Morrissey with a hearing aid

Kleinfeld

Whenever Morrissey is talked about (circa 1980s, Smiths era), a 'hearing aid' is always mentioned. But I've never seen any photos of Moz with a hearing aid from that era.

Anyone got any pics?

Cheers!

:squiffy:

Whenever Morrissey is talked about (circa 1980s, Smiths era), a 'hearing aid' is always mentioned. But I've never seen any photos of Moz with a hearing aid from that era.

Anyone got any pics?

Cheers!

:squiffy:

There's loads out there - here's one example.

I've never thought it's a real hearing aid though, I do believe it's one of these. Unless he has a battery box lurking by his belt, I've always thought it was just a crystal earpiece, 'cos he couldn't find a real hearing aid like he wanted. Comme d'habitude, I await to be corrected.

In homage to Johnny Ray, apparently. Which was one of my questions on telly.

P.

He said it was because a deaf fan had written about being made fun of for their hearing aid, and he was showing solidarity.

Why do you sometimes wear a hearing aid?
"Some people think it's a kind of sick joke, but the truth is, a fan wrote to me telling me that she was deaf and felt very depressed about her handicap. At that time, we'd released 'What Difference Does It Make', which is all about appearance making no difference to you. I tho...ught it would be a nice gesture to wear the hearing aid on Top Of The Pops to show the fan that deafness shouldn't be some sort of stigma that you try to hide. Basically, I was trying to give her a bit of confidence in herself." 1984, but not sure which interview

Last edited:
Post-Smith's era, but he's wearing one on his left ear in the November Spawned A Monster video.

Also, if you watch, carefully, the classic TOTP appearance for 'Everyday Is Like Sunday' you can spot the old white ear-piece dangling from beneath his loose suit jacket, and swinging about during the performance.
A nice knowing nod I thought...

Back
Top Bottom