Morrissey A-Z: "It Happens Every Time"

BookishBoy

Today's track is Morrissey's cover of this Tim Buckley song, from the latter's self-titled debut album in 1966. Morrissey's version was on the B-side of the vinyl single of "It's Over" released in January 2020.

What do we think?

Last edited:
bookish,thought you slept in.good song,good vocal,short n sweet.
8 everys/10 times.

A lost gem this one. It could have easily slotted onto the great California Son, with its wistful, forlorn lyrics and convincing instrumentation. The strings actually sound pretty good here! Obviously, due to its streaming absence (strange, considering the past uploads of other related b-sides) and my not having the actual single (very expensive!) I don’t listen to it often, but a strong vocal performance lifts this near to the original. One that should get more appreciation, for sure.
8/10

Haha, I know what you mean, am starting to feel guilty if I don't post these before 6.30am!
nah its fine.you should get a medal for doing this so just put them up when you can.

Today's track is Morrissey's cover of this Tim Buckley song, from the latter's self-titled debut album in 1966. Morrissey's version was on the B-side of the vinyl single of "It's Over" released in January 2021.

What do we think?

January 2020👍
Not a fan of Buckley but this track is a favourite of mine. I’d never heard this until the intermission music at a Moz concert years ago.

his own effort was quite exquisite also. 🥰
It should have been on CS

January 2020👍
Not a fan of Buckley but this track is a favourite of mine. I’d never heard this until the intermission music at a Moz concert years ago.

his own effort was quite exquisite also. 🥰
It should have been on CS
Oops, have gone back to fix that date.

A very strong cover and it makes me wish even more that we will someday get to hear Rainbow Valley.

Morrissey's voice sounds much younger than his years.

In the poll on the Hoffman board this ranked 113th from 264 solo songs.

A f***ing glorious pop song, fitting Mozzer perfectly in every conceivable way (lyrics, mood, instrumentation, vocal melody...). It’s definitely better than most of the stuff on CS. A crying shame that it’s not more widely available.

This is only the second time I’ve heard this, and you know what 4king love it....
It’s almost as if it were a Morrissey song in its own right...

It does still throw me a tad when Morrissey sings “she” in a love song
It just sounds so unnatural 😄

First time I've heard this - absolutely love it! I really like the original as well. Thanks for posting and making my Saturday that bit better. Lovely.

Wish he picked something from Starsailor instead. :blushing:

Easily Tim Buckley’s best album,

truly beautiful ...

full album 1970

Last edited:
Amazing cover . Far better than original . Morrissey sounds just perfectly. It's a pity that it is not on California Son .

The first time I heard it, I love both the original and his cover. A little ray of sunlight.
Agree that it should have been on the album proper, instead of being tucked away on a vinyl that became available 8 months after the album itself.

I don’t suppose anyone FWD mainly, knows when it was first aired as an intermission song???

Wish he picked something from Starsailor instead. :blushing:

Easily Tim Buckley’s best album,

truly beautiful ...

full album 1970

The self-titled album from which "It happens every time" is taken, is a very pop friendly album. This one is quite to the contrary. The song collection works better as a group than on their own, but I wouldn't mind hearing his version of "Song to a siren".

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom