Morrissey interview in the 'Legends' issue of 'Loaded' (Feb. 2013), out tomorrow

Re: Article: Morrissey interview in the 'Legends' issue of 'Loaded' (Feb. 2013), out

Agree with Helen's earlier comment. What a horribly narcissistic out-of-touch little man he's become. Reduced to make bitchy comments about Angel Merkel's choice of clothes, like any x-rate old bully who, back in the 80s, would guffaw at Morrissey's blouses etc. How englightened.

As for UKIP, the other day they sacked their youth chairman because he publicly declared his support for gay people enjoying equal rights. Morrissey would "nearly" vote UKIP and likes "Nigel Farage a great deal". Jesus.

Morrissey is simply all over the place. Delirious in fact. He may slag off the Tories and throw spite at them in an hosepipe sort-of-way, but he doesn't realise that UKIP are even more Tory than the Tories, more pro-Royal, more pro-hunting, more anti-working class, more snobbish than the Tories ever were!

He praises the Germans' current love of art. He slags off the idea of building an art gallery in a working class area.

He keeps hinting at his working class credentials but he mocks David Beckham's own grasp of English. Beckham, of course, guilty of being born into a very working class family, hence his accent and lack of erudition. HOw bad, eh working-class "scrubber" Morrissey?

Oh...and as for Morrissey's love for the working classes. What is that sh** about his ASSISTANT springing to her feet to sprinkle rock salt on his chips in a posh hotel in Knightspbridge?? Is he even serious? "Call me morbid call me pale"? Like some kind of 18th century French royalty, or debauched Roman emperor getting his slaves to feed him grapes?! And then he says "we scrubbers"?! Sod off.

I find Johnny Marr's current interview with Mojo a lot more stimulating, insightful, humble and - needless to say - IN TOUCH with reality. I'm afraid Marr's where the spirit of The Smiths live. Morrissey'd better shut up and spend his time learning how to sprinkle salt on his precious food.
At least he'd stop making a tit of himself.

Re: Article: Morrissey interview in the 'Legends' issue of 'Loaded' (Feb. 2013), out

Oh dear... http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/p...son-to-take-over-lads-mag-loaded-7778497.html and his best friend (on the pay roll) is the manager of a franchised football club... Oh, and isn't the internet brilliant - now we know who Morrissey's minder is http://company-director-check.co.uk/director/909867722

Show me a barrel and watch me scrape it...

Dave

I think I've missed your point. Ian Edmondson met the manager of a football team who knows the guy in charge of Morrissey's security. This person, Liam Nammock is the director of three active companies that provide security services....so?

Agree with Helen's earlier comment. What a horribly narcissistic out-of-touch little man he's become. Reduced to make bitchy comments about Angel Merkel's choice of clothes, like any x-rate old bully who, back in the 80s, would guffaw at Morrissey's blouses etc. How englightened.

As for UKIP, the other day they sacked their youth chairman because he publicly declared his support for gay people enjoying equal rights. Morrissey would "nearly" vote UKIP and likes "Nigel Farage a great deal". Jesus.

Morrissey is simply all over the place. Delirious in fact. He may slag off the Tories and throw spite at them in an hosepipe sort-of-way, but he doesn't realise that UKIP are even more Tory than the Tories, more pro-Royal, more pro-hunting, more anti-working class, more snobbish than the Tories ever were!

It does seem odd that he doesn't quite realise that the UKIP ( from what I've read) represent essentially what the Tea Party does in the US i.e. a smashing up of public/social infrastructure while veiled by the same type of jingoism he rightly reviled when featured in the recent Olympics.

But still , the "General Belgrano" remark , the bit about banning zoos &, &, don't quite seem in keeping with the idea of narcissism and out-of-touchedness ( ?) , do they ?

It does seem odd that he doesn't quite realise that the UKIP ( from what I've read) represent essentially what the Tea Party does in the US i.e. a smashing up of public/social infrastructure while veiled by the same type of jingoism he rightly reviled when featured in the recent Olympics.

But still , the "General Belgrano" remark , the bit about banning zoos &, &, don't quite seem in keeping with the idea of narcissism and out-of-touchedness ( ?) , do they ?

The chips. The fearful assistant sprinkling rock salt on the chips.

Mocking David Beckham's grasp of English/accent. How snobbish is that?

The chips. The fearful assistant sprinkling rock salt on the chips.

Mocking David Beckham's grasp of English/accent. How snobbish is that?

I can only say I didn't find the ( now infamous ?) "chips" incident quite as damning as you may have ...:D

Besides that , I don't know ; it was the one detail reported by the journalist that struck me as a bit of a beat-up. Much like the story from a few years back by the reporter who went undercover in Morrissey's crew and recounted some incident where Moz allegedly made some band member drink too much and perform some sort of gay dance ... or something vaguely like that ... I think... i.e. something most likely benign transformed into cruel exploitation ?

I haven't read the interview as I have no need to, I know roughly what the tone of it will be if not the actual content. I might buy the magazine using Morrissey as a pretence for looking at some glossy pictures of inflated norks but his non musical utterances have bored me for quite some time. The irony is that in his constant criticism of the Beckhams & the Royals, he's become exactly the sort of one note guy as Beckham himself, the sort of celebrity that the glossy press love - hence his being in Loaded. It amazes me that anyone gives a monkeys what a 62 million year old man who hasn't had a record out for a while thinks about anything, I suppose I'd get it if I read 'Heat'

Though what annoys me about his political views isn't the content of them, it's the forum he uses. If you write songs for a living & you can't say what you feel in them, it's perhaps time to find yourself alternative employment. Much like Bono - if he wants to write about world hunger then he should but instead we get donkey frottage like 'It's A Beautiful Day'

The nonsense that passes for insight is out once again. On this site, I mean. All this talk of "pre-2000" and "the spirit of The Smiths" is fairly tragic. As are the ludicrously lofty delarations of Moz being "a joke in the UK" (evidence? Surely not the fact that he came second only to David Attenborough in the BBC's Living Legends poll? Or the fact that his face on magazine covers guarantees extra units sold?) Equally sad is the continual failure (refusal?) to grasp the notion of hyperbole and the concept that Morrissey's words are rarely intended to be taken 100% literally. If you all despise the man and his music, why not close the site down? You can't, you won't. You'll buy the records and the concert tickets - and you'll keep bitching here because you resent the hold he has over your lives. If you really didn't care, you really wouldn't bother posting.

The nonsense that passes for insight is out once again. On this site, I mean. All this talk of "pre-2000" and "the spirit of The Smiths" is fairly tragic. As are the ludicrously lofty delarations of Moz being "a joke in the UK" (evidence? Surely not the fact that he came second only to David Attenborough in the BBC's Living Legends poll? Or the fact that his face on magazine covers guarantees extra units sold?) Equally sad is the continual failure (refusal?) to grasp the notion of hyperbole and the concept that Morrissey's words are rarely intended to be taken 100% literally. If you all despise the man and his music, why not close the site down? You can't, you won't. You'll buy the records and the concert tickets - and you'll keep bitching here because you resent the hold he has over your lives. If you really didn't care, you really wouldn't bother posting.

What an enormous stack of tosh. How tunnel-visioned are you? It's quite simply you have a go at this site for reporting people's feelings. Are you insane? At what point will you stop defending Morrissey's indefensible uttering? When he starts saying he admires Nick Griffin, perhaps, or will you find a way to rationalise that? You're going to find a reason to have a go at this site no matter what, like you have done for ages. It's pathetic.

P.

I was listening to You are the Quarry earlier and Morrissey hasn't changed that much since then, the clues are dotted all throughout the songs. After all he has "a wild man in his head." And I agree that a lot of things that appear in print, especially with Morrissey, often lose their true sardonic meaning. He's a renowned p*ss-taker (in my opinion)

Personally I think (hope?) the "I quite like Nigel Farage" was one of those moments, although the subsequent outrage is surprising considering his ex-pat little Englander views on immmigrations and Europe stretching back to 1992 (The French and the English will never get on....) and as for the online coverage of Morrissey's tourettes like pronouncements this is overdoing it (the Telegraph ffs!):

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/cultur...or-years-who-cares-what-he-thinks-about-ukip/

By the way UKIP seem to be attracting more and more "working-class" voters, people who are fed up with the status quo of mainstream party politics in this country. That is a fact, regardless of what you, me or Morrissey thinks of them.

I did quite like the quote "The Smiths are for life, just not for Christmas."

By the way UKIP seem to be attracting more and more "working-class" voters, people who are fed up with the status quo of mainstream party politics in this country. That is a fact, regardless of what you, me or Morrissey thinks of them.

True, but it doesn't make them any more pleasant. The BNP had a bit of a run a few years ago, got lots of councillors up and down the country, including 3 where I live, and at the first opportunity they were voted out because voters saw what useless, in-fighting, racist arseholes they were. Don't kid yourself, I've already pointed in this thread, UKIP contains racist nutjobs and homophobes. If that's the kind of party Morrissey and others admire, well, good luck to you, you're welcome to your vote. Personally I think such heinous views should be challenged at the ballot box. I think the British electorate at large are able to spot lunatics when given the chance and the information. There's two ways to interpret Morrissey's remark about Farage - he meant it, in which case, either he doesn't know enough about UKIP, or he's lurched alarmingly further to the right; or, he didn't mean it, and said it for effect, in which case, that's pretty sad in it's own right.

P.

Last edited:

UKIP are just the BNP in slightly more expensive suits.

'By the way UKIP seem to be attracting more and more "working-class" voters,'

Absolutely. And do you know why? It's because many people aren't that keen on us giving billions to the EU when all we appear to get in return is a new wave of Eastern European people every time another country joins the EU. That isn't really true of course, appearances can be deceptive.

But you're not, in the eyes of mainstream political parties, allowed to say 'I think England is pretty full, we've got over a million unemployed young people & we haven't got many jobs around, certainly not enough to accommodate people moving from another country that also doesn't have many jobs.'

Because if you say that, you're just a filthy racist.

I think I've missed your point. Ian Edmondson met the manager of a football team who knows the guy in charge of Morrissey's security. This person, Liam Nammock is the director of three active companies that provide security services....so?

Liam is named in the article as being in charge of Morrissey's security, I was bored at work and googled the bloke's name... I wasn't really trying to make a point, apart from echoing the previous post about the journalist being ex-NotW and now editing Loaded - why on earth would Morrissey agree to such an interview. But then, why on earth would Morrissey say some of the things he has said in the interview, I mean, come on, Nigel Farrage... give me strength!

Dave

If you all despise the man and his music, why not close the site down? You can't, you won't. You'll buy the records and the concert tickets - and you'll keep bitching here because you resent the hold he has over your lives. If you really didn't care, you really wouldn't bother posting.

Sorry, mate. I stopped buying his records and going to his gigs quite a few years ago. He's been singing the same boring song since 2006 at least now.

Sorry, mate. I stopped buying his records and going to his gigs quite a few years ago. He's been singing the same boring song since 2006 at least now.

Then why didn't you also stop coming to this site?

The assistant salting his chips- Ridiculous! UK readers are likely to be reminded of Alan Partridge and his PA Lynn...!

Then why didn't you also stop coming to this site?

Why not? Free country isnt it? What are you going to do about it? Farage hasnt won the election yet as far as I know.

Well, do you live in the UK?
Listen, the reason people say things like "The Spirt of the Smiths" and "Pre 2000" is because then Morrissey was actually more than merely a singer.
There are enough singers in the world and artists in Camden, to mean more than being simply a practising artist you have to have something about you, be in touch.
In the Smtihs days Morrissey had all this, he cared enough to make good music, he cared enough to make sure he wasn't interviewed by scum, he cared enough and knew enough to take an interest in the day to day lives of others.
This in turn informed his art.
Now, post 2000, post LA he has become merely a star. Worshipped by Americans and people who are happy to have a "living legend" type ( a title he is fast spending)appear.
People keep bitching because he once meant something, we want that man back (thats fandom).Some of us love him but its becoming clear we don't like him or even want to meet him.
As for the coming second to David Attenborough thing, well those polls don't mean a thing and he came second merely due to an internet trick, fans from around the world voting and re voting (and that was a while ago now). Morrissey in the UK is a joke (which is sad to say), his credit is at best running thin and I for one am not certain he can get it back (I hope he does)
The proof is in he press he gets and the general "word on the street", even among intelligent music people and intelligent former fans
Now, I and others were quick to defend him, as there have been some witch hunts and people whom through jealousy seek to harm him.
Lately, things have changed. He had some good points in this interview and was amusing at times but liking someone who is pro hunting and against homosexual marriage as well as being a crap middle Englander is just taking the piss, as well as praising a thick thug footballer, David Beckham has more about him than that twat. His selfish views on tax and other comments show his humanity is lacking
Last year Moz played only 2 shows in the UK one in Scotland to 3000 people (or so) the other in Manchester. He should have sold this venue out, the truth is he didn't .He filled the place up by having a huge guest list and other tricks. On the day of the concert tickets were still being sold and ticket touts were giving them away.
The reason for this is mixed, constant interviews where we can't always put it down to him being in a mood or pissed (in the English use of the word), treating his fans like a cash machine- his solo remastered offerings and greatest hits are a scam- a set list he has been mostly playing for years and not even giving his fans a decent support band- Kristeen Young maybe cheap and only one person, so easy to have around and its great he is happy to try and help her but that shouldnt mean the fans have to endure her time and time again. Most arrive after she has gone or talk while she goes through the motions-This means the fans have basically been deprived of a support act.
There was a time when he would at least vary things each tour. I understand things have changed and to make money (all he seems to care about these days) an act has to tour this can be hard work and has taken some of the magic away- where once there was passion now a number of gigs are just work throughs.
I still think he has something to offer but he needs to sort f***ing sort it out quick time. His legacy is in trouble

Back
Top Bottom