Morrissey A-Z: "Trash" (live cover)

BookishBoy

Today's song is Morrissey's live cover of this Johansen/Sylvain composition, originally released on the New York Dolls' eponymous first album and also as their debut single.

What do we think?

Love the Dolls’ version, but Mozzer’s cover does nothing for me. However, I’m sure he must’ve relished performing it, though.

Trash the live version is from one of the greatest concerts known to humanity, the utter chaos at the end of the concert you’d have thought a bomb had dropped on the stage...

Moz and the band give this song so much energy, enthusiasm, and apply the Rock and roll , f*** this shit and just go mental and smash everything up...

His best cover ever ... put this up against Rose 4king garden🤣🤣🤣

f*** the Hofmann Board ..
This is top ten Mozzer pure Gold ,
At his best in the live arena as well

10/10 ⚖️⚖️⚖️

yes, trash by suede is a brilliant song. the best.

The original is fantastic: grimy, tragic and dynamic. Due to the nature of the live setting, Moz’s version was never going to top the original classic, nor so I think he was aiming to. Instead, he ways paying tribute to his heroes by performing a cleaner, more rambunctiously rockabilly take that I will never choose over the Dolls’ original, yet is still an artefact of early 90s Moz.
6/10

not for me,next.
5 not very good/10 ok.

I'm sure Morrissey enjoyed performing it, but it doesn't really have any musical merit. The band were very rough in 1991 and they are barely competent here.

The 1991 concerts were all about Morrissey and the fans. The musicianship was of little consequence at the time.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 255th from 264 solo songs.

I'm sure Morrissey enjoyed performing it, but it doesn't really have any musical merit. The band were very rough in 1991 and they are barely competent here.

The 1991 concerts were all about Morrissey and the fans. The musicianship was of little consequence at the time.

The Hoffman board sucks 📉📉📉

Barry, as much as I agree with you reference the Hoff, this song, and more so your Coors fuelled analysis of it, is rubbish.
I don’t like the Dolls either. 👍
Coors at 7 am ??? Come on Janice give me some credit...

9-30 is the norm😋😋😋

I love the dolls 🏆

Never took to this song at all...
The Dolls' version is a stinker, and despite the on-stage gymnastics, the band clearly enjoying themselves big-time, & a marginally better version from Moz, both tracks are, I'm sorry to say, quite literally, 'Trash'.

Yes, would have sounded better if he
done it in the Arsenal tour instead.

It’s true, and amazing that.
Can even be said of The Smiths, not to say that their musicianship was nothing less than magical, but most were there for what Morrissey brought to that collaboration.

:)
Exc Moz cover masterpiece from the Dolls, a good group.:hammer:
there you have it peeps, Comrade McMuffin certifying the Coors pop and guzzle at 7 am

:hammer:

Can even be said of The Smiths, not to say that their musicianship was nothing less than magical, but most were there for what Morrissey brought to that collaboration.
I think most were there for the perfect combination of profound lyrics of a kind they (or anyone else) had never heard before (or since) and shimmering music, equal parts despairing, equal parts joyous.

It’s fascinating that the debate of who was the main man in the smiths still rages on and on.

For me it was Morrissey his voice, his vocal delivery and of course the words, for which I’d never heard the like..

Then I realised that Johnnys contribution to the project was just as important and impressive.

I think that if your a musician playing whatever, then I would imagine that Johnny would have sucked you in, as like Morrissey, he was special, marr was and still is a special guitarist ...

I think most were there for the perfect combination of profound lyrics of a kind they (or anyone else) had never heard before (or since) and shimmering music, equal parts despairing, equal parts joyous.

I agree. For as I already stated in my post ...

their musicianship was nothing less than magical, but most were there for what Morrissey brought to that collaboration.’

It’s fascinating that the debate of who was the main man in the smiths still rages on and on.

For me it was Morrissey his voice, his vocal delivery and of course the words, for which I’d never heard the like..

Then I realised that Johnnys contribution to the project was just as important and impressive.

I think that if your a musician playing whatever, then I would imagine that Johnny would have sucked you in, as like Morrissey, he was special, marr was and still is a special guitarist ...

insightful and important to point out.

Yes a guitar player would most likely hear the vocals second.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom