Morrissey + Billy Bragg

selfvalidation

Ill advised
Hi :)

I did a quick search of the forums but nothing seemed to answer my question..

What I would like to know is - did Morrissey ever say he liked Billy Bragg, or vice versa. I know of Billy Bragg's covers and such, but i thought the reason i started listeing to Bragg was because i was certain Morrissey had name checked HIM at one point

I just want to know what the nature of their relationship is, if at all

Thanks

Lucia

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I LOST MY BAG IN NEWPORT PAGNELL
Morrissey + Smiths Night
Sat 16th Feb, 8pm
The Cannon, Newport Pagnell High Street
£

A few years ago I went to a billy bragg gig; he was telling a story that one day he had invited some friends, among them Morrissey. Can't remember the details but Moz was to sleep in and apparently he insisted on having a plastic sheet placed under the fitted sheet. Dunno if he was taking a piss but it was a funny story :)
For what it's worth.... but I think they are or have been close :)

I think Billy once stayed at Morrissey's house in LA. I don't know how true this story is, it sounds pretty odd.

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/articles/04/03/13/0614250.shtml?tid=8

Hope that helps,

Forza Mozza x
:guitar:

Hi :)

I did a quick search of the forums but nothing seemed to answer my question..

What I would like to know is - did Morrissey ever say he liked Billy Bragg, or vice versa. I know of Billy Bragg's covers and such, but i thought the reason i started listeing to Bragg was because i was certain Morrissey had name checked HIM at one point

I just want to know what the nature of their relationship is, if at all

Thanks

Lucia

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I LOST MY BAG IN NEWPORT PAGNELL
Morrissey + Smiths Night
Sat 16th Feb, 8pm
The Cannon, Newport Pagnell High Street
£

he mentioned this story when i saw him a few years ago also ! its obvious on a lyrical level that billy appreciates morrissey ( tho i think its more smiths era than solo) he often plays jeane live (it is slow and very beautiful) and i remember a quote from many a moon ago where he was dumfounded because morrissey summed up in one line of a song " when you cycled by there began all my dreams" what it had took billy a full song to try to say (i think the bragg song was "saturday boy") not sure if the appreciation works both ways tho' . i would like to think that moz would enjoy and appreciate billys way with words too cos he is pretty good at the old lyric game too ( a bit of politics there aside )

Both are great. As I recall I think Bragg opened for Moz at least once...

it's all a bit hazy but... in a magazine interview years ago (can't remember which) the interviewer mentioned that bragg had labelled morrissey's concert performances as 'vaudeville' and what did he think of that. clearly affronted moz replied something along the lines of 'well i won't tell you what i think of his' but then went on to mention that he actually liked him after all. maybe this is what you're thinking of?

it's all a bit hazy but... in a magazine interview years ago (can't remember which) the interviewer mentioned that bragg had labelled morrissey's concert performances as 'vaudeville' and what did he think of that. clearly affronted moz replied something along the lines of 'well i won't tell you what i think of his' but then went on to mention that he actually liked him after all. maybe this is what you're thinking of?

This from a Solo post in 2004:

"I went to the Billy Bragg gig last night in Cologne. It was a great show, and as always, he made a lot of jokes about Morrissey. At the end of the gig he told that he went to see Moz in his house in LA.

They had a good talk, and after a lot of "pints of tea" they went to bed. Billy had to sleep on the first floor in a room that looks like a room in the "Addams Family". It was very cold and there were no toilets on the floor, so he had to went down to the bathroom to get a hot-water bottle.It was warm here and Jimmy Sommerville was lying on the sofa drinking some beer. So he went back up again and recognized that there was a blue rubber sheet on his bed. So probably OASIS were also guests in the house and couldn´t make their way down to the toilet. It was so funny. Then he played a song called "Cindy of a thousand lives" which turned right into "Reel around the fountain".
Billy is still one of my all time favourites..."

I KNEW I heard this story somewhere!:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom