Morrissey t-shirt with the queen in 2015 tour merchandise / @morrisseygang image

Re: Morrissey tshirt with the queen "The more you ignore me, the closer I get"

Take them to the cleaners. It's your work, you made it clear your terms, and if what you say is accurate, they've ridden rough-shod over your wishes. If you need legal advice, let me know, I'm married to a lawyer.

P.

*EDIT* I note it's not exactly the same image. There's a different queen. Hmm. Not sure. I'll ask for you. But I would have thought that there's a clear line of communication, they took your idea, they are making money from it, and you are not.

Last edited:
It's no longer on Mporium as of late last night.

How sad that a bunch of design hacks needed to be shamed by social media to realized that what they did was unethical, to say the least.

It's bad enough that artist need to be on their guard when they deal with clients; but when artists rip off other artists because they are so creatively bankrupt that they don't know what to put on a tshirt that would appeal to fans, then these are dark days indeed.

Everything has a price. Germs discovered in laboratories have patents; real estate moguls sell "air space" around buildings; the Marvin Gaye estate just won a huge ruling over a popular song that heavily borrowed on the artist's rhythm and instrumentation on one of his songs. Did you know some people get paid six figures just to sit around and think of concepts to make you want to buy something?

I'm not saying it's right or wrong; it's just life in the 21st century. Bottom line -- people have the right to be compensated for their work.

when artists rip off other artists because they are so creatively bankrupt that they don't know what to put on a tshirt that would appeal to fans, then these are dark days indeed.

Twas ever thus: it's called " being influenced/inspired by" because it's not the same image. Duh.

How sad that a bunch of design hacks needed to be shamed by social media to realized that what they did was unethical, to say the least.

It's bad enough that artist need to be on their guard when they deal with clients; but when artists rip off other artists because they are so creatively bankrupt that they don't know what to put on a tshirt that would appeal to fans, then these are dark days indeed.

Everything has a price. Germs discovered in laboratories have patents; real estate moguls sell "air space" around buildings; the Marvin Gaye estate just won a huge ruling over a popular song that heavily borrowed on the artist's rhythm and instrumentation on one of his songs. Did you know some people get paid six figures just to sit around and think of concepts to make you want to buy something?

I'm not saying it's right or wrong; it's just life in the 21st century. Bottom line -- people have the right to be compensated for their work.

How sad, as usual solo has a negative spin on this. I think it is really cute and shows the odd bond he has with his fans. The naked picture of Moz and song quote belongs to Moz. The Queen image doesn't belong to the fan either.

Not worth suing since the shirt won't sell. That is just not something most people are going to wear on their bodies. Just be flattered and try to get a signed copy of something or something else that is not cash. I am not saying it's right but it's not going to be some huge moneymaker for him. They won't even sell enough for the attorney fees. No offense to you it's just a very controversial image. Thanks for creating it!

- - - Updated - - -

BTW they stole Fred Perry logo as well now that I look at the shirts. Don't think Fred Perry will come after him any time soon.

Were these pictures taken before the gig? Why is the merch girl setting up and there's no people around? Where'd you get these photos?

You can't copyright an idea. Simple as that, sorry.

If it's any consolation, your Photoshopping skills are superior to those of the Mporium graphic designer. WTF is up with that speech bubble's placing on top of the main MORRISSEY logo? Totally amateur-hour...

You can't copyright an idea. Simple as that, sorry.

If it's any consolation, your Photoshopping skills are superior to those of the Mporium graphic designer. WTF is up with that speech bubble's placing on top of the main MORRISSEY logo? Totally amateur-hour...

Yes, you can. It's call intellectual property. The concept was his.

End of story.

End of story.

This. In America at least. I've thought about this too much and realize I'm not sure if it's a universal standard.

Not sure how I feel about this whole thing. Technically, it's two images that were taken from the World Wide Web and merged via Photoshop. (Peter, I'm not making light of your work since I, too, take images from the Web and hand paint them onto things all the time so I know you sat down and worked on it for a while...totally understand!)

While I know that it took our Mozfan-pal time, energy and effort to do the work and it was his idea to create the final image, it's still just that: two images taken from the Web and merged into another one. I think that the people at M-Porium should have DEFINITELY, in the least, given him credit for the idea they used on the shirts. If they initially offered him funds and he didn't want to take advantage of quoting too much for the idea and he placed the ball back in their court, they really should have followed through and made a financial offer instead of just grabbing the Photoshopped idea and running with it (with no credit to Peter).

I feel like that's kind of crappy. Credit, in the least, would have been great and apology would be nice because Peter was obviously confused over how they handled everything.

But...it gets into a gray area when you remember that it's just the merged images that are probably copyrighted to begin with.

End of story.

Not quite:

Section 102(b) of the Copyright Act specifically states: “In no case does copyright protection for an original work of authorship extend to any idea, procedure, process, system, method of operation, concept, principle or discovery, regardless of the form in which it is described, explained, illustrated or embodied in such work."

Actually, to be fair, the OP has gone beyond the idea stage and produced an image, which Mporium has clearly ripped off. However, Mporium has also made enough changes to the image (a new Queen) so that it is not exactly the same image. Whether or not those changes are sufficient toward off a copyright infringement case is a moot point, as, as many here have pointed out, the OP's work was itself derived from work owned by other creators.

Not quite:

Section 102(b) of the Copyright Act specifically states: “In no case does copyright protection for an original work of authorship extend to any idea, procedure, process, system, method of operation, concept, principle or discovery, regardless of the form in which it is described, explained, illustrated or embodied in such work."

Actually, to be fair, the OP has gone beyond the idea stage and produced an image, which Mporium has clearly ripped off. However, Mporium has also made enough changes to the image (a new Queen) so that it is not exactly the same image. Whether or not those changes are sufficient toward off a copyright infringement case is a moot point, as, as many here have pointed out, the OP's work was itself derived from work owned by other creators.

if moz sells his tshirt in the states, the op can take him to the cleaners. we are not talking ideas, we are talking moz putting his mouth on the queens mouth, which is what the moz rip off tshirt has.

Could he be sued by the original photographer. This is similar to the Obama election poster.

Tags
mfl morrissey mporium the queen tshirt

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom