Morrissey A-Z: "When You Close Your Eyes"

BookishBoy

Our song for today (as we enter the final 20 of the A-Z) is Morrissey's cover (from California Son) of this Carly Simon / Billy Mernit composition, originally released on Simon's 1972 album No Secrets.

What do we think?

I really liked this one from the american covers album. With the gorgeous 70s orchestral elements completely removed, the 90s and modern electronica really do suit this interpretation, together with an awesome vocal melody delivered by our california son. All this, with dreamy sequences and backing voices, really hinted to a new direction in sound, that he developed further on IANADOAC.

I had never heard this before Morrissey covered it (guess I only know Carly's "obvious" songs) but it's fantastic and I love how Morrissey sings this one, so interesting to hear him doing a song of this style.

To me, this is one of many boring songs off of CS. ‘Boring’ is such a stupid word to use, but it’s really also the best one.

Again, I think this song shows the wisdom of Morrissey covering stuff written by really respected songwriters.

It's a lovely song and Morrissey sings it very well.

The only thing that I'm not so sure about is the drum sound.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 161st from 264 solo songs.

Last edited:
Another superb cover. This is one of the more experimental cuts from the record, as well as one of the most synth-heavy: as a massive electronic music fan, this really appeals to me, especially the lovely decaying, delayed pads that run through this interpretation’s entirety. Moz’s voice is angelic, as befits the lyrics, but the chords take a downturn at the end of the verse: everything is just window dressing for a disfunctional relationship (“not half as magic as she seems”).
The point where the lead vocals drop away is the song’s best, though, leaving a disorientating wash of backing vocals (which remind me of Liz Fraser from the Cocteau Twins) as well as a shoegazy, almost Lynch-Badalementi and Julee Cruise styled shimmer of phasing synths. The guitar and dog combo at the end is a nice touch to end this unassuming, yet grand (see the chorus and it’s more convincing horns) song. A grower, but another favourite from the IMO underrated California Son.
8/10

Took me a little while to appreciate this one when CS came out , but I like it now.
RE the original I’d never heard it before until just now, and I’m pleased, as it’s just dirge drivel.
Morrissey and his band have done a great job with this, as they have with most songs on CS
I’ll even say that this cover is way better than the original.....

The point where the lead vocals drop away is the song’s best, though, leaving a disorientating wash of backing vocals (which remind me of Liz Fraser from the Cocteau Twins) as well as a shoegazy, almost Lynch-Badalementi and Julee Cruise styled shimmer of phasing synths. The guitar and dog combo at the end is a nice touch to end this unassuming, yet grand (see the chorus and it’s more convincing horns) song. A grower, but another favourite from the IMO underrated California Son.
8/10
It's a good job you specified because for a moment, knowing Morrissey, I thought you were going to say that they remind you of Liz Fraser from the Carry On films! ;)

very dreamy for a saturay morning,voice is perfect on this.carly simon is such a respected songwriter and to have a bond theme song in her body of work makes it even better for me.
9 carlys/10 simons.

This and happiness remembers are the two songs I never play. I to just find it very dull

Absolutely wonderful interpretation & cover by Moz, which again completely hits the original for six. Voice is sublime; production by JC is amazing, as it is throughout the whole CS album. Delicious, delightful, dreaminess, which really is "just as magic as it seems".
Fabulous.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven’t fully embraced this song yet. Morrissey’s deep and warm voice is certainly a delight here.
The musical arrangement differs quite a bit from the original, it is almost too contemporar and polished for me. But it works as a late evening song.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom