Morrissey A-Z: "Born To Hang"

I have almost every recorded Morrissey song (just a few missing that I don't care about), but the unreleased songs during the 90s somehow escaped me, wasn't checking sites like this one. Yes, it is definitely a pleasure to know that I might still discover a gem ! And it is also a wonderful opportunity to rediscover songs that I haven't listened to in a long time, or through the perspective that other loyal fans offer.
Well said May.

I gotta share; these Morrissey A-Z threads have reinvigorated my interests in some of those shadowy corners of Morrissey's back catalogue.

I exclaim!

1612383418268.png

(Just re-watched Fury Road!)

Didn't Morrissey plan a rockabilly EP some time in 1991? This definitely sounds like it should have been on it. But nope, not really my thing, since I'm not that keen on Pregnant either.

Didn't Morrissey plan a rockabilly EP some time in 1991? This definitely sounds like it should have been on it. But nope, not really my thing, since I'm not that keen on Pregnant either.

This was just discussed recently on another one of the Morrissey A-Z threads. Certainly interesting. But not as odd as the potential Morrissey-Prince collaboration.

This was just discussed recently on another one of the Morrissey A-Z threads. Certainly interesting. But not as odd as the potential Morrissey-Prince collaboration.
The likelihood of that ever happening must have been around 0.01 %. And if Morrissey managed to get Prince in the studio with him, I'm sure he would have sunk His Purpleness's contribution in the outro of some b-side, audible for only those who have supernatural abilities.

The likelihood of that ever happening must have been around 0.01 %. And if Morrissey managed to get Prince in the studio with him, I'm sure he would have sunk His Purpleness's contribution in the outro of some b-side, audible for only those who have supernatural abilities.

So you're saying there's a chance? -- A boy can dream!

Nevin Re: Rockabilly album. From Rogan's "Morrissey - The Albums"
RoganRockabillyEP.jpg

Veering between high & low energy sounds more like depression than rational decision making, unless they've got something he said to go on.
Judging from what I have read, he rarely gives reasons for his decisions.
His mental health certainly wasn't very stable in those years between the split and the release of Kill Uncle. The original Bona Drag got scrapped as well.
And yet he released some of the finest work of his career during that time.

His mental health certainly wasn't very stable in those years between the split and the release of Kill Uncle. The original Bona Drag got scrapped as well.

Yes, that's true.

I was reading a book about anxiety that said dwelling on the worst is comforting - it teaches us that we can survive. Maybe in his darkest hours that's what he's doing.

It's by the school of life.

20210203_210016.jpg

I love this song, I remember hearing it alongside "Oh Phoney" and "The Bed Took Fire" all around the same time. I'll always be deeply fond of the rockabilly material and agree with the conventional wisdom that an EP of this, Pregnant, The Loop, Pashernate Love, etc. would have been a wonderful supplement to and/or substitution for Kill Uncle.

Plus recording and scrapping a John Peel radio session, the Wolverhampton live video, and the constant line-up changes. Dude was pretty much Scrappy-Doo during this period. It's amazing so much great stuff still got produced.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom