Morrissey A-Z: "Girl Least Likely To"

BookishBoy

Today's song is our second Morrissey/Rourke composition in three days! Originally a B-side on the "November Spawned a Monster" single.

What do we think of this one?

One of his best b-sides of that era. I love how it just flows on, without any chorus or conventional stuff like that. And of course, the lyrics are great. Relatable, fun, and both biting and warm-hearted. I’ve always loved this one.

The third inferior song in a row and, while some people have talked about the bar being lowered later in Morrissey's career, I think the failed Bona Drag sessions marked a real nadir.

He was clearly working with the wrong collaborators, and this might be the best/worst example of that. Both Johnny and Stephen Street took inspiration from plenty of other songs, but they always put their own stamp on them. This track is the most blatant example of plagiarism across Morrissey's career and it simply sounds like an anaemic version of The Cookies' original. Gerry Goffin's production had some atmosphere and depth, which is really lacking in Clive Langer's attempt.

There have been plenty of occasions throughout the solo career when it feels like Morrissey is trying to create a tune over a nothing backing track, but this is probably the only time when I'm not sure the collaborator even deserved a writing credit. Morrissey must surely have chosen Only to Other People as a possible inspiration (especially as he lifts the "So many times" lyric), and I guess Andy's only role was to speed it up a tad. Not good enough.

It was a very smart move to not include this on the compilation, as if it had been a money maker it could easily have provoked a lawsuit.

It's also not a strong song, as it drags on too long and Morrissey's vocal is far from his best. He is desperately trying to impose himself on the tune, but "I do think this but I can't admit it" and even "gi-i-i-rl" feel crowbarred in and don't fit the music.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 231 from 264 solo songs.

Many years later when I heard where he and Rourke stole the tune I was surprised how blatant it is but I still think this one is okay. It's lightweight and fun like a b-side should be. And "one more song about the Queen" is a pretty funny line.

From PJLM:
In a 1990 interview for The Face, Morrissey said "['The Girl Least Likely To' is about] that friend you have who really believes in the imminence of her success yet secretly you know it's never going to happen for her"

In a 1998 interview to KCXX radio, he was asked if the song was about a particular person, and answered "Yes there is and it was quite terrible for me because this person listened to the song and immediately knew and a terrible fight ensued. But that was many years ago and... but still... quite interesting. I wish I'd been a bit more secretive though. But what the hell! You know..."
I rather like this song but I'd rather listen to The Cookies' original.

I think this is one of Morrissey's most autobiographical songs. The "girl least likely to" is him - and the doubts expressed throughout the song are either his, pre-Smiths, or those of concerned friends and family members. At the end, he "comes down and meets" his younger, ambitious-but-possibly-deluded self. We know the rest...

While there are other great Moz tracks fraught with, err, maladjusted defiance - and some of them have better musical backings - this one is surely the most triumphant. I can hear the scorn of downbeat Mancunians ringing in his ears by the end. Musical fame happens "only to other people" after all.

i like it,one of his longest lyrics.who cares if its a rip-off,being light fingered in music is nothing new.

I’ve always greatly enjoyed this one.
A great song to sing along to, too.
A staple too on the YA-tour if I remember correctly. Fond memories.

I’m probably not gonna be a big fan of the original cookies song but morrisseys song is really funny and the vocal melody is pretty catchy. I love it when it comes on. Ive been a fan of punk music for a while now so the similar music doesn’t really upset me that much

It's such a blatant music lift that I wonder if the composing credit was essentially gifted to Rourke at the time, as part of the sweetener to get him to accept the payoff and pull out of the court case with Joyce. That said, he must have seen Johnny do similar things with the likes of 'Panic' and 'A Rush and a Push' etc, so maybe just decided to shamelessly give Morrissey what he asked for? In the days before Youtube, and everyone sharing information like this on the internet, The Cookies song must have been pretty obscure, and hardly anyone was going to notice.

Anyway - I actually like this song, even if it's clearly B-Side material - mainly for Morrissey's unrelenting vocal. The first verse essentially lasts until 3:35, when he finally takes a break. The shift from the non-stop paragraphs of attach to 'darling it's all for you' at the end is quite sweet as well.

Morrissey is either a prophet or has access to a time machine, as I'm pretty sure this is written about Fiona Dodwell.

I’ve always greatly enjoyed this one.
A great song to sing along to, too.
A staple too on the YA-tour if I remember correctly. Fond memories.

The forum liar never remembers. That’s the think with liars.

Despite the feeling of Moz's lyrics being shoe-horned into the tune, I have grown to like it somewhat. I am not one to poll songs, but if I did, it wouldn't be too low, or too high.

It drags on - but I get caught up in the drama/comedy of it because he does sound so urgent & anguished.

A fvcking brilliant song!!!

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

So who is it about ?

“In a 1990 interview for The Face, Morrissey said "['The Girl Least Likely To' is about] that friend you have who really believes in the imminence of her success yet secretly you know it's never going to happen for her"

In a 1998 interview to KCXX radio, he was asked if the song was about a particular person, and answered "Yes there is and it was quite terrible for me because this person listened to the song and immediately knew and a terrible fight ensued. But that was many years ago and... but still... quite interesting. I wish I'd been a bit more secretive though. But what the hell! You know..."

Was even better live ....

I thought the longish quality of the song just emphasized the humorous theme

One of my absolute favorites. I love when Moz pulls off a good rambling tune with nary a chorus to be heard, just like “Disappointed” and “Maladjusted” and some others. To me, this is one of those classic tracks where every single line is great. Couldn’t say who it’s about, as it’s obviously not Linder and I wasn’t aware Moz even knew any other women.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom