Morrissey recording new Janice Long BBC Radio2 session today ~ Broadcast next week.

Re: Morrissey recording new Janice Long BBC Radio2 session today ~ Broadcast next wee

The Kids A Looker

At first listen, I cannot get into this at all. Its all over the place.

Re: Morrissey recording new Janice Long BBC Radio2 session today ~ Broadcast next wee

"The Kids a looker"

Promising 20-30 seconds...then the la laaa's absolutely killed it to the extent it sounds like he lost his lyrical notebook.

The tune was 'ok' though.

If Morrissey has an album ready of this material he should first think of finishing the lyrics on a song like this. Again a Refusal leftover at best. Sorry, maybe I have to hear it more often. And yes recently I have been complaining about the negativity here but I am honest!

Whoever said Moz sounded great on that last track has no ears.

He sounds ill and already the die hards are talking about possible cancellations for early tour dates after hearing his voice on these tracks.

This sounds more like a finished product and this one was staying up for untill 2.

Not impressed with any of those...hmmm. Pretty disappointing.

Oh my God, the la la la's have become Whoh Whoh Whoh's...... Well I am off to bed now. Hopefully I can download them somewhere for further listening.

Hope he won't do the Children debacle on tour, the other 2 might grow!

i don't think they're awful, but they're definitely not great.

ACTION IS MY MIDDLE NAME

Biting my initials into your neck
You are my possession
You don’t realise yet
Am I moving too fast for you?
Am I beginning to confuse you?

Action is my middle name
I can’t waste time anymore
Everybody has a date with an undertaker
A date that they cannot break

Tongue against tongue
And we’ve only just begun
Could I interest you in hours of fun?
Am I moving too fast for you ?
Am I beginning to confuse you?

Action is my middle name
I can’t waste time anymore
Everybody has a date with an undertaker
A date they cannot break

THE KID'S A LOOKER

He can’t dance or sing, he can’t do anything
But what the hell, the kid’s a looker
Just………?????????

And there you are, another nonsense non-star

There’s no pretence, this kid is dense
??????

And the crass consumers line up shoulder to shoulder

Sometime through the night, the kid took his life
So very sad, however do not call this number again
We’re busy moaning?? the face of the kid’s replacement

La la la la la la la la la la

PEOPLE ARE THE SAME EVERYWHERE

Set me aside, you’ll find people are the same everywhere
Hoist me from the herd, and people are the same everywhere
Then our creator had to stumble and stall
And our creator had to make the biggest mistake of all!
Yeah, yeah

Set me aside, and you’ll find people are the same everywhere
Scoop me from the group, and groups are the same everywhere
Then our creator had to stumble and stall,
and our creator had to make the biggest mistake of all!
Yeah, yeah yeah

It’s a shame, it’s a shame but people are the same everywhere
“The land of the free” and the “home of the brave” exists nowhere

Here in our loveless nation,
We’re all in a rush to find a lover’s touch
And when it’s found, you wonder why it meant so much
Yeah, yeah

It’s a shame, it’s a shame, but people are the same
It's a shame, it's a shame but people are the same

??

But for a few brief glimmers, all three songs were dull, disappointing and bordering on the line of being cliche.

The vocal melody was stupidly predictable and the lyrics - well - I personally wouldn't be happy with them myself, so for those to be Morrissey lyrics, it is massively disappointing.

Nevertheless, I am hoping that things will get better.

I'd love to hear a studio version of Action. Good song.

i think its
"were moulding the face of the kids replacement"

personally i love them, especially Action

Because I am human, my gut insinct is to be a literalist and get bent out of shape over stupid details. After a number of readings I find these lyrics to be quite intriguing.

His voice did sound scratchy though.

He can’t dance or sing, he can’t do anything
Just………?????????

I think the line is "Just add cash and stir"

Here's my impressions:

1) Action -- my favorite out of the three and worth repeated listens. I liked the piano intro and I really enjoyed the vocal melodies; the song in general is one of his better ones of recent memory. He should definitely get rid of those vocal bits at the end of the song, they aren't needed. The best out of the three!

2) Kid's a Looker -- really didn't do anything for me. Sounded like an outtake of "Years of Refusal" which isn't a good thing! The "La La La's" sounded pretty lazy to me, Moz can do better. Probably a Jesse co-write.

3) People are the Same Everywhere -- much better than Kids a Looker, but just like the previous song Morrissey is once again having to shout over his band to be heard. The guitar riff was nice, but this song reminds me of In the Future When All's Well. It was alright, but poor by Morrissey standards.

It's a bit disappointing, but Action was a pleasant surprise.

Last edited:

'The Kid's A Looker' must be one of the weakest songs I've ever heard from Morrissey.

I'm keen on his reccent material. I rate the past 3 albums quite highly. However, this style, which continues with these songs, sounds incredibly bland now. It has been done to death by him. I really feel he needs a new musical direction. The lyrics are also terribly trite. The last 2 seemed so perfunctory and came across as inane rants instead of lyrics.

I think 'Action Is My Middle Name' is a decent enough song. But it's crying out for a romantic touch with regards to the lyrics.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom