Morrissey A-Z: "My Dearest Love"

Wiki states: "The B-side of the Decca (#4780964) single "My Dearest Love" was written by Morrissey along with Alain Whyte, the two being responsible for lyrics and music respectively. The song was recorded in Los Angeles and produced by Oscar and BAFTA winning composer Gustavo Santaolalla, responsible for Brokeback Mountain, Babel and The Motorcycle Diaries. The song received additional production by Jerry Finn, the man behind 2004’s You Are the Quarry."
I'm guessing there must be a story behind this. Was it originally intended for a movie soundtrack, then repurposed as a bside? Or was Moz trying out a potential new producer with a single track and it didn't fully work out?

The piano and vibe makes me think of Pigsty, wonder if Alain wrote it around the same time.

Morrissey’s delivery on this hits hard, almost forgot about this one.

That fan video works great.

The piano and vibe makes me think of Pigsty, wonder if Alain wrote it around the same time.

Morrissey’s delivery on this hits hard, almost forgot about this one.

That fan video works great.
It's very much like Pigsty with less of a groove. No idea why it took so many producers to record something that sounds so sterile.

It's not my favorite from Swords but it's a great b-side. I think he was on a roll around that time. The lyrics are fairly simple but it's nice to have some dramatic music from Alain and I like the vocals. As others are are saying it's got some similarities to "Pigsty" and nothing wrong with that.
7.5/10

I love this song. The way he sounds so angry at the end he can’t even form words are r the way he sounds almost frantic when he sings my dearest love. A highlight but only one of the reasons swords is a fav

I like it ok. It’s definitely a song that imho improves when sung live, as I find it sounds less cold and more operatic.

I think the cold bit is part of the appeal. Makes it sound more bitter and angry despairing and resigned to torment. One of the few songs I like with a fade out as it suits the song perfectly. An unintelligible wailing that doesn’t necessarily fade so much as it feels like a voice the listener is moving away from

It's very much like Pigsty with less of a groove. No idea why it took so many producers to record something that sounds so sterile.

Well it’s very difficult to make things sound sterile, but I think they achieved it here.

:lbf:

oh it’s not that bad.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom