Morrissey A-Z: "Mute Witness"

Surely this is one of the best and most subtle songs ever written about a UFO encounter.
You know, I was all set to laugh at this as a ridiculous leg-pull and jesting post...but this is the first time that the 'see her pointing to the frisbee' makes sense, with this being the mute persons attempt to describe a flying saucer.

I had always presumed this song was about some kind of sexual assault or incident on Clapham Common, so could never quite undertand the frisbee reference. This reading of a UFO encounter has blown my mind, and I'm not sure I'll be able to listen to it the same way again - suddenly it all makes sense! :eek:

In 1992, I bough my first Morrissey record—Kill Uncle from a second-hand record shop in Haight Ashbury. Given that I could’ve bought Our Frank as a single, Mute Witness might be the only reason I didn’t take the CD straight back to the shop, after playing. I remain rather fond of the song. Nevertheless, I should’ve taken Kill Uncle back.

Last edited by a moderator:
...Reel Around The Fountain which is actually a song about alien abduction. The fountain being most likely circular is a veiled reference to a flying saucer, and the butterfly being pinned and mounted well, that’s about being probed.
What next? Is 'Wide to Receive' about waiting to receive an alien anal probe? :squiffy:

I’m sure there are more songs if we can just get past the red herrings of believing that most of the songs are about Johnny Marr.
You say that - but let's remember that Morrissey once stated on stage that "Johnny Marr was Stephen Spielberg's first choice for E.T." http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/live/moz-g000210.htm

Could this be the connection? Is Johnny not of this Earth? Is he a 'visitor'? Did he have a 'close encounter' with Morrissey on Clapham Common one night, which shocked Morrissey so much he couldn't speak about it, only giving out coded references in his lyrics?

The plot thickens, but the truth is out there. 👽👽👽

You know, I was all set to laugh at this as a ridiculous leg-pull and jesting post...but this is the first time that the 'see her pointing to the frisbee' makes sense, with this being the mute persons attempt to describe a flying saucer.

I had always presumed this song was about some kind of sexual assault or incident on Clapham Common, so could never quite undertand the frisbee reference. This reading of a UFO encounter has blown my mind, and I'm not sure I'll be able to listen to it the same way again - suddenly it all makes sense! :eek:
That’s funny, I thought it was common knowledge that this is the subject of the song.

I’ve just read the lyrics to this song and never would have thought it to be about alien ships....
😳😳😳

It’s not about UFO’s. it’s about getting really small and riding a frisbee like a UFO. Haven’t you ever heard the Tyrannosaurus Rex song ‘one inch rock’ ?

Yes I’ve always seen it that way, Morrissey being the mute witness,
and people not listening believing his encounter. But there’s more to the story, and I think an even more subtle song is Reel Around The Fountain which is actually a song about alien abduction. The fountain being most likely circular is a veiled reference to a flying saucer, and the butterfly being pinned and mounted well, that’s about being probed.

Morrissey is just using art as self therapy in order to heal himself of these traumatic experiences. I’m sure there are more songs if we can just get past the red herrings of believing that most of the songs are about Johnny Marr.
Come on, Ket. Always speaking out of ignorance. It's not "Reel Around the Fountain" that's about alien abduction, it's "I Started Something I Couldn't Finish." The song is very clearly written from the perspective of an alien reluctant to go through with the full extent of the probing and experimentation commanded by his superiors.

The lanes were silent
There was nothing, no one, nothing around for miles
I doused our friendly venture
With a hard-faced, three-word gesture

The abduction took place on an isolated strip of country road, the three words obviously being "unidentified flying object."

I started something, I forced you to a zone
And you were clearly never meant to go
Hair brushed and parted typical me, typical me, typical me
I started something and now I'm not too sure

This is rather self-explanatory, as the "zone" is a place beyond the limits of human understanding. With the abductee's hair "brushed and parted," the preliminary grooming process had begun but the alien is struggling to complete the procedure.

I grabbed you by guilded beams
Uh, that's what tradition means
And I doused another venture with a gesture
That was absolutely vile

Guilded beams = gilded beams, as in the golden beams of light shot down from the spacecraft to paralyze and capture the abductee. This is indeed the tradition of the Greys, who perform the grunt work for the Draco reptilian alien race. Succumbing to the pressure of his commanders, our alien apprehensively performs the "absolutely vile" gesture, which is of course the invasive probing of the anal cavity.

Need I go on?

That’s funny, I thought it was common knowledge that this is the subject of the song.
Well, I also learned something new tonight. I would definitely be one of those persons unable to take such a story seriously.
In addition, I always thought the sentence was "describe the fight of last night" and it is only now I notice that it actually fright. Add the frisbee and the muteness that comes with fright, and it might actually be true.

What would the volunteer part be in the ufo story. How does that tie into making things clear. I always assumed this was based around some old movie or show I didn’t know. Like some old twilight zone episode or something. Great song though. The out and out pop song of kill uncle I suppose. it’s is interesting how the character is pitied but also clearly mocked. I find it interesting that the song kinda pulls you into enjoying the characters mocking. I doubt the pc crowd would be that happy with it being played live though. It would probably be considered offensive to the differently abled

I love this one. I love Kill Uncle! It took the Internet to make me realize t was not a good record. Too late, though. Anyway this is a classic.
'4 A.M. Northside, Clapham Common
Oh, god, what was she doing there?"
I always loved this line. It's so minimal but really conveys the message. Probably not a place civilized people want to be, I'd imagine.
"Now see her standing on the table
With her small arms flailing
And you feel such compassion
In your soul for
Your mute witness
Still testing the strength
Of our patience
Oh, well she's only trying to tell you
What it was that she saw
She is only trying to tell you
What it was that she saw"

I didn't understand the clue in the "pointing at the Frisbee" line for years (it went over my head?) but I got the idea that this is a poor disabled street person who might have seen something or might just hallucinated it, and the police do not want to hear the story. It's a masterpiece. There are all sorts of details, the fact that she leaves in a taxi, for example, that tell you her social status. Poor woman having a meltdown at the police station and they are kind enough to call a cab to take her away, probably to a shelter.
10/10

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom