Morrissey borrows books and does not return them.

Librarian On Fire

I'm sucker for reading GQ and Esquire magazines. Both the UK and American editions. Came across this little bit about Morrissey written by Tony Parsons in the June GQ (English edition). I don't think it's been acknowledged on Morrissey Solo. Tony's column was looking at how the older you get rock music seems less relevant. Morrissey and Julie Burchill together. Now that would be a good gossip session. Opening paragraph.

"I realised that rock music was getting a bit long in the tooth on the day that Morrissey came around to my house for tea.

I was newly married, and as I fussed over the tea and biscuits, my young wife called out to me when she saw our visitor approaching.
"Darling" she said. "There's an old man coming up the garden path". I almost dropped the Jaffa Cakes. An old man? Morrissey? An old man? This was not last week. This was way back in the 20th century when Morrissey's solo career still seemed like a bit of a novelty, and the Smiths still loomed large in what was once called youth culture.

But my wife was in her early twenties at the time. And to her, this rock icon looked as though the might need a bit of help across the road, or perhaps be off to the shops to splash out on a couple of tins of cat food. He certainly didn't look young, or vibrant, or potent - all those things that rock music had looked like for as long as I could remember.

An old geezer called Morrissey. I remember that he was fabulous company - as sharp and funny and starling as the songs. "Ohhh," he said, as he looked at my bookcase. "I can already see half a dozen books that I want to borrow."

He went away with a first edition of Albert Goldman's Elvis biography and he still hasn't given it back. An it was a lovely afternoon - like sharing English breakfast tea and Jaffa Cakes with Oscar Wilde. But something changed for me that day.

Morrissey came up our garden path and my young wife saw someone from an older generation. I suddenly realised rock music itself was becoming a lot like bingo. You had to be of a certain age to really enjoy it."

Wow, great story. Thank you. Morrissey was always an old soul.

I would hope Morrissey used the Goldman book for propping up a wobbly table because that's all that book would be worth.

Wasn't "William It was really nothing" written for a friend who had borrowed books from Morrissey and never gave it back?

I'm sucker for reading GQ and Esquire magazines. Both the UK and American editions. Came across this little bit about Morrissey written by Tony Parsons in the June GQ (English edition). I don't think it's been acknowledged on Morrissey Solo. Tony's column was looking at how the older you get rock music seems less relevant. Morrissey and Julie Burchill together. Now that would be a good gossip session. Opening paragraph.

"I realised that rock music was getting a bit long in the tooth on the day that Morrissey came around to my house for tea.

I was newly married, and as I fussed over the tea and biscuits, my young wife called out to me when she saw our visitor approaching.
"Darling" she said. "There's an old man coming up the garden path". I almost dropped the Jaffa Cakes. An old man? Morrissey? An old man? This was not last week. This was way back in the 20th century when Morrissey's solo career still seemed like a bit of a novelty, and the Smiths still loomed large in what was once called youth culture.

But my wife was in her early twenties at the time. And to her, this rock icon looked as though the might need a bit of help across the road, or perhaps be off to the shops to splash out on a couple of tins of cat food. He certainly didn't look young, or vibrant, or potent - all those things that rock music had looked like for as long as I could remember.

An old geezer called Morrissey. I remember that he was fabulous company - as sharp and funny and starling as the songs. "Ohhh," he said, as he looked at my bookcase. "I can already see half a dozen books that I want to borrow."

He went away with a first edition of Albert Goldman's Elvis biography and he still hasn't given it back. An it was a lovely afternoon - like sharing English breakfast tea and Jaffa Cakes with Oscar Wilde. But something changed for me that day.

Morrissey came up our garden path and my young wife saw someone from an older generation. I suddenly realised rock music itself was becoming a lot like bingo. You had to be of a certain age to really enjoy it."

I expect Moz went around Tonys house for an interview he did in the 90s, Tony has always banged on about Moz- I think Moz would much rather share time with Parsons ex wife Julie- in fact I think Julie and Moz email from time to time.

Billy said Moz took a book on James Dean and never gave it back.. The song is meant to be about Billy BUT I don't know if it is..

Other way round...
& I always thought the song was referring to Billy Liar but I suppose the Mackenzie story is more gossip-worthy.

I read another story somewhere about a photographer who lent him some Oscar Wilde books and "hasn't seen them since". Is that what he means by "genius steals" ???

Nice story. I remember when my grandpa saw a picture of Morrissey or saw one of his concerts on TV two years ago, and he said, "He's old!" And he said it like he looked like a really old man. I was thinking, "What? He doesn't look that old; he is so handsome and alive." And I think my grandpa is older than him. Maybe he was shocked because I am a teenager and I like Morrissey so much.

Yes I read it was the other way around (that is more more well known stroy)... but I also read somewhere that Moz took a James Dean book from billy (this maybe false though)

Back
Top Bottom