Morrissey A-Z: "(The) Truth About Ruth"

I like the old fashioned quality to it, like it’s from the 1940s or something. It took me a while to warm to it, but I genuinely do like it now.

Definitely the weakest track on the album - it's not bad exactly, just overshadowed by everything else. It also feels slightly too familiar, like a reheated 'In Your Lap'. A little bit of Manzur goes a long way, and I'm not sure I want too many of this style of song.

To me it's very similar to In Your Lap: a po-faced and meandering piano dullfest that goes nowhere neither musically nor lyrically. Up to this point Dog is a very strong and an adventurous album, but this and Secret of Music make for a very weak third act, mercifully redeemed by Hurling Days. To me this is the worst track on Dog, since Secret of Music at least has an admirable devil may care attitude to it.

I like the old fashioned quality to it, like it’s from the 1940s or something. It took me a while to warm to it, but I genuinely do like it now.

Yes it makes me imagine it could have been the subject matter for some obscure old film that only Morrissey has seen.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom