Morrissey A-Z: "Speedway"

I've probably listened to this song way too much over the last 27 (!) years but it never fails to floor me, the way it builds up to that epic, crashing ending where he's singing his heart out (but still, still being coy and playful) - just the most extraordinary piece of music. Has there ever been another pop star who's sung about his own mythology as powerfully as this?

Amazing none of the stage invaders get caught up in his microphone cord.

Dramatic lights out - yes.
Lights out, band swap places - fine.
Lights out, band swap places - Gustavo singing... not so much IMHO.
That said, Morrissey stood at the keyboard looking on is possibly worth all the trouble.
FWD.

(? ⬇️)

What does one say about a song like this? A stone cold classic, the epic closer to end all epic closers. Soaring, roaring, emotional yet with a punkish defiance. It's a masterpiece - despite attempts on recent tours to destroy that status. Only bettered on V&I by the even more masterful masterpiece NMHIF.

classic M,what a song,fantastic.a song with a slow pace but still feels powerful.great lyrics,great voice.vivamozz on a thursday morning.
9 lies/10 written lies.

An album bookended by twin masterpieces, with this being one of the five crowning jewels of Moz’s solo career. Intensely beautiful and tragic, with the instrumentation deftly balancing tension and release. The chainsaw sample sends chills down my spine every time I hear it. And that ending: some of the best moments in music history, as the song reaches its vindicating climax, a wholly deserved powerful end to a showstopper song and great album.
10/10

I have very fond memories of March 1994 when I first heard the whole record and "Speedway" came as the finale. I had never heard anything like that on my stereo before. It's an incredible feeling when the chainsaw starts and then a song follows that is virtually one long chorus or consists of countless bridges that permanently build up arcs of tension in harmony with the music. And then Morrissey reveals himself: "I never said that they were completely unfounded". You can't get more brilliant Morrissey. I found later live performances with Gustavo on lead vocals (and Morrissey on keyboards) rather irritating and not conducive to the greatness of the song.

One of the songs that got me into Morrissey to begin with. This is one I always come back to. My favorite version here:

The interesting thing about this song is that it unites all Morrissey fans. All fans just love this song.

It’s from a no 1 album,
His best by all accounts ...
It’s great in the live arena.....
And most importantly

Auntie Janice is freaking out
Splashing the tens all over the place
Thinking she’s on strictly 💃🏻💃🏻

Personally I love this song.
As I do the album, I don’t think there is a bad song on Vauxhall..

And
10 again
Moz Masterpiece
Undeniable.

A stone cold classic. I guess the only scope for conversation (for me) lies in the question of whether it’s the best concluding song on any Morrissey/Smiths studio album. I think it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Undeniable.

A stone cold classic. I guess the only scope for conversation (for me) lies in the question of whether it’s the best concluding song on any Morrissey/Smiths studio album. I think it is.
Yes, hard to argue with that. I could make a case for "Suffer Little Children" but they're such different songs it would be nuts to compare their merits...

yeah 10/10. done to death live, though, it needs a rest. The 1995 introducing Morrissey version won't be topped.

Yes, hard to argue with that. I could make a case for "Suffer Little Children" but they're such different songs it would be nuts to compare their merits...
I was thinking less on the merit of the song its self (although that is obviously a consideration) and more in terms of how a final song operates to conclude and consolidate a whole.

Suffer Little Children, by both measures, is a great call.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom