Morrissey A-Z: "By the Time I Get to Wherever I'm Going"

BookishBoy

Today's song in the A-Z is this one: a "lost" track which was released on to YouTube (I think?) in April 2018.

What do we think of this one?

And tomorrow we start on the C's!

I think I have only listened to this a single time before when released. Its simple, fanciful, light. I welcome it's discovery! I could however do without that little instrumental thing before the ending.

I could also see it being rockabill-ied a-la KROQ EP, with a standing bass administered by Spencer. Stepping up the tempo perhaps.

Does anybody know the story behind why it was "lost" or excluded from consideration on any album or b-side? (haters - please save us from the obvious statements of, "'cause its not good" etc.

Last edited:

I think I have only listened to this a single time before when released. Its simple, fanciful, light. I welcome it's discovery! I could however do without that little instrumental thing before the ending.

I could also see it being rockabill-ied a-la KROQ EP, with a standing base administered by Spencer. Stepping up the tempo perhaps.

Does anybody know the story behind why it was "lost" or excluded from consideration on any album or b-side? (haters - please save us from the obvious statements of, "'cause its not good" etc.
Suggested to be from the glut of songs circa LIHS.
As Sam offered zero about it - everything is conjecture.
It wasn't on the list of known missing tracks, so came from left field.
Some details as to music credits & date would be great.
Regards,
FWD.

One of the best things he has released the past seven years or so. Not quite up there with the WP bonus tracks or the two other lost tracks (BDE, ICUWPL), but not far off. Maybe I’m exaggerating, maybe I’m just getting overly excited every time Moz releases a typical Morrissey pop song with good lyrics nowadays. I don’t know. But I do really like this song.

think this was the first of the free tracks followed by blue dreamers eyes,catchy little number,havent listened to it in a while,sounds pretty good.

Love it - also want to know who he wants on the lawn.

It's amazing how much more listenable this is compared most of the songs on LIHS.

It's not hard to imagine an alternative reality in which M hadn't said quite so many foolish things and Jeremy Vine would be playing the daylights out of this on Radio 2. It's got a lovely Tom Jones swinging vibe to it.

It's amazing how much more listenable this is compared most of the songs on LIHS.

It's not hard to imagine an alternative reality in which M hadn't said quite so many foolish things and Jeremy Vine would be playing the daylights out of this on Radio 2. It's got a lovely Tom Jones swinging vibe to it.
I think they'd need to edit out that terrible guitar 'break' towards the end. It's musically incongruous and of little musical merit.
This is the first time I've heard this song and, like 'Brow' I'm surprised how good it is compared to the material that gets released.

I like it a lot but it does sound unfinished and the guitar solo bridge whatever seems like it was just kinda a stand in to fill the measures until someone came up with a part. It’s a fun song but I do wonder if it’s the subject matter that keeps these songs from reaching albums. Probably feels he’s written songs like this a lot of time before. I’d still love to see these songs get a better release

A fun little lighthearted track which feels a little unfinished. I wonder if Morrissey just felt it wasn't going anywhere and production/mixing was never quite fully completed.

The lyrics are not exactly classic Morrissey, but they are quite entertaining and there is a charm to their whimsy.

Morrissey sings very well on this era of songs.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 179 from 264 solo songs.

My take is that it doesn't fit either thematically or musically with LIHS, which is a very political record, for better or (in most cases) worse. It's like one of the World Peace deluxe edition tracks, which gave us Morrissey being Morrissey instead of waffling about Allen Ginsburg or Irish prisons.

Love this one, better than Blue Dreamers Eyes, imo. Really smooth, laid-back feeling to it. Great bass line. Would have made an excellent b-side. The short musical interlude towards the end is not uninteresting, but needs more work and gives it a World Peace touch.

Not hard to imagine why this one was abandoned though, as it would have had no place on Low In High School, like Eldritch pointed out.

Probably good to keep in mind that it sounds unfinished because it is...

My take is that it doesn't fit either thematically or musically with LIHS, which is a very political record, for better or (in most cases) worse. It's like one of the World Peace deluxe edition tracks, which gave us Morrissey being Morrissey instead of waffling about Allen Ginsburg or Irish prisons.

morrissey going on about poets and prisons in very much in the “morrissey”characters cannon

Moz is lettin' ya know that there is no final destination
to attain, cause a destination means an endin'.
Ye must live in the journey of life.
Ya endin' will come soon enough.
They maybe even left the track kinda unfinished,
to articulate this observation.

It sounds really familiar - as in, it sounds like a lot of other Morrissey songs. He hasn't worked out a full vocal melody. Lyrics sound like half-arsed doggerel to be honest. 'Talk about logic and have you on the lawn?

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom