Morrissey Replacing Nine Inch Nails at Riot Fest in Chicago (September 16, 2021)

Riot-Fest.jpeg

https://consequence.net/2021/08/mor...PVNVOwcgexkmVXdK4DfaLZ-SLXMNHWtNuTuvKy81eWE7A

Last edited by a moderator:

people must be allowed to make their own choices.

You can’t force people to do things through punishment.

That’s fine but when they fall ill because of that choice, they fill hospital beds and get in the way of people with illnesses like cancer getting treated.

Yes, although I agree with the Anon poster: impossible to imagine him being on any kind of festival bill here in the UK, moving forward - unless it's his own curated 1-day thing, but even then any bands that appeared on his bill would be mercilessly hounded on Twitter, the Guardian, etc. His audience has definitely shrunk in the US too due to his comments (see any articles on Pitchfork, Stereogum, Brooklyn Vegan) but you're right, not to the same extent - so far...
In all fairness, it doesn't have to be 'mercilessly hounded'. Just calmly pointed out that Morrissey supports and campaigns for far-right politics which is total anathema to most of the indie world that has always been Morrissey's natural home. If anyone disputes this, a link to For Britain's Wikipedia or Morrissey's own website (where he gave his support) ends the argument. Sadly, it's that simple. We know of course that this isn't the full picture - that Morrissey is a deeply muddled man when it comes to politics, and has probably expressed a liking for as many left wing as right-wing figures. But, tragically, the only party he has ever given a full endorsement to is of the far-right - a party that even Farage described as too extreme, and with a Conservative prime minister (Cameron) saying that Morrissey had gone beyond him, in terms of right-wing politics.
Morrissey saying he has never voted makes no difference at all, unfortunately. He needs to say that he regrets supporting For Britain and that he no longer endorses them (he could and should have done this in the recent interview with Sam Rayner). Until he says this clearly, the wider world will assume those are his politics. I remember him hitting the main national news outlets (e.g. BBC News website) three times in 2017 for supposed right-wing (or similarly ugly) views. Once or twice and people might forget. But three times and the perception of him is pretty much fixed. Since then, it's happened another two or three times in the national media.
Outside the UK, although a lot of music fans will know about this, these stories never made national news, so most people's perception of him is probably still anti-monarchy, vegetarian oddball from the Smiths, and the loss of the audience has therefore been much smaller.

That’s fine but when they fall ill because of that choice, they fill hospital beds and get in the way of people with illnesses like cancer getting treated.

Yes, you’d think this issue would be noticed and fixed by now, almost two years into it.
The government has plenty to fund the vaccine, but strangely not enough funds to address this issue of not enough beds. If the government really cared about people’s health they would have addressed this issue by now.

The reality of the situation is that people are not going to listen, especially if they feel that they
are being forced into putting something into their body that they don’t want to put into their body, for whatever reason they have.

It is their body, it is their life.
And no one should be coerced
into making a choice through a punishment and reward system, and that’s what this vaccination status requirement is.

Last edited:
In all fairness, it doesn't have to be 'mercilessly hounded'. Just calmly pointed out that Morrissey supports and campaigns for far-right politics which is total anathema to most of the indie world that has always been Morrissey's natural home. If anyone disputes this, a link to For Britain's Wikipedia or Morrissey's own website (where he gave his support) ends the argument. Sadly, it's that simple. We know of course that this isn't the full picture - that Morrissey is a deeply muddled man when it comes to politics, and has probably expressed a liking for as many left wing as right-wing figures. But, tragically, the only party he has ever given a full endorsement to is of the far-right - a party that even Farage described as too extreme, and with a Conservative prime minister (Cameron) saying that Morrissey had gone beyond him, in terms of right-wing politics.
Morrissey saying he has never voted makes no difference at all, unfortunately. He needs to say that he regrets supporting For Britain and that he no longer endorses them (he could and should have done this in the recent interview with Sam Rayner). Until he says this clearly, the wider world will assume those are his politics. I remember him hitting the main national news outlets (e.g. BBC News website) three times in 2017 for supposed right-wing (or similarly ugly) views. Once or twice and people might forget. But three times and the perception of him is pretty much fixed. Since then, it's happened another two or three times in the national media.
Outside the UK, although a lot of music fans will know about this, these stories never made national news, so most people's perception of him is probably still anti-monarchy, vegetarian oddball from the Smiths, and the loss of the audience has therefore been much smaller.

Yes, lets blame Morrissey for not playing the game and making a public apology. And let’s blame people with short attention spans that only read the clickbait title, go no further, and draw their false conclusions. Also let’s blame media
for creating clickbait and articles with neither depth or reach, that never give a total picture, that never goes into the subjects reasoning, of why he feels the way he does, why he says what he once said.

Not that most really care, they only want to be told who to hate, and be ‘liked’ for hating that person too.

SAM:
You have said that you are apolitical.

M:
This remains true. I haven't ever belonged to a political party,

but you can still have political views without chaining yourself to a tree. But, calm down. There must be a little bit of everything in life, otherwise the tedium of beheading anyone who disagrees with you is not as much fun as an energizing debate and an exchanging of views. It's actually fun, especially after four pints at the Cock 'n Comfort. There's no need to set fire to your hair just because someone prefers Donald Trump to Joe Biden. The world will go on long after you've dropped dead in anger.

SAM:
What do you think of the state of American politics?

M:
I couldn't care less now. I'd rather jump naked into a swimming pool at midnight. The world will spin however it spins. My time on earth is now very limited and although I don't as yet know how, I'm going to try to enjoy it.

SAM:
Some have tried to cancel you because of your views.

M:
You can't cancel someone who has always been cancelled. When did you last see me on television, or hear me on the radio? I unintentionally invented the condition of being cancelled! [laughs] The music industry hasn't ever celebrated me or offered me free food. I've always been treated like a scientific experiment gone wrong. I'm used to it. I've been immune to enemy fire for many years. I wear a bullet-proof vest in the bath. It seems to me that as soon as one person boo's they all start to boo, and then when someone cheers they all start to cheer… but that's just a loose theory. [laughs]

Yes, lets blame Morrissey for not playing the game and making a public apology. And let’s blame people with short attention spans that only read the clickbait title, go no further, and draw their false conclusions. Also let’s blame media
for creating clickbait and articles with neither depth or reach, that never give a total picture, that never goes into the subjects reasoning, of why he feels the way he does, why he says what he once said.

Not that most really care, they only want to be told who to hate, and be ‘liked’ for hating that person too.

SAM:
You have said that you are apolitical.

M:
This remains true. I haven't ever belonged to a political party,

but you can still have political views without chaining yourself to a tree. But, calm down. There must be a little bit of everything in life, otherwise the tedium of beheading anyone who disagrees with you is not as much fun as an energizing debate and an exchanging of views. It's actually fun, especially after four pints at the Cock 'n Comfort. There's no need to set fire to your hair just because someone prefers Donald Trump to Joe Biden. The world will go on long after you've dropped dead in anger.

SAM:
What do you think of the state of American politics?

M:
I couldn't care less now. I'd rather jump naked into a swimming pool at midnight. The world will spin however it spins. My time on earth is now very limited and although I don't as yet know how, I'm going to try to enjoy it.

SAM:
Some have tried to cancel you because of your views.

M:
You can't cancel someone who has always been cancelled. When did you last see me on television, or hear me on the radio? I unintentionally invented the condition of being cancelled! [laughs] The music industry hasn't ever celebrated me or offered me free food. I've always been treated like a scientific experiment gone wrong. I'm used to it. I've been immune to enemy fire for many years. I wear a bullet-proof vest in the bath. It seems to me that as soon as one person boo's they all start to boo, and then when someone cheers they all start to cheer… but that's just a loose theory. [laughs]

Mike is actively trying to promote the idea that Morrissey supports that party.

Which means he's also actively promoting the party.

He's either malicious or far right.

Mike is actively trying to promote the idea that Morrissey supports that party.

Which means he's also actively promoting the party.

He's either malicious or far right.
Nope, I'm explaining why the wider world still thinks he supports the far right, and agreeing with those who say he hasn't got a chance of getting on a UK festival line-up. It seems you don't understand English very clearly but I will repeat, Morrissey is politically muddled.
He does not hold genuinely or consistent right-wing views, but I'm afraid the wider world thinks he does. He's said positive things about Corbyn, Galloway, and Bernie Sanders in relatively recent times, but the only party he's ever gone on record as supporting is For Britain. Any defence of him on social media is therefore instantly rebuked by a link to Wikipedia showing this support. Unfortunately, whether he has ever voted or not is probably irrelevant. I really hope the BBC and indie radio stations who effectively boycotted Dog on a Chain have changed the mind (and will play his new stuff), and that him simply saying he's never voted is enough. I can't see it but I'd be glad to be proved wrong.

Nope, I'm explaining why the wider world still thinks he supports the far right, and agreeing with those who say he hasn't got a chance of getting on a UK festival line-up. It seems you don't understand English very clearly but I will repeat, Morrissey is politically muddled.
He does not hold genuinely or consistent right-wing views, but I'm afraid the wider world thinks he does. He's said positive things about Corbyn, Galloway, and Bernie Sanders in relatively recent times, but the only party he's ever gone on record as supporting is For Britain. Any defence of him on social media is therefore instantly rebuked by a link to Wikipedia showing this support. Unfortunately, whether he has ever voted or not is probably irrelevant. I really hope the BBC and indie radio stations who effectively boycotted Dog on a Chain have changed the mind (and will play his new stuff), and that him simply saying he's never voted is enough. I can't see it but I'd be glad to be proved wrong.

Any credible, responsible journalist would verify their story. Wikipedia is not a credible source. He clearly had no real involvement with that party & has nothing to do with them now.

All you're doing is spreading inaccurate information.

Any credible, responsible journalist would verify their story. Wikipedia is not a credible source. He clearly had no real involvement with that party & has nothing to do with them now.

All you're doing is spreading inaccurate information.
Morrissey is a nationalist, otherwise left-leaning, and probably a bit daft. I rather regret the ignorance defence, because that would make him an idiot (albeit a lucky/gifted one) to my mind.

I remember a friend describing him as ‘a little Englander’ in 1992. The cap fits.

Morrissey is a nationalist, otherwise left-leaning, and probably a bit daft. I rather regret the ignorance defence, because that would make him an idiot (albeit a lucky/gifted one) to my mind.

I remember a friend describing him as ‘a little Englander’ in 1992. The cap fits.
Local jobs for local people!!!!

Anybody remember that from a Smiths video ???

He's not a nationalist in that sense. He's anti-imperialist - he doesn't like American or EU hegemony & neither did most of the left until the 00s.

The NME's interpretation of Finsbury Park was a deliberate lie because he'd refused to do press & had cancelled the second gig.

The follow up in 2007 was younger hacks not realising the older hacks had fabricated the first hit piece.

And Anne Marie isn't even English - she is genuinely a feminist who has become so obsessed with sexism in Sharia law that she's lost her mind. She was claiming the press had lied about her & as the press had lied about Morrissey it's not that surprising that he believed it.

He's not a nationalist in that sense. He's anti-imperialist - he doesn't like American or EU hegemony & neither did most of the left until the 00s.
Ok, Karen. You’re the expert. What DOES he like? 🤪 🤡

The NME's interpretation of Finsbury Park was a deliberate lie because he'd refused to do press & had cancelled the second gig.

The follow up in 2007 was younger hacks not realising the older hacks had fabricated the first hit piece.

And Anne Marie isn't even English - she is genuinely a feminist who has become so obsessed with sexism in Sharia law that's she's lost her mind. She was claiming the press had lied about her & as the press had lied about Morrissey it's not that surprising that he believed it.
Yep. The AM haters, on the left, are about to be tested.

Regarding 2007: no. As the journalist himself was eager to share, he (the NME guy) stayed away from the issue—and Morrissey charged towards it (god bless him).

And Anne Marie isn't even English - she is genuinely a feminist who has become so obsessed with sexism in Sharia law that she's lost her mind. She was claiming the press had lied about her & as the press had lied about Morrissey it's not that surprising that he believed it.
There are lots of Irish and Indian immigrants who don’t recognise\do recognise being English. If there is something Morrissey does well, it’s representing that. It’s confusing but ultimately its a battle for a prioritised narrative of Englishness. That’s all he cares about, actually.

Yep. The AM haters, on the left, are about to be tested.

Regarding 2007: no. As the journalist himself was eager to share, he (the NME guy) stayed away from the issue—and Morrissey charged towards it (god bless him).

Tim was covering his arse - it was the editor's decision to make a big deal out of nothing. Morrissey was so angry he's never talked to them since.

There are lots of Irish and Indian immigrants who don’t recognise\do recognise being English. If there is something Morrissey does well, it’s representing that. It’s confusing but ultimately its a battle for a prioritised narrative of Englishness. That’s all he cares about, actually.

What prioritised narrative of Englishness? He likes old tv, complains about nearly everything & loves animals.

What prioritised narrative of Englishness? He likes old tv, complains about nearly everything & loves animals.
Errm. Yes. Great isn’t it? I definitely want that to be a prioritised narrative of England.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom