Morrissey A-Z: "I Have Forgiven Jesus"

BookishBoy

Today's song is this one, a Morrissey/Whyte composition from the You Are The Quarry album. Released as a single in the UK, it reached Number 10 on the Christmas chart of 2004 (back in the pre-streaming days when the Christmas chart wasn't almost entirely filled by "classic" festive tracks).

What do we think of this one?

A masterpiece. And completely original - no one else could ever dream about writing a song like this. I said that Camden is the best song off of Quarry, but it could very easily be this one, really.

Oh, and the b-side, The Public Image, is in my opinion one of his very best b-sides.

My problem with Quarry is it has so many slow (or mid) tempo ballads, especially on the first "side" of the album. Very odd track order. However, this is probably the best of them for me. Very funny, interesting lyrics.

this is the song (and video!!!!) that made me love mozzer. it's still probably my favourite morrissey song (and video!!!).

this is the song (and video!!!!) that made me love mozzer. it's still probably my favourite morrissey song (and video!!!).
The video might just be his best ever video.

Today's song is this one, a Morrissey/Whyte composition from the You Are The Quarry album. Released as a single in the UK, it reached Number 10 on the Christmas chart of 2004 (back in the pre-streaming days when the Christmas chart wasn't almost entirely filled by "classic" festive tracks).

What do we think of this one?

"I carry my heart in my hand.
Do you understand?"

At the end he looks similar to William Shatner.

great song,good video,he did this on the frank skinner show at the time and i think they changed it slightly.
8 priests/10 priests.

A truly amazing song, showing the strength of the Quarry singles and the relative OK-ness of many of the other tracks. Great, blackly comedic lyrics with suitably funereal instrumentation that builds to a vindictive crescendo. While there are other good songs after this on Quarry, the double sucker punches of “Irish Blood...” and this mean the album peaks very early on in its runtime.
9/10

It might just be his best ever song as well. He certainly never wrote anything better after he wrote this.
Even though I probably don’t agree, I sure respect this opinion. It really is a remarkable song.

I completely respect how good this song is both musically and lyrically, it's such a wonderfully twisted treatment of religion in a song - I could just never think of it as one of my very favourite Morrissey songs as I've never connected with it for the simple reason that religion bores me rigid.

Give me a song about the clash between desire and ugliness/self-loathing, any day! (I mean yes, "self deprecating bones and skin" - I love that bit.)

A strong song, but under normal circumstances this would never have made the top ten. It shows just how much Morrissey-fever had taken hold in 2004 that this could be a decent sized hit.

Having said that, I don't think Jerry Finn's clean production sound did any harm in getting airplay for the singles.

Roger Manning's involvement in the sessions also gives them a different (and imo superior) sound to the previous album.

I enjoy the dark humour of the lyrics.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 42nd from 264 solo songs.

When he runs through the days of the week it's like his own hellish version of the creation in the book of Genesis.

It’s a good song, and no more (for me)
The album is good but also overrated. I used to think it was 10/10 but with the passing of time, Quarry has slipped down the pecking order. And despite having numerous copies of it, including both Europe and UK vinyls, I don’t play it often. Maybe it can have a go later.
*maybe

I have to agree with most of the opinions. One of his most extraordinary songs.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom