Morrissey A-Z: "Everyday Is Like Sunday"

Haha, the attention off of a flippent comment about Sabrina video for Boys, and people say Morrissey fans are gay, haha, or some can have both, it's a free world after all

Haha, the attention off of a flippent comment about Sabrina video for Boys, and people say Morrissey fans are gay, haha, or some can have both, it's a free world after all

Sabrina the beard.

That's interesting, I thought "Suedehead" and "Everyday..." were the only songs played on every tour. Agreed though... it's one of those songs that everyone in the audience knows. The crowd also goes crazy for HSIN? and I think the live version he's been doing sounds awful. 🤢
Yeah, I believe EDILS was barely played between 1991 and 2002.

Yeah, I believe EDILS was barely played between 1991 and 2002.

You're right. I did a bit of digging on setlist.com...
  • 1991 - Kill Uncle tour- played at almost all shows
  • 1992 - Your Arsenal tour - played at about 50% of the shows
  • 1995 - Boxers tour - not played
  • 1997 - Maladjusted tour - not played
  • 1999-2000 - Not played
  • 2002 - Played at all shows

You're right. I did a bit of digging on setlist.com...
  • 1991 - Kill Uncle tour- played at almost all shows
  • 1992 - Your Arsenal tour - played at about 50% of the shows
  • 1995 - Boxers tour - not played
  • 1997 - Maladjusted tour - not played
  • 1999-2000 - Not played
  • 2002 - Played at all shows
I believe it’s the same for “Suedehead” except for the fact that it was played every night on the Your Arsenal tour and just once or twice for the Japanese audiences in 1996.

More ... grist for the mill ...

but can mills survive a nuclear war?

It seems this sea side town has, because it was not worth bombing ...

A commenter on songmeanings.com
that goes by the name of Sleepy Weasle says this .....

“I agree that boredom is certainly a central theme of this song, but I think that we're not fully recognizing the nuclear undertones. Bear in mind that this was written and released during the time of Margaret Thatcher as Britan's PM, and before the fall of the Soviet Union. Thatcher's heavily militaristic policies coupled with the still-present threat of nuclear war may have been the driving force behind these lyrics.

My interpretation (and I am not comitted to it) is that this isn't about boredom as much as it is about the aftermath of a nuclear war. The quiet boredom that accompanies a sleepy town on a sunday could also be that of a deserted town after a nuclear war. The story (in my opinion) is that of two lovers who have survived the war, but probably not for much longer. Note the lyrics don't just refer to wanting a nuclear bomb to come, but that they're in a town that "they forgot to bomb." This strikes me as a reference to the fact that the town that they're in was spared nuclear destruction, only to face a more prolonged one, and that the earlier mention of wishing for nuclear bombs is so that their suffering can be ended.

The last lines of the song, which note the falling of a "a strange dust" probably refers to that of the ash that follows a nuclear detonation and the fires that follow. Again, I'm not convinced that I'm right, but this has always been my interpretation.”

“The lyric is reportedly inspired by Nevil Shute’s novel On the Beach, about a group of people waiting for nuclear devastation in Melbourne, Australia.”

according to https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everyday_Is_Like_Sunday

sunday goth

greased strings

Seemed to be popular at the beginning of the pandemic shutdown, could have been #1 if it was rereleased again

Well, I’m glad you’re singing that and not me

;)

Edit: ..and Lucette Henderson, if you’re out there, and have anything to add?

I really like the Monophona version. Thanks

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom