Morrissey @ The Surf Ballroom

hepsuba

When I got the email from "Songkick" informing me of a Morrissey concert at Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, Iowa I was sure I was hallucinating! I was so excited that I almost passed out! I'm only 45 miles from Clear Lake and my partner and I consider it our most favorite place for a day trip. Clear Lake is so named because it has a large, clean, great for swimming lake that is surrounded by many resorts and cabins. Many people from Minneapolis and Des Moines have summer homes on Clear Lake so this small town of 8,000 can fill up with people on any given day. The town is Rock n Roll legend for hosting the last Buddy Holly concert in addition to being the site of the plane crash that ended his life. There is a small memorial to Buddy Holly and the others who perished and it's located at the crash site. The Surf Ballroom is small and this has to be the smallest venue ever played by Morrissey. I encourage other Morrissey fans to consider attending this concert just for the excitement of seeing him in such an intimate setting. Because of it's history the Surf attracts many big names like ZZtop, Slash, Merle Haggard and even Kevin Costner! Everyone in Clear Lake is polite (In my state we refer to this phenomenon as "Minnesota Nice") so it's not uncommon for the acts to casually mingle with fans or autograph seekers. Brian Wilson performed at the Surf last summer and I was told after the concert he invited fans on his bus for autographs and photos. Can't wait until October!

I was initially surprised that he'd be playing Clear Lake and didn't expect there to be many people going but it seems like it's one of the most talked about shows and I already know several people who are going. Strange.

he has played smaller venues. I think the Surf website says they can hold 2,000 or so, no? Capitol Ballroom in DC show, '97, only held 1050 if I remember correctly.

So does anybody have any idea what the smallest venue he's playing this tour is?

Columbus holds 2200

Any chance Columbus sells out any time soon?
Doubtful, atleast thats my guess.I'm pretty sure the Presale didn't even sell out, but I'm just guessing.I'd say you have a few more days atleast?? Hell you may have all summer, Ohio isn't that hip really( I live in cincy, and the music we get is crap)

I got tickets, and I'm meeting three friends from loooooong ago there. I cannot f***ing wait.

The Orange Peel is the smallest venue on this tour which holds 942. The second smallest is The Marquee Theater in Tempe which has a capacity of 1000.

Just scored tickets to the Clear Lake show and am driving up with friends from St Louis. What's the skinny on line up? Are they cool with folks "camping out" on the sidewalk? Thanks for any intel and I look forward to seeing you good people there.

Just scored tickets to the Clear Lake show and am driving up with friends from St Louis. What's the skinny on line up? Are they cool with folks "camping out" on the sidewalk? Thanks for any intel and I look forward to seeing you good people there.

They'd better be, because there are going to be campers regardless. The venue is on a pretty quiet street a couple blocks from downtown Clear Lake. IIRC, the houses on the other side of the street back up to the lake, and it's quite beautiful. The Surf parking lot is pretty big, so there should be more than enough room to queue up.

If you're coming in from out of town, be sure to budget some time to visit the Buddy Holly/Ritchie Valens/Big Bopper crash site, a couple miles outside of town. Or just visit it if you like lots and lots of corn. It's quintessentially Iowan. http://members.clearlakeiowa.com/li...hie-valens-jp-the-big-bopper-richard-7383.htm

Oh, and good luck finding vegetarian food. This is corn and hog country, so vegetarian options are very limited. I think I had to get a grilled cheese at the Dairy Queen on the way into town.

I will driving up from Des Moines for the show. Would someone give an idea on how early I should arrive.

Surf ballroom postponed

Their website has the show postponed and I fear it will be canceled. Anyone have any more info?

Re: Surf ballroom postponed

Their website has the show postponed and I fear it will be canceled. Anyone have any more info?

Did you read the front page of Solo or TTY?? We're all waiting on news... Good news I hope!

This will be my first show. I am trying to guess what time to arrive. Can anyone give any estimate on what the crowd will be like and will arriving a few hours early be enough, not enough, or just right?

And the Feb 5 date is delayed. They say make up days to be determined. Hope to hear soon.

Back
Top Bottom