Morrissey A-Z: "Glamorous Glue"

Thought it was 'jaw'... as in masculinity,
First day as a man, etc
Growing up to be disenchanted with the other men (ie politics).

I also thought it was a reference to Bowie's 1984
'Beware the savage jaw'
Which according to online lyrics are actually
'Savage lure'.

I guess I'm dumb and should read the lyrics more often.
Its whatever you want it to be...

Though in the The Best Of it’s transcribed as ‘First day with the jar’.

And maybe I’m wrong, but I always heard it as ‘First day with a jar you find’ which makes more senses to me.

I’m thinking jar as in the verb to be jarred, to be shocked by what one finds, the experience was jarring.

Thought it was 'jaw'... as in masculinity,
First day as a man, etc
Growing up to be disenchanted with the other men (ie politics).

I also thought it was a reference to Bowie's 1984
'Beware the savage jaw'
Which according to online lyrics are actually
'Savage lure'.

I guess I'm dumb and should read the lyrics more often.

Its whatever you want it to be...

It could be something as simple as saying that you wake up with a jar (i.e),you wake up surprised. 'I awoke rather jarred and perturbed' The 'jar' may not be a noun but a verb. Replace 'jar' with 'surprise'. First day with surprise you find....

Ah yes, you beat me to it. That’s how I took it.

Think there’s confusion because we think he’s singing ‘the jar’ rather then what I’m hearing ‘with a jar you find’.

Shall we take this escalate this conversation into the realms of “Blinded by the Light” by Manfred Mann’s Earth Band?

:lbf:

isn’t it complicated enough already?

Or "Supersonic" by J.J. Fad for those rap aficionados in the crowd. I think this went head to head with "Strangeways" on the album charts...not really.

Here is a sample of lyrical genius from 1987.

A sama lama lama lama doo ma see ma nama lama doo ma lama nama see ma
Na ma lama doo ma lama see ma lama see ma doo ma humma, yeah (Yeah)
That's it (That's it)​

Last edited:
Ah yes, you beat me to it. That’s how I took it.

Think there’s confusion because we think he’s singing ‘the jar’ rather then what I’m hearing ‘with a jar you find’.
I always thought 'the jar' referred to a jar of glue (hence the song title). On the first day sniffing glue, you have revelations such as the fact that 'everyone lies'.

I always thought 'the jar' referred to a jar of glue (hence the song title). On the first day sniffing glue, you have revelations such as the fact that 'everyone lies'.

That’s interesting. I could imagine that. Even though I never sniffed glue, well, not yet.

But if we’re going to take the title into consideration, then what is ‘glamorous’ about this glue?

I always heard it as “the jar” and thought it referred to the working glass habit of drinking out of mason jars rather than “proper” glassware. I think the notion that “the jar” refers to a startled state of being is a real stretch.

I always heard it as “the jar” and thought it referred to the working glass habit of drinking out of mason jars rather than “proper” glassware. I think the notion that “the jar” refers to a startled state of being is a real stretch.

Now this - a mason jar - hits the nail on the head for moi back in the day! That some country thinking on that plot device - but hey, its Moz so I went with it!

As for that "state of being" - I never considered that! My mind has expanded...

The more I think about it, the more 'Glamorous Glue' can only mean is a class distinction between glue sniffers on the park and those who can pay for inebriation. I can't believe it took me so long to realise this. I can be thick sometimes.

We're getting all Karl Marx up in here!

Yes, you’re probably right.
Though my ear can hear both ‘with the jar’ and ‘with a jar’, my mind prefers to hear ‘with a jar you find’, as in ‘with a shock you find’, just makes more sense to me.

You're going to laugh at me Mr Shoes, but the meaning of the title 'Glamorous Glue' had gone way over my head. I like discussing Morrissey Songs again like this. It's making me watch the videos and listen to the music more bacause I know that other people will ge doing the same as me. It feels like a shared experience.
Right on DW!

I feel similarly. Nice to chat it up on a shared passion. We can take it lightheartedly or go full-on academic on these songs. Some facts I heard before; others things new. After all, even when Moz was at peak-fandom, the odds were always been slim to meet up with other like-minded souls.

Might also be relevant to add that the lyrical content of the traditional Irish song “Whiskey in the Jar” is centered around deception and betrayal. Everyone lies indeed.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom