Morrissey A-Z: "Sorrow Will Come in the End"

I am throughly ashamed to say that this is the first time I have ever heard this song... And I 4king love it.
Where has this song been hidden???

Lyrically it’s straightforward
And this makes it even more dramatic...

Could imagine this song bringing the house down if played live...
I’m sure someone will know if it has.

10/10

I am throughly ashamed to say that this is the first time I have ever heard this song... And I 4king love it.

10/10

Morrissey should be ashamed of this ridiculous, petty, childish song. Yet another complaint by an incredibly rich man that somehow, someone who is nowhere near as rich as him gets some of his money for the work they did. Rourke really got shafted, agreeing to a much lower settlement in returning for working with Moz, who promptly dumped him after two b-sides.

Morrissey should be ashamed of this ridiculous, petty, childish song. Yet another complaint by an incredibly rich man that somehow, someone who is nowhere near as rich as him gets some of his money for the work they did. Rourke really got shafted, agreeing to a much lower settlement in returning for working with Moz, who promptly dumped him after two b-sides.
Life’s a Bitch.....

Then you join The Smiths 😉

10/10
I’ve never heard it either. And I can’t blame that on being from Carlisle 😬 just laughing around Baz. Lyrics are 💕 Hope you are okay Bazzzz.

Then you find out the other guys got paid 4 times more than you did.

Mike played dumb, and he ‘won’.

:cool:

Marr’s account ..,,,

“Morrissey and I would meet up in the morning in Piccadilly, walk to the studio and plan what was happening next. We were on our way to record ‘What Difference Does It Make?’ when the subject of financial arrangements came up. I wasn’t thinking that we would actually make much money at that point, playing the weird songs that we did on an indie label, but we decided that we would split the income for the group with 40 per cent each for me and Morrissey, and 10 per cent each to the other band members, seeing as we ran the band. However much I’d have liked to have thought that The Smiths were made up of equals, we weren’t, and unlike some bands The Smiths didn’t fall into being a band together.

Like all bands starting out, none of us liked discussing the financial arrangements. I wanted to continue making the record, and I didn’t want to deal with it so I put it off.

Joe talked me round and said he’d straighten it out, and then he called a meeting between me, Mike and Andy the next day. I told them the situation had to be resolved and said that if they didn’t want to go ahead, I understood, and, as disastrous as it was, I’d go and do something else with Joe. We all talked about it and the next day we were back to normal and it was like nothing had happened.We didn’t even think to put it in writing. It would’ve been a good idea if we had as the uneven split of The Smiths’ royalties would eventually boil over into a court case, in which Mike and Andy denied they had ever agreed to an unequal split.”

££££:(

Even if he (feels) is right, it's beyond pathetic. The first time I felt second hand embarrassment for Morrissey. Makes "How do you sleep" look like a symphony.

Sorrow comes in the end to those who avoid confrontation or dealing plainly with people at all times, abdicate and run away from all personal responsibility and then have to spend millions to settle a lawsuit concerning their incompetence before whinging about it for twenty years.

Crap song too.

Sorrow comes in the end to those who avoid confrontation or dealing plainly with people at all times, abdicate and run away from all personal responsibility and then have to spend millions to settle a lawsuit concerning their incompetence before whinging about it for twenty years.

Crap song too.

Agree, very childish. Morrissey felt wronged, so he wasn’t going to make it easy for Mike. Then again, it seems some people could only face this world through song, through their art. Which I feel has always been the case for Morrissey. And at the end of the day, just more ... grist for the mill.

What I mean is. We wouldn’t have the songs if Morrissey was ‘normal’.

But you’re right, Marr and Morrissey shouldn’t have ‘run away’ they should have had Andy and Mike sign a contract at the time, but Marr unfortunately and naively thought that a spoken gentleman’s agreement was enough.

Last edited:

Listening to this again, haven’t in a long time, I wonder what Alain thought of it when first hearing the words.

Did he like it, or was it similar to Marr’s reaction when he heard the
words to ‘Some Girls Are..” for the first time?

Anyway, can’t tell if most of the instrumentation is real, think the production could have been better and voice treated differently.

Listening to this again, haven’t in a long time, I wonder what Alain thought of it when first hearing the words.

Did he like it, or was it similar to Marr’s reaction when he heard the
words to ‘Some Girls Are..” for the first time?

Anyway, can’t tell if most of the instrumentation is real, think the production could have been better and voice treated differently.

If I remember correctly from Mozipedia, Moz and the gang were all having a big laugh in the studio when recording this song.

10/10
It was left off the U.K. release but included on all other territory releases. I think he was advised if it did indeed stay on the album, he may find himself in lumber. Yet it was included in the expanded edition in 2009 - the passing of time eh: and all it’s sickening crimes.
No, it has never been sung live. Or even spoken.

I hated it for years and cringed for some time, but with time, I’ve grown to rather like it.

Last edited:
It was left off the U.K. release but included on all other territory releases. I think he was advised if it did indeed stay on the album, he may find himself in lumber. Yet it was included in the expanded edition in 2009 - the passing of time eh: and all it’s sickening crimes.
No, it has never been sung live. Or even spoken.

I hated it for years and cringed for some time, but with time, I’ve grown to rather like it.

UK libel laws are the tightest in the world. If it had been on the UK release, the drummer would have had a strong case for libel, and Moz would have had to pay the drummer money. And we all know he hates paying drummers money.

I tend to like those Morrissey songs that fans don't appreciate so much. I love "Kick the bride down the isle", "The truth about Ruth", etc.
And I also really like "Sorrow..."

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom