Morrissey A-Z: "Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up on the Stage"

Well, not really a sad trend.

Jack the Ripper indeed is stronger than today's song...
Jack the Ripper is also infinitely stronger than You're the One for Me, Fatty which was issued in the same year.
Very true @Flibberty - I hope we can both agree however that You're The One For Mr, Fatty is a much better single that Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage? :)

Obviously a Brexit song, despite the denial.

Scene 2/4/6.... 24 June was the date of the result.

Sentiments about Remainer lies too true... and now demonstrated as such....

Magnificent triumph of the working classes!

I very much doubt it's about Brexit. Something he didn't even bother mentioning until after it was over & he was mad at the press coverage.

It reminds me of The Killing of Sister George when she loses her girlfriend & her job & ends up distraught in an empty studio.

I love it.

This is my son's favourite Morrissey track. He is 5. I had to play it 4 times in a row driving to his swimming lesson last week.
My daughter was the same with When Last I Spoke to Carol. She was three or four, I think.

Ah, my hope in the future generation is restored !

Viva Moz !!!

:rock: :thumb:

This is one of those ones that's in the 'well, it's OK I guess' category. In the right mood, I can enjoy it (particularly live), but it does tend to go on a bit, particularly the 'everybody's heading for the exit' bit'. The video is also almost unwatchably ghastly. It's not just the band, but Morrissey's dancing that's hideous - it's like watching your grandad taking his shirt off and trying the sort of dance moves he used when he was twenty. There comes a time when you should have some dignity, put it away, and act your age.

I remember I had a break from listening to Morrissey's music. I didn't even know a new album was coming out. And it was this song that brought me back to the World of Morrissey . Catchy, fresh with fun and smart lyrics. Boz should appear on the Dancing with the Stars show 🕺

It's a song that I like with each listening.

As for the video - is this the last video to date that features Morrissey? I know he dislikes music videos but I enjoy him in them and they do help his career/sales (there were videos for all singles released on YATQ and ROTT, and YOR).

I think the band in this video are intentionally dancing badly (this seems evident towards the end) but I'm not entirely sure the video suits the video. Maybe it's just the young extras at the back. Anyway, really good song on an unbalanced album.

It's a song that I like with each listening.

As for the video - is this the last video to date that features Morrissey? I know he dislikes music videos but I enjoy him in them and they do help his career/sales (there were videos for all singles released on YATQ and ROTT, and YOR).

I think the band in this video are intentionally dancing badly (this seems evident towards the end) but I'm not entirely sure the video suits the video. Maybe it's just the young extras at the back. Anyway, really good song on an unbalanced album.

I think Back On The Chain Gang was the last?

I think Back On The Chain Gang was the last?
Oh yeah, correct. Similar video to Jacky that, with its young extras dancing in the background. I wouldn't be surprised if nephew Sam had some involvement with this video, not least with getting the extras.

Unlike the Jacky video, Morrissey doesn't look like his having fun in the video for Chain. Maybe it's the guitar 'playing'.

Oh yeah, correct. Similar video to Jacky that, with its young extras dancing in the background. I wouldn't be surprised if nephew Sam had some involvement with this video, not least with getting the extras.

Unlike the Jacky video, Morrissey doesn't look like his having fun in the video for Chain. Maybe it's the guitar 'playing'.
Poor Sam....
He takes some shit on here ...
It won’t be to long until his name is linked to the holocaust, covid or the fake moon landings....

Give the lad a break...
His hearts in the right place ....

VIVA SAM.....

I could imagine.

Yeah, he does look uncomfortable.

Love this song, one of my favourites, love the album too.
Vid just about forgivable despite Boz's best efforts to ruin it; yet saved by the professional female dancers with handsome footwear. ;)

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom