her version of the song isn’t good. Or maybe this was an off night.

I definitely have a bootleg Smiths shirt with her picture on it that says “There Is A Light That Never Goes Out” which was made after she did the song in Manchester. So what do I know? :)

The problem isn't the gesture of Smiley covering this song. No! That is a fantastic choice and good on her for going with a more sophisticated song then one would expect from her.

Also just about every other band/artist has covered (poorly I'll admit!) this amazing anthem of loneliness and double-suicide (which when performed live it actually elevates its impact and transforms into a kind of mass self-loathing ritual of togetherness!), one way or another, so it was inevitable that sooner or later Smiley cyrus would get her chance too! But the problem is her way of acting in a concert environment, which as Chickpea pointed out, looks exactly like someone singing along with the song on the radio or -more likely- their iPod, while cleaning their bathroom!

She acts very non-engaged. She basically acts the same way that any bored teenager of our time would act in their own bedroom, going about their boring mundane business as usual, in a completely detached way, in a way that it's like they constantly need to be entertained, and all those stupid traits and body language that you know, etc...

What Smiley probably needs to sooner or later understand is, that is not the way to act in front of an arena of her audiences trying to engage in some mode of feeling with her and her words and her deliverance of those words.(Shocking to use these words talking about her I know, but bare with me!) It's like Smiley has been trying to construct a whole virtual reality for herself, where standing on the stage in front of an audience has no weight and value to her whatsoever, and she not only has to be boring and mundane in her own private life, but she has actually found it somehow acceptable to bring those mundane traits into her live persona as well. And she doesn't even bother to pretend to respect her audience!

And that goes to show why our generation hasn't been able to produce stars as enigmatic as Moz himself and other old stars of the past. The low attitude and mindset towards every single thing that should be treated in a more passionate way...

Last edited:
I made it through about 24 seconds. Awful. The band is doing a fine enough job, I suppose, but her voice (speaking and singing) is like nails on a chalkboard. And she stepped all over the signature opening of the song with her useless babble.

And if a ten ton truck were to squelch her, the pleasure, the privilege would be ours...

I don't know how anyone could bring themselves to watch this let alone make a thread for it. It's like "Hey guys look I have absolutely no taste whatsoever"

I'm sorry but I don't care what Miley Cyrus does or doesn't do, or sings or doesn't sing. Are we supposed to feel validated that someone like her knows that Moz exists? I'm truly sorry but it sounds like a ....terrible thing.

I quite liked it, but then I'm not a snob.

I am a snob, and not only do I like this cover but I also thought her last album was one of the best of 2013. Her willful provocation should appeal to Morrissey fans. Go listen to the song "FU" - it's a terrific tune and funny/weird as hell. It doesn't sound remotely like anything Morrissey has ever done, but to my ears it shares some of the spirit.

I made it through about 24 seconds. Awful. The band is doing a fine enough job, I suppose, but her voice (speaking and singing) is like nails on a chalkboard. And she stepped all over the signature opening of the song with her useless babble.

I listened to the whole thing and the beginning is pretty rough but there are parts where she really projects and it sounds decent.

Anytime she wants to come over and sing this song into my microphone she's more than welcome to but if she's going to talk she better have my balls in her mouth because she really has nothing to say.

You don't know that.

I think pretty much anyone can relate to this song.. it speaks to anyone who has ever been in love, been shy, hated their parents, felt trapped, et cetera.

Just because she is famous and has always been wealthy doesn't mean she can't identify with any of those feelings.

Maybe she too, like many of us, heard it and said, "Wow, I'm not the only one"

I'd rather hear the song farted out a dog's arse.

If Barney eats any more canned cat food, that can probably be arranged. Good God.

You mean sacred? I will watch the video I just have to prepare myself, ya know, mentally for the horror that will be induced by hearing this ill-fitting cover first-hand

So true...I want to watch and listen to it and see/hear how bad it is, but I think I will become so nauseous that I'm afraid to hit play.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom