Morrissey gets some competition in the I Love Animals department.

D

Dave

CSH-013505.jpg

who dresses these clowns? :p

WASHINGTON -
Nick Carter of the pop band Backstreet Boys has been appointed as a U.N. special ambassador of the Year of the Dolphin.

"I was shocked. And happy at the exact same time because I really felt like it was an honor," he told AP Radio News on Thursday.

The Year of the Dolphin campaign is aimed at raising awareness of dolphins in the wild, the threats they face to their survival and actions that could help their wild conservation.

Carter, who starred on the E! Entertainment reality show "House of Carters" with his siblings, said he's still a student of the campaign.

"The issues involved with the dolphins are things that I am learning," the 27-year-old singer said. "I don't want to be this person to come across and say, `Why, I know what's going on' and shove it down people's throats. (Because) I don't know everything."

Carter said he'll expand on the same feelings he expressed in a song he wrote called "Believe" in order to write a new anthem about the plight of dolphins.

"I am probably going to go back to the drawing board and try to outdo myself and write an even better song," Carter said.

CSH-013505.jpg

who dresses these clowns? :p

WASHINGTON -
Nick Carter of the pop band Backstreet Boys has been appointed as a U.N. special ambassador of the Year of the Dolphin.

"I was shocked. And happy at the exact same time because I really felt like it was an honor," he told AP Radio News on Thursday.

The Year of the Dolphin campaign is aimed at raising awareness of dolphins in the wild, the threats they face to their survival and actions that could help their wild conservation.

Carter, who starred on the E! Entertainment reality show "House of Carters" with his siblings, said he's still a student of the campaign.

"The issues involved with the dolphins are things that I am learning," the 27-year-old singer said. "I don't want to be this person to come across and say, `Why, I know what's going on' and shove it down people's throats. (Because) I don't know everything."

Carter said he'll expand on the same feelings he expressed in a song he wrote called "Believe" in order to write a new anthem about the plight of dolphins.

"I am probably going to go back to the drawing board and try to outdo myself and write an even better song," Carter said.
Oh, i can hardly wait, the suspense is killing me! Do you think it'll be as good as Nik Kersaw's "Save the Whale"? (showing my age!)

That was an interesting story. This part especially...

Williams, who turns 30 on May 21, was diagnosed with social anxiety disorder in 2001. He previously admitted that in the past he coped with the stressful disorder by using marijuana. However, last month Williams told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel that yoga had replaced drugs in his life.

"I've been very, very blessed to have found yoga," he said in Grass Valley, Calif., where he teaches yoga. "I've found what I was looking for, and so now there's no need to smoke anymore. I see that I can sit with my legs crossed and my eyes closed for 15 minutes, and I get the same feeling I would get from smoking a joint. ...

"Even if you smoke -- you're stressed and then you smoke and relax for a couple of hours, but you have to do it over and over again. Now [with yoga] if I can maintain this and can have it with me all the time, then it's something that's real."

How funny is it that he is in Grass Valley? What he says about weed is pretty true though. I don't really know if yoga provides the same feeling, but I know the feeling from weed doesn't last. I quit smoking weed a few years ago and didn't do it for three years. Now I do it sometimes. When I don't have it, I have a lot more energy, especially if I smoke a few days in a row and then lay off for a while. I did learn the secret of quitting though. You have to realize that you aren't depriving yourself of anything when you quit because it is a choice you are making. When I tried to cut back it never worked. So sometimes I buy some and smoke it every day and then when it's gone that's it. I'm like a binge drinker. When I have it I smoke as much as I want until it's gone. I don't try to cut back and I don't worry about running out.

I guess I'm saying "I can quit any time", but I'm also doing that because I haven't smoked for a few days. I used to be a regular marijuana smoker, smoking bonghits in the morning before going to school. I used to think I had to have it all the time and I would buy more before I smoked the last of what I had to try to never run out. Now because I have the habit of starting and stopping it isn't any problem to stop.

Remember diet guru Susan Powter? I never read her books but I saw her on tv and she said about food that before she could lose weight she had to binge on food. I totally understand that. Instead of trying to cut back, go ahead and live on ice cream and cake for a couple of days. You'll realize you can eat all the cake and ice cream you want, and then you won't want it so much. I did that with weed when I was really in the habit. Instead of buying little amounts and being in the pattern of buying it all the time, I started buying larger amounts and smoking out. I could smoke all day and not put a dent in the bag. Somehow this made a psychological difference in the way I saw my need to smoke, and it seemed sort of boring, or at least not a big deal. The drama of looking for it and buying it was gone, and I think for some people that is a big part of the appeal. They want to score or they get hooked up in a habit, a pattern of behavior where they go through a lot of hassle to get a reward, and somehow the hassle makes the reward better. If you've ever had to wait for a deal to happen you know what I mean. When it finally happens and you can get high, I guess the relief from the stress of waiting, and the elation of getting what you wanted, adds to the feeling you get from the marijuana itself.

My advice is don't use drugs, even weed, because habits are hard to break, whether you are truly addicted or not. On the other hand, it has it's purpose for some people and it's really nobody else's business.

I have wished I had never used drugs, but using drugs took me into areas I wouldn't have seen otherwise and did teach me some lessons. I'm ambivalent obviously. I would never promote marijuana but it is ridiculous that it is illegal. Putting people in jail for it, putting a mark on their name, does far more damage than marijuana would do.

I've been lucky and have no marks by my name, but I do feel those that do have been done an injustice by our artificial drug laws. Drug use of any kind should not be a criminal offense. The government does not own your consciousness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom