Morrissey A-Z: "(The) World Is Full of Crashing Bores"

I like him saying, at the end of the live version, "What? Get it off your chest. We may never see each other again.".

An instant classic. Loved it then and still love it now. I can't think of any Morrissey song written after 2004 that I would consider "iconic" but there are certainly a couple on Quarry which confidently serve as worthy third act additions to his oeuvre.

Lyrically this song is a meaty offering, yesterdays song had a mere two verses. This just goes to show the pure genius of the man.
Moz just knows how to craft a song .
I’ve always enjoyed this song and can remember saying up late one night to listen and record an interview with Moz on the HRH Janice long show.
‘Twas the first offerings from YATQ
That i had heard, and was gob smacked ..
When Quarry was released it was the second greatest time to be a Moz fan , it was the second coming,
Only eclipsed by the Viva hate era
10/10

A very Beatle-esque song, with a fat, distorted riff echoed through the verses. Admittedly, those are the parts of the songs I like the least: too stodgy for me, with some lyricism that’s funny, but seems too wordy to fit over the half-time feel.
However, the chorus is surely one of his best: vocally, it’s astonishing, and the sentiments are simple, yet so classic Moz.
As much as many critics at the time didn’t want to admit, without the clear as crystal production of Jerry Finn (which just livens everything up, in my opinion), this could’ve been on Maladjusted. It’s tellimg that he had been playing this since the early 2000s.
Nonetheless, the ending almost surpasses the chorus, with another stellar vocal leading out.
So good, just not great all the way through.
7/10

great song,M getting things off his hairy chest,quarry was such a great time to be an M fan,it put him back into the spotlight with interviews and tv appearances.vivamozzonafridaymorning.
9 uniforms/10 whores.

I might be in the minority here... but to me, it's a lesser track on YATQ. In fact, I forgot it was on YATQ... in my distorted memory, I would have guessed ROTT. In that sense, it seems to be a forecast of what was to follow YATQ, thus the mental association. Hearing it again, there are several solid pieces here, title and lyrics are 100% quintessential Morrissey... but for some reason, it doesn't totally connect for me.

Last edited:
Unfortunately not as good as the incredible live version from 2002, which sounded like a continuation of the Maladjusted songs. Then they found the honorable Jerry Finnn (RIP), the thing was completely decelerated and produced in such a way, that nearly no grandeur was left. Still a listenable song but not outstanding. A few years ago, a member of this forum simply sped up the song and it sounded excellent.

Wonderful track from an absolutely superb album. Great lyrics, love the shimmering guitar sections. Vocally, as ever, right on it.
"... it's just more lock-jawed pop-stars
Thicker than pig-shit"

Moz telling it as it is. Fantastic.

Really don't like this one at all. Foolish, unfunny lyrics set to boring plodding music.
The worst lyric is probably:
"Lock-jawed popstars, thicker than pig-shit, nothing to convey,
So scared to show intelligence, it might smear their lovely career"
If they're deliberately not showing intelligence because it will harm their career, then they're not stupid are they?
And what kind of an insult is 'silly women'?
Am genuinely amazed that so many people think so highly of this song.

Last edited:
Now a fan, musically it's a dirge. The lyrics show Morrissey at his most swollen-headed - basically proclaiming everyone else in the world as a beneath him, whilst he is a genius. Only Morrissey is the special one, everyone else is thick as pigsh*t. It's the same ego-stroking nonsense as the equally crap 'People Are the Same Everywhere (Except Me, Because I'm Unique)'. I hate this side of him, but it's probably directly related to all the blind fan adoration he received for most of his career. Get some humility, you giant human-sized bobble-head of a man - it's very unbecoming.

Really don't like this one at all. Foolish, unfunny lyrics set to boring plodding music.
The stupidest lyric is probably:
"Lock-jawed popstars, thicker than pig-shit, nothing to convey,
So scared to show intelligence, it might smear their lovely career"
If they're deliberately not showing intelligence because it will harm their career, then they're not stupid are they?
Am genuinely amazed that so many people like this charmless, clumsy mess!

It's their act that's thicker than pig shit.

Unfortunately not as good as the incredible live version from 2002, which sounded like a continuation of the Maladjusted songs. Then they found the honorable Jerry Finnn (RIP), the thing was completely decelerated and produced in such a way, that nearly no grandeur was left.
As much as I have issues with the lyrics, I do agree that the original faster 2002 live version was far superior. As with 'Mexico', Jerry Finn seems to have sucked all the life out of it in studio. It just seems so slow and dull in comparison.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom