Morrissey A-Z: "Satan Rejected My Soul"

This song always gives me a shot of positive energy. Of course, only Morrissey fans would be jumping, bouncing around and cheering to a song entitled « Satan rejected my soûl » because we are a strange kind.
And I adore the jangling guitars on this one.

never quite goes this low :laughing:

Love this thumping, romping, rocker; a fine track to close Maladjusted. I find it so uplifting & energising. It has to be played loudly of course.
Again for me it's Cobrin's drumming, & the Bridgwood bass...gets me every time. Fine vocals from Moz, & band completely in sync. Love the satanic sideburns in the TFI Friday video. A fun, self-deprecating lyric, set to a pounding beat:

Satan rejected my soul
As low as he goes
He never quite goes this low

Wonderfully super-duper, & one which really does pull me in, call me in!!

A great song, and an excellent choice for a single although suffered from being the third one off the album. Love the sparkling guitar line in the intro (a 'chordal riff' apparently!) and then when it reappears in the chorus. Splendid wit and self-deprecation in the lyrics, and a brilliantly ad lib'd outro. A superior quality Morrissey single, well deserving of its reappearance in the 2020 set-list.

I love this one, but the last minute—of a 3 minute song—is just wasted I think (so many variations on "pull me in"). A third verse or something would have made it perfect IMHO.

Attachments

• 279D643D-0174-48C2-9015-99846384E107.jpeg
    279D643D-0174-48C2-9015-99846384E107.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I recall reports that during one American show the song had to be stopped midway through due to their poor playing.

Thanks for that, I didn't know that. Makes me wonder if this happened back in '97 or when he recently reintroduced the song back into the setlists in 2019?

Thanks for that, I didn't know that. Makes me wonder if this happened back in '97 or when he recently reintroduced the song back into the setlists in 2019?
One of note: It was stopped at Cleveland ('97) as someone held up a sign saying "Joyce 1 Morrissey 0"
(after someone had already shouted "Johnny did it better" at the end of Paint A Vulgar Picture).
Regards,
FWD.

So I guess there isn’t a place in hell
for him ... :(

He's seen my face around
He knows Heaven doesn't seem
To be my home
So I
must find
Somewhere else to go
I must find
Somewhere else to go

So,
take it - please”

Always loved those words and the way he sings them against the changing chords. Lovely, and was so great live.

One of note: It was stopped at Cleveland ('97) as someone held up a sign saying "Joyce 1 Morrissey 0"
(after someone had already shouted "Johnny did it better" at the end of Paint A Vulgar Picture).
Regards,
FWD.
Thanks for this. I've heard about that incidence, of course, but I recall that there were also reports at the time of a show with them stopping the song due to the musicianship. Observers may well have conflated a couple of things into one, of course.

The shout about Johnny shows that there have always been fans who fit the, "Back in my day" type.

Regards,
FWD.

Followed up with Alain on a live mic: "Thanks, you've ruined the gig...!"

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom