Morrissey A-Z: "Don't Make Fun of Daddy's Voice"

I love this song for what it is, a proper rock song, Moz has done relatively few of those in the last 20 years. I'm surprised that it's one of Morrissey's lesser liked songs, I think it's one of the better Quarry b-sides. As for the lyric, it never really bothered me. Morrissey's performance carries the song

A moderately amusing b-side, it wouldn't have really fitted on an album imo. And I believe it was recorded too late to be included on You are the Quarry anyhow.

Morrissey's decision to use it as the final encore on some big shows was typical of his personality, but I had to smile in spite of myself.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 147th from 264 solo songs.

A moderately amusing b-side, it wouldn't have really fitted on an album imo. And I believe it was recorded too late to be included on You are the Quarry anyhow.

Morrissey's decision to use it as the final encore on some big shows was typical of his personality, but I had to smile in spite of myself.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 147th from 264 solo songs.
Where is that list?

It came to number 217 (of 284) with an average of 7.17 on this site a few years ago.

Last edited:
My pal and me went to herculean lengths to secure tickets to the 2004 homecoming show at the Manchester Arena and a good night was had by all.

There was only one downside and it was this song.

A CLASSIC MOZ B-SIDE. don’t make fun of it! :oops:

It’s interesting what other ‘artists/singers’ do (can not do) with the instrumental tracks that Morrissey’s band members offer him to make art with.

Compare, if you dare

:lbf::cool:

Where is that list?

It came to number 217 (of 284) with an average of 7.17 on this site a few years ago.

Solo poll vs Hoffman poll !

Who is right and who is wrong I can not say!

Maybe we need to take a poll on this ?

It’s interesting what other ‘artists/singers’ do (can not do) with the instrumental tracks that Morrissey’s band members offer him to make art with.

Compare, if you dare

Christ - it's even worse. I admire Alain for trying something different with the jarring chords, but it just doesn't work when it comes to trying to add a vocal melody over the top.

Compare, if you dare

So sluggish compared to the Morrissey version, performance and personality are everything

Musically it doesn't do much for me but I'm intrigued by the weird lyrics.

I wonder if the wording in the Spanish coda was chosen deliberately or if it's just a translation error. (Somebody with better Spanish skills correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe "No te divertes con pappy" translates to "Don't have fun with daddy", not "Don't make fun of daddy"...?)

Also, I think Alain didn't play on the final version...?

Anyway, a curious little song and interesting b-side.

Musically it doesn't do much for me but I'm intrigued by the weird lyrics.

I wonder if the wording in the Spanish coda was chosen deliberately or if it's just a translation error. (Somebody with better Spanish skills correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe "No te divertes con pappy" translates to "Don't have fun with daddy", not "Don't make fun of daddy"...?)

Also, I think Alain didn't play on the final version...?

Anyway, a curious little song and interesting b-side.
Yeah, the translation is off. It comes out closer to “don’t you have fun with daddy?” which, of course, still perversely works.

Personally I always thought this song was a bit clumsy. I vaguely recall there was a hope on this forum that it was going to be released as a single

Music's not great but it was a surprisingly fun song. The middle eight's pretty good and the Spanish bit in the last chorus is an unusual novelty for a Morrissey song. I wouldn't normally choose to listen to the recorded version but would be happy to hear it live.

Music's not great but it was a surprisingly fun song. The middle eight's pretty good and the Spanish bit in the last chorus is an unusual novelty for a Morrissey song. I wouldn't normally choose to listen to the recorded version but would be happy to hear it live.
A pleasant novelty, yes. Of course that was before Gustavo started singing the end of Speedway in Spanish:D

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom