Morrissey rising or the way things used to be

manicboy

It didn't used to be like this - bad photo montages by an incorrigible nephew, diatribes against the monarchy at every turn, media silence, no record deal. Back in 2009, Moz had released YoR and a new age was ushered in. With this new age, there was a cataclysmic shift in Moz and it was captured wonderfully by Filter Magazine in 2009.

In the interview, Moz says, "Something within me triggered the understanding that absolutely nothing matters,” he says. “This came from a lifelong worrier. I always over-worried about everything, and over-analyzed and thought really too deeply about every aspect of life. Then suddenly I thought, well, how can anything possibly matter? It doesn’t give one license to be violent or erratic or destructive, but nothing actually matters, and I say that with half a giggle, but it’s true. I mean, it’s not as if any of us are of any particular importance. We are just matter floating around the universe, and anything we do and say has practically no bearing on anything. So, why fold yourself up in a ball of confusion about life?”

I should also reference the song, "That's How People Grow Up", where Moz sings, "I was wasting my life, Always thinking about myself, Someone on their deathbed said, There are other sorrows too."

Finally, Moz is released from his life and all his worries and all his sorrows. He has finally figured out that this game of life should not be taken too seriously and that maybe, maybe life should be laughed at...often. I take great inspiration and strength from this. There is universal truth illuminated in his words and I can't help but be amazed and inspired. The front cover on the magazine cover perfectly says what Moz has awoken to - At ease in the graveyard. It's one of my favorite images and will remain forever so.

Whenever I'm stressed out or worried about something, I pull out this magazine or listen to his music and a certain calm passes over me as the words, music and images sink deep into me, all over again.

http://filtermagazine.com/index.php/exclusives/entry/morrissey_rising/

6a00e54ffb97e6883401053709bbed970b-pi

It didn't used to be like this - bad photo montages by an incorrigible nephew, diatribes against the monarchy at every turn, media silence, no record deal. Back in 2009, Moz had released YoR and a new age was ushered in. With this new age, there was a cataclysmic shift in Moz and it was captured wonderfully by Filter Magazine in 2009.

In the interview, Moz says, "Something within me triggered the understanding that absolutely nothing matters,” he says. “This came from a lifelong worrier. I always over-worried about everything, and over-analyzed and thought really too deeply about every aspect of life. Then suddenly I thought, well, how can anything possibly matter? It doesn’t give one license to be violent or erratic or destructive, but nothing actually matters, and I say that with half a giggle, but it’s true. I mean, it’s not as if any of us are of any particular importance. We are just matter floating around the universe, and anything we do and say has practically no bearing on anything. So, why fold yourself up in a ball of confusion about life?”

I should also reference the song, "That's How People Grow Up", where Moz sings, "I was wasting my life, Always thinking about myself, Someone on their deathbed said, There are other sorrows too."

Finally, Moz is released from his life and all his worries and all his sorrows. He has finally figured out that this game of life should not be taken too seriously and that maybe, maybe life should be laughed at...often. I take great inspiration and strength from this. There is universal truth illuminated in his words and I can't help but be amazed and inspired. The front cover on the magazine cover perfectly says what Moz has awoken to - At ease in the graveyard. It's one of my favorite images and will remain forever so.

Whenever I'm stressed out or worried about something, I pull out this magazine or listen to his music and a certain calm passes over me as the words, music and images sink deep into me, all over again.

http://filtermagazine.com/index.php/exclusives/entry/morrissey_rising/

6a00e54ffb97e6883401053709bbed970b-pi

That picture of him is truly tranquil. Who took that photo?

Great interview. That seems a middle-age crisis look on life and things. Realization time :)
Most part of our process of socialization is to make us believe the importance of unimportant things. Some people realize that before others, and some people die without ever questioning anything. Anyway, nothing matters at all. Not a single stupid thing people care about is important. Life is an illusion.

Good spot. It's somewhat true that almost nothing matters objectively because we have no real real knowledge of objectivity. What matters is what you believe matters at the moment you ask yourself for your own reasons. It's a very freeing idea

Someone hurry up and reference what difference does it make. I'm getting old here

this thread caused me to think about Morrissey today on my walk to work. nothing new. I generally think about Morrissey on my way to work. the walk home may be filled with other thoughts--people I saw that day, funny things that happened, the wretchedness of the sun--but I always like to start my day thinking about Morrissey and nearly walking into lamp posts. there are few such pure unadulterated joys in life. and the thought that occurred to me today was that I'm glad--not just glad but proud--of Morrissey for not giving a f*** what boring staid curmudgeons think about his rants or his nephews collages, but continuing writing them or allowing them to be posted anyway. because "don't give a f***" Morrissey is a magnificent beast. no one has ever been as hilariously awesome as "don't give a f***" Morrissey.

but as for the topic at hand, I think most people who start out over analyzing things always end up by not caring about those things that had them so stressed or anxious. life, you see, dearest mozzer, is like a james bond film. I realized this at the dawn of my girlhood. do you like james bond? I suppose that's one of the things we can discuss when we go blazer shopping. well, let me say, I don't. whenever I use to watch james bond--when a friend insisted on seeing it at the movie theatre or whatnot-- I felt like I didn't get it, like I was missing something. because surely if everyone likes it so much there has to be more to it. and so I would analyze it, looking for the hidden meaning, thinking that if I paid close enough attention it would open up it's secret to me. to no avail. then one day my dad shone light on the whole sordid business by informing me that in reality there was nothing to get. it is what it is, to use that loathsome phrase (would you believe, MOZ, I once heard some lady say "it is what it is, and that's just what it is"? isn't that disgusting?). anyway, it was a very freeing moment. because it was then that I realized that it's not that everyone else was in on something that I wasn't, it's just that people really are that entertained by stupid shit. I mean, I still hate james bond, but now rather than puzzling myself about it, I just write it off altogether.

although I don't think that means you shouldn't care about anything. I think you should still care about your character. to look at the world and see that it ultimately means nothing and yet to still care about yourself and who you become is a way of winning at life. and so I say to you, dearest mozzer, that even if you had been sentenced to a lifetime of shovelling asphalt you would still ultimately be a winner at life, and not just because you always have the nicest blazers that you unfailingly manage to look so smart and stylish and dashing in. by the way, have you bought any nice ones lately, my sweet?!

this thread caused me to think about Morrissey today on my walk to work. nothing new. I generally think about Morrissey on my way to work. the walk home may be filled with other thoughts--people I saw that day, funny things that happened, the wretchedness of the sun--but I always like to start my day thinking about Morrissey and nearly walking into lamp posts. there are few such pure unadulterated joys in life. and the thought that occurred to me today was that I'm glad--not just glad but proud--of Morrissey for not giving a f*** what boring staid curmudgeons think about his rants or his nephews collages, but continuing writing them or allowing them to be posted anyway. because "don't give a f***" Morrissey is a magnificent beast. no one has ever been as hilariously awesome as "don't give a f***" Morrissey.

but as for the topic at hand, I think most people who start out over analyzing things always end up by not caring about those things that had them so stressed or anxious. life, you see, dearest mozzer, is like a james bond film. I realized this at the dawn of my girlhood. do you like james bond? I suppose that's one of the things we can discuss when we go blazer shopping. well, let me say, I don't. whenever I use to watch james bond--when a friend insisted on seeing it at the movie theatre or whatnot-- I felt like I didn't get it, like I was missing something. because surely if everyone likes it so much there has to be more to it. and so I would analyze it, looking for the hidden meaning, thinking that if I paid close enough attention it would open up it's secret to me. to no avail. then one day my dad shone light on the whole sordid business by informing me that in reality there was nothing to get. it is what it is, to use that loathsome phrase (would you believe, MOZ, I once heard some lady say "it is what it is, and that's just what it is"? isn't that disgusting?). anyway, it was a very freeing moment. because it was then that I realized that it's not that everyone else was in on something that I wasn't, it's just that people really are that entertained by stupid shit. I mean, I still hate james bond, but now rather than puzzling myself about it, I just write it off altogether.

although I don't think that means you shouldn't care about anything. I think you should still care about your character. to look at the world and see that it ultimately means nothing and yet to still care about yourself and who you become is a way of winning at life. and so I say to you, dearest mozzer, that even if you had been sentenced to a lifetime of shovelling asphalt you would still ultimately be a winner at life, and not just because you always have the nicest blazers that you unfailingly manage to look so smart and stylish and dashing in. by the way, have you bought any nice ones lately, my sweet?!
I will never go blazer shopping with you. Get it out of your head already. It was fun here until you came along. Now I just want you to go away. Just go away.
S.P.M.

Manicboy, I completely agree. This FILTER article was a particularly insightful one, and the photo essay was one of his most iconic set of recent pics.
I remember when WPINOYB got released, I was a little disappointed that there weren't similar in-depth Moz photo shoots/interviews to help promote the new LP.* And interesting though they were, all those articles featuring the band and Joe C. weren't really the same thing.

*I realize he got sick in June 2014, which may have put paid to any that had been planned by no fault of his own, just an observation....

That picture of him is truly tranquil. Who took that photo?

The photos in the article were taken by Moz favorite Michael Muller.

Last edited:
I remember now, defending this:
"I was driving my car
I crashed and broke my spine
So yes there are things worse in life than
Never being someone's sweetie"
It is deliberately offhand or casually phrased. The style or tone of the way it is written matches the message perfectly. I don't remember the Filter interview but I do think it adds context to this song. Looking back on it I still think it's a very good song.

I remember now, defending this:
"I was driving my car
I crashed and broke my spine
So yes there are things worse in life than
Never being someone's sweetie"
It is deliberately offhand or casually phrased. The style or tone of the way it is written matches the message perfectly. I don't remember the Filter interview but I do think it adds context to this song. Looking back on it I still think it's a very good song.

To me, it's more than a great song. It's an epic breakthrough!

And we're shaking hands, goodnight, so politely.

Back
Top Bottom