Mojo (Oct. 2012) cover features The Smiths

I am really looking forward to picking this issue on Thesmithsmorrissey from Morrisson's just as soon as I possibly can.

I love the way they balance they always balance the 5 years of Thesmiths with morrissey-solo. Just like this site! And just like Morrissey does in his live shows where there is an almost mystical entwinement of Thesmithsmorrissey.

What's not to like? Stop hating on Mojo! I'm just NOT buying it that it's just another Boomer Graveyard for heritage/legacy Festival Pub Rock Dads. No, it's not! It's where 'my generation' build their shrines to surely some of the most AMAAAAAZING! music ever made. PUNK!!!!!!! And POST-PUNK!!!!!!!!! "People try to put us down, just because we still around...." Hater? Hate On! Go and listen to Bieber and One Direction and leave the serious intellectual music to those who have the mature intelligence to discuss it!!!:straightface:

regards

Johnny "Professional Ex-Smith" Marr and probably a few roadies and gossip-mongers who spoke to Morrissey for 5 minutes in a corridor in 1984. Same shit, different day.

:lbf:

I have a Mojo classic special about Manchester, where all 4 Smihs speak and Morrissey & the story of Manchester.

Came out round 2004[can't find a year or something when it was out]Iguess

Coverfoto is a pic of Morrissey, the first line is part of a few lines on the cover

so it's a just a way to get big sales,extra CD is prolly the most interesting [or not after hearing it]

Was it this one?
June 2004
633395327459519476.Jpeg

They have done quite a few in the same vein,
but the Tony Fletcher stuff might be interesting in the new issue :)

633393005254590856.Jpeg
633396166971450009.Jpeg
634336204140121376.Jpeg
634814033854695470.Jpeg

tell it like it is....xxxxx

I'm a Smiths fan. I'm supposed to be whiny, right? :rolleyes:

I love the musical artistry of The Smiths.

What I don't love is these endelss re-heatings of their 'legendary story'. Every one of these dozens of 'Untold Story' pieces is basically the same. I could probably write this new one tonight; you know exactly who's going to be featured and exactly what they're going to say. So maybe Tony Fletcher's interviewed the bus driver who drove the No.27 bus Johnny took to Stretford on that fateful day; I could care less. The only 'truth' I'm interested in any more is Morrissey's, and that'll probably be mostly lies.

I suppose it is great that people are still discussing them, and it's great that new fans are finding out about them, but I grew up when The Smiths were a thorn in the side of the mainstream media. As much as they were worshipped by the few, when I got into them they were generally loathed by the mass culture (as solo Morrissey is now, curiously enough...) There was always that beautiful friction at play. So to see the mainstream clasp them warmly to it's bosom and herd them in to the vintage industry of Beatles, Bowie, Dylan et al...something about it irks me. It's great that they're taking their place with such legends, but there is just something demographic-driven and market-led that depresses me.

The Smiths music fills me with joy. This rips the joy right out.

Was it this one?
June 2004
633395327459519476.Jpeg

They have done quite a few in the same vein,
but the Tony Fletcher stuff might be interesting in the new issue :)

633393005254590856.Jpeg
633396166971450009.Jpeg
634336204140121376.Jpeg
634814033854695470.Jpeg

no, none of them, it's from the MOJO CLASSIC ones

3 other bands named on the cover [smaller than Morrissey, that is the big upper name with&the story of Manchester]

Joy Division
Oasis
Stone roses

under the cover a line in white with following bands in smallest typeform on the cover
happy mondays
the Fall
Buzzcocks
New Order

I can scan it but don't know how to get it saved on my pc, and show it

[even got the orginal NME in 1992 about his rascist allegations, its still in whole but the colour of pasper isn't that proper]

Last edited:
I just grabbed another MOJO' special limited editio' from 2004

which is not seen in the ones Morriszey showed

the cover is a well known Smiths pic in the early years

All 4 Smiths members, Morrissey in de spot with daffodils in his hand Joyce on the right, Rourke and Marr on the left.

the title;

' the inside sory Morrissey [bigger lettertype in gold]& the Smiths[smaller lettertype in gold]'

145 pages

foreword by Alex Kapranos on page 3 [Franz Ferdinand]

---

the new MOJO will bring nothing new, as I wrote earlier the CD maybe the
most interesting

shall look around, thought I have also a Q magazine special, as Morriszey showed there's
already many special editions about Morrissey or the Smiths released, if your just into the Smiths
buy it, for the most regulars it's nothing new

goodnight and thank you

Yeah right! Mojo is going to tell us an untold story? Umm... Not sure!! I will buy it, but I wish Billy Bragg was not in that compilation!! Yuck!!! And double yuck!!

Tony Fletcher's book is the basis of this article. I, for one, am looking forward to his book, which has been a long time in the making.

P..

whats the name of the film that the boy in the cover of the cd called???? i forgot,its a classic movie just cant remember the title of the film.

Yeah right! Mojo is going to tell us an untold story? Umm... Not sure!! I will buy it, but I wish Billy Bragg was not in that compilation!! Yuck!!! And double yuck!!

Not overly enamoured with William myself but that song is a f***ing classic.

However Josef F is bang on the money with his comment.

I suppose it is great that people are still discussing them, and it's great that new fans are finding out about them, but I grew up when The Smiths were a thorn in the side of the mainstream media. As much as they were worshipped by the few, when I got into them they were generally loathed by the mass culture (as solo Morrissey is now, curiously enough...) There was always that beautiful friction at play. So to see the mainstream clasp them warmly to it's bosom and herd them in to the vintage industry of Beatles, Bowie, Dylan et al...something about it irks me. It's great that they're taking their place with such legends, but there is just something demographic-driven and market-led that depresses me

I too grew up with them, and witnessing the mass adulation and legendary status they are given these days by every band and music magazine actually gives me a kind of warm glow - we KNEW they were the best band there ever was at the time, despite them being generally reviled and vilified.

I'd still rather have them discussed to death in 2012 than ignored and be forgotten about...even if it means that the tale is told again and again, from a slightly different angle...I'll buy the magazine and make a judgement :blushing:

I suppose it is great that people are still discussing them, and it's great that new fans are finding out about them, but I grew up when The Smiths were a thorn in the side of the mainstream media. As much as they were worshipped by the few, when I got into them they were generally loathed by the mass culture (as solo Morrissey is now, curiously enough...) There was always that beautiful friction at play. So to see the mainstream clasp them warmly to it's bosom and herd them in to the vintage industry of Beatles, Bowie, Dylan et al...something about it irks me. It's great that they're taking their place with such legends, but there is just something demographic-driven and market-led that depresses me

I too grew up with them, and witnessing the mass adulation and legendary status they are given these days by every band and music magazine actually gives me a kind of warm glow - we KNEW they were the best band there ever was at the time, despite them being generally reviled and vilified.

I'd still rather have them discussed to death in 2012 than ignored and be forgotten about...even if it means that the tale is told again and again, from a slightly different angle...I'll buy the magazine and make a judgement :blushing:

Well said Sir, (or Madam!)
I love it when Mojo, Q, etc. run features about Morrissey and The Smiths, I can't get enough to be honest.
There's a funny attitude on this site where ANYTHING new appears it must be rubbish. Not as good as the old days. Tunes not as good. Band members not as good. Lyrics not as good. Don't let this attitude get to you, there are some positive posters here. It IS great that people are still discussing them and writing about them. Long may they continue to do so...

Which part of that isn't true?

I thought it was agreed that they are different and that 'good' when it comes to art is a subjective word...?

I thought it was agreed that they are different and that 'good' when it comes to art is a subjective word...?

Yes, Morrissey has built his whole persona, career and artistic oeuvre on the idea that there is no hierarchy of taste and aesthetics and that all cultural choices are entirely equal......wait!......

*sncrly f smwht snrkly B.B*

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom