Morrissey and Marr #67 in Rolling Stone's "100 Greatest Songwriters of All Time"

Link from Morran:

The 100 Greatest Songwriters of All Time - Rolling Stone

#67 Morrissey and Marr

"I really believe he's one of the best lyricists there's been," guitarist Johnny Marr said about his songwriting partner in 1989, just after the Smiths' breakup. "I don't think anyone's got his wit or insight or originality or obsession or overall dedication." Together, in less than four years, the duo wrote more than 70 songs, with Marr working as arranger and producer and Morrissey navigating whole new worlds of misery and disaffection, often with much more wit than he got credit for at the time. Morrissey's lyrics went hand-in-glove with Marr's gorgeously-detailed melodies: the lilting car-wreck fantasy "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out," the Bo Diddley-in-space wallflower anthem "How Soon Is Now?," the homoerotic Afro-pop of "This Charming Man," the nouvelle vague folk of "Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want," and on, and on, and on. The more you listen, the clearer it becomes that Marr isn't exaggerating.

All these lists are pointless. They are always based who's biggest and coolest. ABBA are begrudgingly placed at 100 - love 'em or loathe 'em - ABBA singles have, arguably, managed to get lodged in more people's heads than any of the top ten. So how can they be below Taylor Swift? It makes no sense...

Rockin' the cradle aint the same thing as robbin'. ;P
Oh, and you deleted quite a few lines there.

#RestlessSpiritsTry

Probably for the same reason Morrissey once wrote:

"I once had a child, and it saved my life
I never even asked his name
I just looked into his wondrous eyes
and said "never never never again"
and all too soon I did return
just like a moth to a flame
see how words as old as sin
fit me like a glove
I'm here and here I'll stay
together we lie, together we pray
Climb upon my knee sonny boy
Although you're only three sonny boy
You're mine
And your mother she just never knew..."

Anyone who doesn't think 'The Hand That Rocks The Cradle' is about child abuse needs to get their heads examined.

Where's Bob Mould on this list? Alex Chilton? Bill Stevenson/Karl Alvarez/Milo Aukerman (Descendents/ALL)?

This list sucks.

Some of the greatest rock composers (Frank Zappa, Robert Wyatt, Tim Buckley, David Byrne and Nick Cave, to name a few) are, of course, missing. But what to expect from a list that includes Bee Gees, Taylor Swift, ABBA, Madonna and Dolly Parton, and has Paul McCourtney and John Lennon in the top five?...

Chilton for sure should be there. Don't agree with Robert or susie . the descendants as much as I love them well I don't know if I'd add them

alex chilton susie and the descendants couldnt write themselves out of a paper bag. that they should belong on there is absurd.
robert smith hasnt written a decent song in a decade.

alex chilton susie and the descendants couldnt write themselves out of a paper bag. that they should belong on there is absurd.

Sure he has:

Last edited by a moderator:

I think if Chilton had never done anything else other than write thirteen he'd still be there as its everywhere like thirty years later. In that seventies show the Elliott smith cover etc and I also think that other than just thinking a band good to be on he list you should have an everlasting cultural effect and influence. Chilton. Is everywhere from Gilmore girls to the replacements writting Alex Chilton one of there best known songs. I don't care for Robert or Susie to much though the cure has some fun songs I only really care about two of there albums. The descendants I love to death and they do have cultural influences but its always about the concept of them and there success at it that inspires rather than melodies and chord progressions. I don't think the bands they inspired could actually pull of the music only there character

Some of the greatest rock composers (Frank Zappa, Robert Wyatt, Tim Buckley, David Byrne and Nick Cave, to name a few) are, of course, missing. But what to expect from a list that includes Bee Gees, Taylor Swift, ABBA, Madonna and Dolly Parton, and has Paul McCourtney and John Lennon in the top five?...

wtf is Paul McCourtney?

So that's the prerequisite is it? You have to have written a decent song in the last decade? None of the top 20 in this list have written anything to speak of in the last 2 decades. What a fool.

The descendants last album which was pretty recent was one of the best with songs like american and cool to be you where the man watched his father die hating him still while he wants nothing more than to spend one more day with the man who threw him on t as a child and never too him back. I mean birthday IOU alone is worthy of a mention. A man sings a song to the child they aborted when he was young and the guilt he feels now later in life is just so honestly raw I find it very hard not to be moved

Rolling Stone is downgrading in quality tbh. Moz + Johnny deserve waaaaaay more than #67. Any publication that doesn't recognise that really is bad quality.

So that's the prerequisite is it? You have to have written a decent song in the last decade? None of the top 20 in this list have written anything to speak of in the last 2 decades. What a fool.

how would you know? youre musical knowledge is limited and you are too much of a dh to know whats good music,

finally clicked on the list and blackwell at 99 just kills me a bit inside. especially seeing kanye west like ten spots higher. hes like the lost of music

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom