Morrissey A-Z: "Whatever Happens, I Love You"

BookishBoy

Today's song is this Morrissey/Whyte composition, a B-side from the "Boxers" single and then included on the World of Morrissey compilation.

What do we think?

A great b-side, this, making the “Boxers” single one of his best overall. This uses dark squalls of clarinet to paint a darker picture than perhaps the other two songs have, but this is counterbalanced by softer, more tender verses. The lyrics are pretty simple: another boxing theme, sticking beside a loved one - however, the noisier sections hint at something bleaker, that the “whatever” in the title becomes more extreme as this relationship continues.
Not much else to say except it’s a good way to close out a superb collection of 3 songs.
8/10

I love it. A more experimental b-side, very moody and haunting.
And the way Moz sings “yes, yes, yes” gets me every time, fantastic and so inimitable, his unique approach to singing.

great song,a b-side that woul be most groups a-side,quality the whole way through.vivamozz.
9 fights/10 rights.

One of my favourites. Morrissey's tone is beautifully sinister. Yes, yes, Ohhhh yes.

The live performances of this song in the mid 90s is always a delight.

This is the song whereby I feel Morrissey's sexuality oozes the most into the track and into your ears. Nice imagery for a Thursday morning.

Yes, yes, oh 4king yes......I love this one. Of course the clarinet sounds as thought it resembles someone experiencing the start of a breakdown....

The lyrics look as though Moz is starting to emerge from the closet, but with only a few dozen words to this song, it works well as the star of the show is the clarinet ....

Don’t think I’ve seen this one live , but for those who have ....
You lucky sods 🤣🤣

VIVA PAY DAY 🎡🎢

I didn't like this at the time, it was a different story live on the Boxers/In Person tour of 1995 though.

Live it was very powerful with a crowd pleasing yes yes yes yes yes yes yes no, coda.

I like the clarinet and there is some atmosphere within the music. The drums sound a little sluggish, though.

Lyrically it is far too sparse and Morrissey ought to have done a lot more work on it. Obviously that became even truer of some of the other material that he released later in 1995.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 173rd from 264 solo songs.

Experimental, to a certain extent, but without ever straying away from being a song. Dark, but never losing its sweetness. Overall a fantastic song that really should make a live comeback. When was it last played?

The 3 new songs from January 1995 strengthened my faith in Morrissey many times over. So did this dark love vow with Boz Boorer's crazy clarinet that could almost be from early Roxy Music. How could someone who was asexual (that was my knowledge back then before the internet) sing about this like that? Little did I know. Great production that does not reveal everything and with frivolous background noises and Morrissey's moans you can live well. Can you?

This song accounts for the oddest moment in my Morrissey fandom. I was attending the 2007 Clearwater show during a vacation and he played this as a complete one-off. I don't believe it had been played since the Boxers/In Person tour and I'm fairly certain it has never been played again heretofore. It was an utter surprise and a treat.

I've loved the song since the first time it exploded out of my Stateside speakers at the top of World of Morrissey. The pounding drums, the bursts of woodwind, the snaky riff that Alain wraps around the verses. Morrissey seems to almost be singing in code, as if his feelings for this person are so overwhelming he cannot risk to say more as is his usual loquacious custom. The production on the "Boxers" single was sterling, some of the best work Lillywhite did for Morrissey - and this was the showstopper of the three.

This song accounts for the oddest moment in my Morrissey fandom. I was attending the 2007 Clearwater show during a vacation and he played this as a complete one-off. I don't believe it had been played since the Boxers/In Person tour and I'm fairly certain it has never been played again heretofore. It was an utter surprise and a treat.

I've loved the song since the first time it exploded out of my Stateside speakers at the top of World of Morrissey. The pounding drums, the bursts of woodwind, the snaky riff that Alain wraps around the verses. Morrissey seems to almost be singing in code, as if his feelings for this person are so overwhelming he cannot risk to say more as is his usual loquacious custom. The production on the "Boxers" single was sterling, some of the best work Lillywhite did for Morrissey - and this was the showstopper of the three.
He played it a handful of times in 2007.

(y)

Moz masterpiece done expertly during the Boxers tour:hammer:

One of my favorite Morrissey songs. I can't decide which lyrics to quote as I love them all. The part that opens with "fight for rights" and closes with "when they've all said their piece it's still you I love" might be it. 10/10

Reading comments about the lyrics I'd just call them impressionistic. The whole point is that there are always other concerns but "whatever happens I love you" so it kind of makes sense that these other ideas aren't made more specific. It's a great love song.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom