MOJO Magazine: Johnny Marr teases “Strangeways” box set (November Issue, number 336)

‘Meanwhile, Marr confirms rumours of a Strangeways, Here We Come box set are not unfounded’
“Yeah, there’s been some talk of a Strangeways box...particularly on that last album, what we were after sonically meant that the [work in progress] monitor mixes were a really good listen. They didn’t need a lot of bells and whistles. The rough mixes and demos from that period hold up really well. So, yeah, it’s be nice to see them all lovingly curated somewhere or other.”

Interesting, though personally haven’t heard any of the “rumours” mentioned here...

The rest of the short article just talks about his new album - this was the only part that seemed particularly relevant.
ABB086D2-A3D7-43AD-97A6-AF9842ED9C25.jpeg

that would be cool, can see that happening. If so, wonder if M would keep it that blue color, or change it.

At least M won’t go taking songs out, with Marr there, it seems.
Out of all his reissues, I wish he didn’t mess with Viva Hate. I guess he had his reasons though.
I don't like his solo reissues. I don't understand his thinking....I mean, OK, everybody has the originals multiple times over so why not change up the artwork, font, etc, yes I understand that. But the new fonts were so tacky. But totally f***ing with the tracklists...chopping up songs...making all the songs bleed into each other...NOT including so much material from singles, demo sessions, etc...leaving off songs from the original issues...adding songs that had nothing to do with the album...I don't get it.

I don't like his solo reissues. I don't understand his thinking....I mean, OK, everybody has the originals multiple times over so why not change up the artwork, font, etc, yes I understand that. But the new fonts were so tacky. But totally f***ing with the tracklists...chopping up songs...making all the songs bleed into each other...NOT including so much material from singles, demo sessions, etc...leaving off songs from the original issues...adding songs that had nothing to do with the album...I don't get it.
I agree - the same with Prince and several other reissues that don't appear to have any thought or structure.
The closest we got was TQID deluxe (which was pretty damn good all things considered).
Why each album, chronologically, can't get a release with perhaps a remaster, a second disc of rarities and oddments and even a third disc of a live gig that best encapsulates said album (where practical) is beyond me.
Much like Prince, it seems like someone pulled an album name out of a hat and went with it.
The Rhino album/reference CDs got close too, but sadly consigned to a couple of people only.
Once again, the murky history of who owns what and any agreement appears to give way to the rather poor efforts we've seen in the solo years.
Regards,
FWD.

Yeah, totally agree, bad move on his part. Maybe he made those changes in order to reclaim the work or it was a way to state that it is his art and he can and will do what he wants with it. Or more likely he’s just very sensitive to what he feels were mistakes of his and now in his eyes here is his chance to ‘correct’ them. Though by taking a song out or replacing it, it just makes it more obvious that he has issues with that song.

Anyway, hope they just do a quick fade-in and release A Fool Such As I, would be great to hear. I’m just very curious about it, a strange choice of cover for them out of all of the Elvis songs.

Why each album, chronologically, can't get a release with perhaps a remaster, a second disc of rarities and oddments and even a third disc of a live gig that best encapsulates said album (where practical) is beyond me.
Marr spoke before about how much of a struggle it was to get stuff released, due to 'someone' blocking things, so I think Morrissey himself is the likely reason for the hold up of any obvious rarities/demos etc coming out. I wouldn't be surprised if his squabbles with Joyce are behind it - he probably bristles at the idea of releasing anything that he might make money out of.

Sounds really interesting, I hope it happens. There are a lot of dicks here with useless/redundant comments. I come here sparingly for that reason, since 1999. Please die x

I've always rather liked Heavy Track. It would have been really interesting if Morrissey had added lyrics to that.

I've always rather liked Heavy Track. It would have been really interesting if Morrissey had added lyrics to that.

yeah it rocks, makes me think of Led Zepp. Though, may be out of place as a Strangeways instrumental (?).

They'll probably release it next year for the 35th anniversary

Yes, anniversary! And The Smiths will reunite for 2 shows London Manchester and perform the whole Strangeways album!

let me dream :oops:

Yes, anniversary! And The Smiths will reunite for 2 shows London Manchester and perform the whole Strangeways album!

Who’ll play the drums? Will M&M…forgive someone? 🧐

But with new singer The Smiths has a new singer his name is Rick Astley they say it is better that Morrissey already sold 2 Shows in October, meanwhile Morrissey is quiet and does not make any comment, while Ricky increases his bank account, at least Johnny gave his opinion Moz reacts!!!!

But with new singer The Smiths has a new singer his name is Rick Astley they say it is better that Morrissey already sold 2 Shows in October, meanwhile Morrissey is quiet and does not make any comment, while Ricky increases his bank account, at least Johnny gave his opinion Moz reacts!!!!

Not sure why you are getting so arsey about this, its a great thing seeing an established artist like Rick and an up and coming band like Blossoms taking The Smiths songs to a few thousand youngsters.

Not sure why you are getting so arsey about this, its a great thing seeing an established artist like Rick and an up and coming band like Blossoms taking The Smiths songs to a few thousand youngsters.
Bear in mind, you're talking to the MD Chapman of Solo. One of many Chapmans here, but still...

Anyway, hope they just do a quick fade-in and release A Fool Such As I, would be great to hear. I’m just very curious about it, a strange choice of cover for them out of all of the Elvis songs.

Is it though? When viewed in context with other songs written (and covered) at the time (and shortly after)...?

Johnny has loads of camcorder footage from these sessions hasn't he, would be good if some of it could make it into the boxset in some form.

Is it though? When viewed in context with other songs written (and covered) at the time (and shortly after)...?

I mean, I don’t find it strange that they’re covering an Elvis song. I just think out of all the Elvis songs to choose from. I wonder if Johnny was happy with what I’m guessing to be M’s suggestion, since
he wasn’t too pleased with ‘Work Is’
and I’m curious as to how they approached it. I doubt they attempted those low backing vocals.

Also, I don’t know when in the recording sessions this cover was recorded. But with the beginning being accidentally erased, I could imagine the incident being just another straw added to the load that broke (Johnny’s) the camels back.

Bear in mind, you're talking to the MD Chapman of Solo. One of many Chapmans here, but still...
Gregor S I don't understand what the MD chapman alone means, I don't know what that is, please tell me what you mean. On the other hand I am simply an admirer of Morrissey and period, no one encourages me to write here, only admiration for my favorite singer. The only limiting factor for me is the language, I do what I can....

Tags
box set johnny marr strangeways

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom