Morrissey A-Z: "You Have Killed Me"

BookishBoy

Today's song is this Morrissey/Tobias composition, the lead single from the Ringleader of the Tormentors album, reaching #3 on the UK singles chart.

What do we think?

A killer single that smashed into the charts. Carrying from the four, top 40 singles from Quarry I think..
This was invincible Moz , at his peak, lean, mean and probably would have knocked Tyson Fury on his fat arse at this point.
Mozz was unstoppable at this singles release.
It’s a Belta of a tune, as good as any single such as Sunday, playboy,
It’s got a killer hook with stylish guitars ... Totally love this song....

Man, I remember hearing this for the first time on...was it MySpace? I think it was (maybe @Famous when dead remembers if it was first released there?). It really knocked me out. I listened to it so many times in a row, it was almost like a religious experience. The first six months of 2006 was a fantastic time for me as a Moz fan.

I still think it's one of his best ever a-sides, and it's amazing live.

I like this one if I don't think about it too much. "I still walk around somehow but you have killed me" is the best part and for me. I like the riff though and he does seem committed to what he's singing. One of the better songs on ROTT. 7/10

One of the best songs on ROTT, this is a dynamic rock piece that doesn’t break much new ground, but makes up for the lack of innovation with palpable suspense and excellent release. Despite the weak production of the LP overall, the best songs manage to shine through, this being one of them: a superbly catchy riff and chorus, some entertaining lyrical references as well as a sexually liberated undertone. The vocal performance also reaches great heights, especially in the almost-falsetto bridge.
One of Moz’s most popular songs, and it’s not difficult to see why.
8/10

Great music video. Elegant and Morrissey is so great with body language to complement his excellent voice.

Ultra catchy tune with a fitting production by Bowie/Thin Lizzy man Visconti. Moz strongly inspired by the eternal city of Rome (before the police hunted him down a one way street - the other way round - years later, but read elsewhere) delivers a gorgeous vocal performance. Sex metaphors, LOVE, dead filmmakers and drama all over: Killer single and best track on ROTT.

One of the best songs on ROTT, this is a dynamic rock piece that doesn’t break much new ground, but makes up for the lack of innovation with palpable suspense and excellent release. Despite the weak production of the LP overall, the best songs manage to shine through, this being one of them: a superbly catchy riff and chorus, some entertaining lyrical references as well as a sexually liberated undertone. The vocal performance also reaches great heights, especially in the almost-falsetto bridge.
One of Moz’s most popular songs, and it’s not difficult to see why.
8/10
Good point.

what they said.
8 the truth/10 and the whole truth.

After Quarry this seemed like a disappointing lead single, but it has improved over time and for me it's probably the best song on Ringleader. At the time Morrissey seemed to have really oversized expectations of the album, which really wasn't as good as Quarry in either musically or lyrically.

After Quarry this seemed like a disappointing lead single, but it has improved over time and for me it's probably the best song on Ringleader. At the time Morrissey seemed to have really oversized expectations of the album, which really wasn't as good as Quarry in either musically or lyrically.
I agree with your points here, Ringleaders for me was different from Quarry and it surprised me as I thought he would have made it similar to Quarry but it’s just different in production and it’s mood. Ringleaders has some gems on it mind.

When I first heard it, and listened again several times, I was truly disappointed and was expecting a Southpaw Grammar II as the forthcoming album.

When ROTT was finally published, I feel in love with Life is a Pigsty, but eventually, I realized that You Have Killed Me was a solid song and even a great single, the kind of song you hear in the shower at 7 am and keep singing all day.

I still like it a lot and I adore the HIV interpretation of it.

Yes a really good single, which helped the album reach number 1.

Easily the best RotT-single but still I prefer each one of the Quarry-singles.

I was disappointed by this upon release, and it still sounds musically thin and lyrically obvious to me.

It was the right choice of lead sing though, as the chart positioning proved, and the vocal melody catches the ear.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 52nd from 264 solo songs.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom